films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

I looked up Panic Beats on the IMDb and came across this review, hopefully from someone who's first language isn't English:

"Paul Nashy exhibits breast but he was weightlifting champion.Julia Saly interprets the suffered wife and Lola Gaos is the old servant.Abundant nudism in charge of Pat Ondiviela."
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

He's not a slim man, so breasts are most certianly on the agenda, both a pair of nubile ladies' and the man's very own. It's quite hypnotically nauseating.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Davo
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Davo »

Naschy's puppies are probably the largest on display in the film, frankly.

His bath-time 'love scene', complete with discarded cigar stub (euchh) is one of the films many offensive visual 'treats', alongside the films relentlessly vulgar interior design (wood pannelling and garish flock wallpaper in almost EVERY scene).

A genuine oddity, even by Naschy's standards.
James W
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by James W »

Diary of the Dead at last, marvelous George
And it's hello from me, "Hello"

You might know me from such places as FrightFest, Horror Channel, Beyond and many many more!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Sheitan, i was really expecting more from this madness with Vincent Cassel,i felt let down by it not neccessarily the films fault but maybe i had high expectations from it,still what was that girl doing to that dog :shock: bizarre stuff,nearly as bad as calvaire,and that was bizarre :shock:.

The Crow i just love it so and it launched a million angst ridden goths who just want to be Eric Draven :D superb
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Eyes Of Crystal,wow what a film,this was superb in every way,the acting, production,direction,cinematography,and the score just wonderful,watching the film its very stylish,and very much influenced by David Finchers se7en,but even if your not a giallo,or horror fan this is so enjoyable,gruesome & graphic in its depiction of murders,but just wonderful to watch,and Lucia Jimenez incredibly beautiful.
i must own this
:D
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

nice words about eyes, as you would probably imagine it was always one of mine and alan's favourites and we were pleased and proud to put it out under the ff banner
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

The mighty Dario Argento's first entry in the Masters Of Horror, Jenifer, is generally pretty twisted stuff, and satisfyingly nasty in places. Though I saw the end coming quite early on (and I'm not familiar with the comic strip it's derived from) I still enjoyed it a lot while finding it creepy and a little disturbing.

It's Argento however, and the sad truth of it is that bar a few fleeting moments (the cleaver reflection at the start is a nice one) it feels... well, ordinary. Generic. Anonymous. I'm not asking for the visual audacity of a Suspiria or an Opera here (come to think of it, maybe I am), but I really hoped there'd be more of that indefinable quality of Argento-ness that you find in those films and others. It's there, but much diluted - maybe by age, maybe by network constraints, maybe by money. And I hope it's there in Pelts which is sitting next to the DVD player right now.

And that's what I mean when I say I'm eager to see Mother of Tears even though Alan Jones says it's the worst thing Dario's done and one of the other FF head honchos (Paul or Ian) blogged from Toronto that he'd fallen asleep. That Dario-ness. I want more of it.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Team Banzai wrote:nice words about eyes, as you would probably imagine it was always one of mine and alan's favourites and we were pleased and proud to put it out under the ff banner
I can totally see why,its a gem haven't read a bad thing about it,have the filmmakers got anything new on the horizon?
next up is Fragile for me from the REC guys
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Pelts - much better with a spectacularly gory finale that has that sustained Argento nastiness and madness. The hows and whys of some of the plot are a bit peculiar, but that's to be expected. Enjoyed.
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

I didn't get on with Pelts at all - one of the few Masters of Horror series that I haven't enjoyed.

It was hard to get over seeing Meatloaf giving it to a woman from behind :? - that's not an image I want in my head!
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

RAMBO.

Far better than anyone could ever have hoped for. Sure its not First Blood but its the best of the sequals. Part of me screams for a part 5 part of me wants this to be it.

The theme tune makes a welcome reappearence only not in the bombastic way it was used in 2-3.

The gore is plentiful and yes it is cgi enhanced but it doesnt distract. The violence is often shocking and far from what we are used to in the multiplex unless in a more "worthy war drama. The scenery is as gorgeous as the carnage is grim. Shaky cam makes an appearance but its def' been informed by its use in Saving Private Ryan as it enchances the scene and is not hard to follow.

Stallone keeps Rambos dialogue to a minimum and thankfully forgoes any return to the chest beating waffle he spouted at the end of part 2, and drops the one liners from part 3 altogether. But this is no Superman Returns and no snide attempts are made to ignore the prior movies.

The mercenary characters are given plenty of screen time, come across as authentic and are plausible. This is no one man show and if one misses the Rambo-stalk-and-kill scene its coz Stallone is acknowledging Rambos age. Replacing it is the fantastic HUGE GUN on a Jeep scene.

Think of this as a well done version of those straight to video MIA movies mixed with a little of Uncommon Valour.

The message is cynical, but Rambo himself always has been. The movie is far better than Blood Diamond in making a movie out of real world events.

Serious minded and a worthy attempt to remind the world that theres other trouble spots out there. That the film is banned in Burma is not surprising. At the same time it knows its just a work of fiction and a violent actioner. This is the film they probably wanted Rambo 3 to be.

See it.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

I KNOW WHO KILLED ME.

Couldn't resist taking a look at Lindsay Lohan's notorious(ly bad) attempt at appearing in a film for 'grown-ups'. Dear sweet Lord it's bad. Example? The finale of this serial killer thriller takes place in a thunderstorm complete with several shots of a hooting owl and relies on a plot device so utterly preposterous that you simply can't believe that the scriptwriter had the temerity to commit it to paper, let alone the director to film it.

You end up feeling a bit sorry for LL, who seems to have her problems and must have desperately hoped that this would land her with some much sought after credibility. Not for the first time, it would appear she was very badly advised.

If you like your films Catwoman bad - I urge you to seek this out.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I really want to see I Know Who Killed Me, just to see for myself how bad it is... :oops: Hoping it pops up in my mate's DVD shop soon.

Back at the multiplex... well, actually I had to renew my membership to the Duke's to see There Will Be Blood since it wasn't playing at our Cineworld, despite them showing the trailer repeatedly for the past month. I know a lot of people who highly rate TWWB but I'm not one of them. I'll agree that Daniel Day Lewis puts in a powerhouse performance, and the cinematography is excellent. And I'd also single out Jonny Greenwood's score which is one of the best I've heard in ages. But, as a whole, I just didn't get into the film. The dialogue-free opening 20mins is the best, watching DDL at work, and it's engaging as he arrives in a new town to drill for oil and negotiates with the locals... from then on, yawn... 90mins of tedium. I felt every one of those minutes. I saw the film with two friends who both enjoyed PTA's other films and was surprised to find they agreed with me. I think we're in the minority though... :?

One good thing about the Duke's is their late shows on Fri/Sat, so this Friday I went to see Blade Runner: The Final Cut up on the big screen (sold out too!) It's been a while since I last watched the film and it was great seeing this new digital print - the film has never looked better. The production design still amazes and it just shows what can be done without resorting to CGI (remember, this film is now 25 yrs old!). There's a few little tweaks here and there, all for the better... and it's funny, all the talk of whether Deckard is a replicant or not, I honestly don't think that's important either way. Classic, timeless sci-fi and worth seeing on the big screen again if you get the opportunity.

One sci-fi film to definitely avoid is Jumper. Samuel L. Jackson's dodgy bleached barnet is just the tip of the iceberg here... Doug Liman needs to have a sit down and think about what he's done here. Remember, this is the man who kicked off the Bourne franchise. Jumper is all over the place - nothing is explained properly (how they learn to jump, why the 'Jumpers' are fighting the 'Paladins'...) and you don't care about any of the characters - Hayden Christensen is particularly arrogant and unlikeable. The only person who seems to be having any fun at all is Jamie Bell, who I feel sorry for - he deserves better than this. See Hallam Foe instead. Anyway, storywise this is STUPID and yes, it deserves capitals. HC meets the love of his life in a bar, years after she thought he'd died... hours later they're on holiday in Rome. No no no no no no no no NO! Watching this film made me very angry, do they really think we're this dumb? Jump as far away from this turd as fast as you can. :x

I did see Cloverfield again though, and that was still good on second viewing. Didn't spot anything crashing into the ocean right at the end though, contrary to those internet rumours...

Finally, I saw U2 3D. On my own. Yes, I was the only person in the whole auditorium which felt very weird, especially for a concert film... oh well, it was 1pm on a Friday afternoon. I guess you need to be a U2 fan to shell out to see this, but that's where the Unlimited card comes in handy... I wanted to check out the 3D live action. And it's pretty impressive, although they really only used it to the max when The Fly was performed and they threw loads of graphics on the screen too - very effective. Exciting stuff though, and I can't wait for the first proper 3D live action movie. This is the future of cinema right here right now...[/i]
First things first, stay calm.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

So miffed that the first live action 3D film is a U2 concert as I can't bear them!
At the moment even my love of 3D can't get me down to the IMAX...may give in depending on what I hear of it.