films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Horrorshow
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: films we just saw

Post by Horrorshow »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R2r_EuqGkI

game, set, match. Ashley, I say I say Ashley I say
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Breathless aka Ddongpari - this South Korean drama is essentially the Asian Nil By Mouth, a gritty urban drama about thuggish debt collector Sang Hoon (played brilliantly by the film's writer/director Yang Ik-Joon) who beats up practically every other character in the film at some point. Sang Hoon's chaotic life starts to come into focus through his relationship with a strong willed schoolgirl. The film essentially examines how Sang Hoon's low level gangster culture has it's roots in familial violence.

This sounds like a tough watch, and indeed many critics seem to have found it so. However while the film is gritty, I found it's characters compelling. Like the best Mike Leigh or Ken Loach films there is humour and humanity in the film that means it isn't (or at least it wasn't to me) difficult to watch, even enjoy.

The Guardian called it "horrible and sadistic", I couldn't disagree more.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

A double bill of horror on friday night

The Dark
,havent seen this for years but enjoyable nonsense with a zombie walking round LA ripping peoples heads off,very little gore and quite tame but neat ideas poorly executed a cult classic.
The Being another inventive 80s movie with a great monster and gore galore lots of fun,played well with the above film or with chud a similar movie.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

Last night i watched I KNOW WHO KILLED ME.

And...

Was it a great film? no. Was it a good film? no.

Was it a terrible film that deserved all those razzie nominations and wins?
No.

For me I KNOW WHO KILLED ME wasn't as painful on the eyes as i thought it would be.

The main bad points are: Lindsay lohan. not because she is a bad actress (because she's not). But she was ALL wrong for this part. Like in my opinion, mischa barton with WALLED IN. I think BOTH films could have benefited from someone MUCH lower key in the lead roles. The plot needed some extra beef to it, but all in all...it wasn't as bad as everyone said it was.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Watched the grim and uncomfortable viewing of Precious. Thought it was excellent. Outstanding performances from the lead and her mother. Was a bit surprised about the press reaction to Mariah Carey. She was well overshadowed by some first class acting.

Seems to be quite a few grim films I've be watching recently. So went home and put on Now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry from Love Film. That was very amusing.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Rue-morgue Jay wrote:Last night i watched I KNOW WHO KILLED ME.

And...

No.
It's just been nominated for "Worst picture of the Decade" in the upcoming Razzies.

Grrr - I love this movie! :D
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

Finally got round to watching 'Irreversible', horrible film but very good and a must see at the same time! Loved the sound and camera effects in the nightclub scene. 8)
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

A Prophet (Un prophète)

Tough, brutal French prison drama, but wow... amazing.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Rue-morgue Jay wrote:Last night i watched I KNOW WHO KILLED ME.

And...

No.
It's just been nominated for "Worst picture of the Decade" in the upcoming Razzies.

Grrr - I love this movie! :D
I consider it a guilty pleasure, it's all over the place but worst film of the decade? I don't think so. Lohan's performance however, well that's another matter.

Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Currently just finished off the brilliant nostalgic 1950's gem THEM!, a great movie from my childhood.

Secondly, a film someone pointed out to me at a local cinema gathering called American Splendor which i also thoroughly enjoyed and Paul Giamatti acting was top notch.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Daybreakers - Thought it started with a bit of wit and imagination but soon ran out of steam and went back to run-of-the-mill vampire movie standbys. Even a bit of late gore and Blade style pyrotechnics couldn't save it.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Well I just saw Philip Ridley's Heartless after missing it at last year's FF. Kinda glad I did as the reported comments during the Q&A from the producer would have wound me up no end.

However away from that controversy - so well detailed on the FF2009 thread - I found this strange British horror film to be entertaining but deeply flawed. An excellent opening half hour reminiscent of Angel Heart and some of Clive Barker's Books of Blood stories , with a creeping sense of demonic presences lurking just a right turn off the high street down any darkened back alley. However the film then goes through a wierd succession of tonal changes (even going a bit Joe Orton at one point) and can't quite settle on what it want's to be. The end result is a movie less than the sum of its parts, but filled with some arresting imagery, a very good central performance from Jim Sturgess and a hilarious Eddie Marsden cameo worth the price of admission alone.

No Darkly Noon, but worth a look when Lionsgate UK open it on every platform available in March.

The first 30 minutes set me thinking though, why has no one tried to turn Ramsey Campbell's work into a feature film? There is a shit your pants scary urban horror movie to be made out of (particularly) Campbells short stories, which to my mind are amonst the finest examples of writing in the genre.

sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Paranormal Entity

Yep, during the time Paranormal Acutivity sat on the shelf... someone ripped it off!
This pretty much follows the same formula... with some demon-rape thrown in.

We know from the outset who dies in this, and the "found footage" was retrived a year later from the attic (who put it there? the demon? lol)

So, the acting isn't as convincing as PA... some dialogue scenes are too long (with a static camera) and the main guy wonders through the house at night in silence too often.

But there are some scares to be had, if you like "found footage" movies that is... :)
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

I just watched over the weekend, Paradise Lost 1 & 2... the documentary on the West Memphis Three. Three teens accused and convicted of killing 3 young children.

The only thing they appeared to be on trial for was listening to metal, dressing in black and having a mild interest in the occult.

The first film followed the trial and investigation which seemed to be so messed up in facts and opinion that there is no way the boys could have gone free. The defence made the police force look incompetent but still couldn't seem to get through to the jury. Blood evidence was ignored and not sent for DNA testing at one point. Blood evidence that could have linked the father of one of the victims to the killings.

In the second one, we follow the boys time in jail and how a group has formed after the airing of the first film to help free the boys. This group hire experts who discover that evidence was missed or suppressed. Bite marks were ignored on the victims and coincidentally the father that came into question first time around has lost ALL his teeth and his wife has died under suspicious circumstances.

They're both rather interesting looks into the events that took place in the 90's trial of the West Memphis Three...
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

Recently:

Demonia - Ok Fulci flick, quite creepy sometimes but I was doing too much at the same time to really get into it. The cat scene and the guy being split in half one were quite cool.

City of Rott - zombie cartoon. Funny but too long.

The Evolved - I really wanted to like this but it was shit, turned it off after about an hour. The high school acting wasn't funny-bad, just bad. Also the constant swearing was getting on my nerves.

Ghoulies 3 - Talking Ghoulies? Hmmmm... 't was ok I guess.

Ghoulies 4 - Funny-bad movie, though I didn't really get what those 'Ghoulies' - that looked nothing like the ones from the other 3 movies- were contributing to the story.

Fudoh- The new generation - Hot Damn! Brutal straight forward Takashi Miike Yakuza movie, quite over the top sometimes, like the poisoned drink in the car scene. Really enjoyed this one.

Sister Streetfighter 2 - Good stuff, love that funky disco soundtrack. This movie also brings a whole new meaning to smuggling something up your bum haha.

Sister Streetfighter 3 - Not bad but more of the same.

Sister Streetfighter 4 - This one was quite lame I thought, not enough fight scenes.

House - Liked it, good 80's horror.

House 2 - Wow this one was bizar haha. The old dude was a bit lame I thought but the worm/dog thing was awesome.

House 3 - Ok stuff, story was pretty similair to Shocker at points.

House 4 - This one was pretty bad, though the Dog with the lamp on his head and the 'Bug vs Snake' shootout were pretty funny.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!