films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: films we just saw

Post by Maniacal »

A local classical 3 screen cinema played for one night only Let The Right One In, so glad i got to see this on the big screen.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

Just seen The Wolfman. Great fun, it is true that there isn't much depth to it, but neither was there any depth in most Hammer/Universal films. Fantastic Gothic Atmospere, and period detail. Great Werewolf effects, A surprise of a plot twist, and Benecio Del Toro is very good as Larry Talbot. Loved it!
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

THE WOLFMAN AKA Anthony Hopkins and some other people who didn't matter...

I'll cut to the chase with this.

Anthony Hopkins OWNS this film! There i said it. He digs down real deep and brings out the character who as he said 'will change my life forever' and rolls with it for the entire film. Despite good but pointless performances by del toro and blunt (personally, you could have had anyone in the roles . Hopkins would have chewed them up and spit them out, just like he did with them. Which is a shame because both of them do well, but don't come close to hopkins?

Hugo weaving turning up as Abberline was fun, but again ultimately apart from a few good one liners (I don't suppose we have any silver bullets? ) is wasted aswell. A nice performance from david 'you made me miss, i've never missed that board before' schofield as constable Nye and the rest of the cast, but they all get overshadowed.

Oh, and awesome cameo by rick baker! can you see him?

Oh, and the howl... OH MY GOD! That was just god awful.

Danny elfman's score was very nice and i'm glad it was put back in, but overall it's just Anthony Hopkins chewing the fat and slaying every other actor in the film down without breaking a sweat.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Recently saw The Wolfman, it's terrible. I really can't much more than it being a let down.

sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Food Inc.
New doc showing the evils of food production in America. Chickens are bred to twice their normal size in windowless sheds, cows are fed cheap grain instead of natural grass, leading to spradic outbreaks of fatal e-coli in humans & corporations silence individuals with legal action...

Depressing but thought provoking. One ray of light comes on a farm where the livestock roam free on grass. But when the owner is interviewed, he's drowned out by the screams of chickens being hung-up having their throats slit behind him! :o

Bonus point for the Pink Floyd-inspired poster: http://www.foodincmovie.co.uk/
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Well did not have high expectations of The Wolfman. Liked the setting of the stately home and grounds. The Wolfman make up at times looked really good but then the CGI gremlins come along ruin the moment.

There was good cast but wasted. There was no real charactization to feel anything for any of the characters. Which would of been rather crucial for what happens later in the film. The only person who I thought was neither bland or chewing the scenery was Hugo Weaving.

Shame, the film started off with promise and then the second half was laughable mess
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Paranormal Ascendancy

For the pricely sum of only £4 in my local tesco, I picked this up. Being a sucker for a good scary ghost story it sounded very promising. However I am seriously considering sending this off to Trading Standards (hell maybe even Watchdog) for not being what it says it is. "Housemates" are not actually housemates, well unless you have to drive round to see your friend that is. Then there is "a ghost living in his room that becomes active at 3.00am" when in all honesty any supposedly spooky stuff happens at 3.33am. Maybe that ghost needs a new watch?

And I use the word spooky very loosely. TV and stereo equipment switching itself on and off, even when it is unplugged. A wet patch on the carpet. Lights flickering. I think I have been more scared watching an episode of Goosebumps than this rotten film.

And then it stops being a ghost story and sort of veers off into a romantic effort interespersed with some shitty demon that lets be honest, is just some bloke with a bedsheet over his head? Oh and this demon posseses people and makes them kill lots of innocent people. The last time it happenned (September 3rd, hence the link with the number 3), Michaels friend Jack got posessed and killed guess how many people? Do you even care, by this point I had stopped bothering.

I can accept bad films sometimes so long as maybe they make me laugh or that I can respect the effort that has gone into making them. But this is just terrible and I really just want my money back and that 90 minutes of my life.

It is not a ghost film, it has bob all to do with the paranormal and the film description mentions nothing about demons, a crap script or piss poor acting. It looks like it has been filmed on someones digital camera and at points in the film I had to check my headphones were still connected to my dvd player as parts of the dialogue actually go missing. then again maybe that is not such a bad thing. Maybe, just mayeb it's that ghost playing tricks on us.

Whatever you do, please avoid this, use the money for something sensible instead, buy some back episodes of Casper or Scooby Doo as chances are you will find them scarier, and more entertaining than this waste of a dvd.
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Before daybreakers the spierig brothers,made Undead a rather inventive low budget zombie horror flick,which loaded magazine says is a cross between shaun of the dead and bad taste,but what they forgot to mention is that its not even as close to being as good as them,and the humour is misfiring,characters are annoying and irritating.
it does have its chuckles but its tone doesnt just hit the mark,the brothers spierig are a long way off from peter jacksons wealth of humour,so far off that its painful to watch.
its all been done before and been done better,hell even return of the living dead 2 is a bench mark of zombie humour compared to this.
still its a good starting point and daybreakers was a way better second film from them.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

Yay Grindy, i totally agree with that Undead reeview. A couple of chuckles but it just didn't work for me. I didn't overly like Daybreakers either, I thought it was a fantastic idea that probably looked good at script stage that they just couldn't get on to the big screen properly. Still they're moving in the right direction, it was way better than Undead.
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

lupogirl wrote:Well did not have high expectations of The Wolfman. Liked the setting of the stately home and grounds. The Wolfman make up at times looked really good but then the CGI gremlins come along ruin the moment.

There was good cast but wasted. There was no real charactization to feel anything for any of the characters. Which would of been rather crucial for what happens later in the film. The only person who I thought was neither bland or chewing the scenery was Hugo Weaving.

Shame, the film started off with promise and then the second half was laughable mess
Completely agree here - Anthony H was pretty poor, as were the rest of the star-studded cast (thought Hugo Weaving did the best job though) - this kind of film needs some melodramatic acting, everyone else looked like they couldn't be bothered to be there... It wasn't great, but at the same time I didn't feel annoyed that I had waster a couple of hours of my life... (so that's a plus!) :-)
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

I thought Hopkins pissed over the other cast in Wolfman... he did really well with the cardboard character he was given... the other characters in the piece had no depth either.

Which was a mistake considering you're supposed to feel for these people and Gwen/Wolfy are supposed to fall for each other
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

Just watched The Wolfman, which was okay I found it to be a bit dull, I felt Hopkins phoned in his performance especially when compared to some of his previous roles. I thought the effects were a bit ropey at places too. The aspect ratio kept changing as well throughout the first 15 minutes of the film, I can only this was a specific error at my cinema because otherwise that is unforgivable.

I recntly watched The Devils Rejects too, which was interesting to say the least. Great use of freebird at the end.
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Aye, The Devil's Rejects is a truly awesome film - only saw it for the first time a few months ago, and absolutely loved it! :-)
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Being bored yesterday night i was browsing through the movie channels on virgin media and came across a movie called Green Street 2, was the best comedy film I've ever seen, no seriously.

feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

Not been in here since the start of the Glasgow Film Festival sooooooooo

Ponyo - Loved it, great supporting voice cast. one of the most accesible Ghibli films.

Journey of the Childmen - Documentary about Mighty Boosh, well done but it doesn't tell you anything new at all. Most enjoyment was had laughing at over the top fans.

Curtain - Julian Barrett short story about a punch and judy performer who starts to encounter lots of dead people. Really enjoyed this, think it went over the top of most of the crowd who wanted to see the Boosh being the Boosh. Felt similar in tone to Psychoville.

Astro Boy - Hopefully the start of a good year for Nic Cage(Kick Ass, Bad Lieutenant and obviously July 14th is Con Air day). A lot of fun and a few good jokes that weren't just for kids. Again really good voice cast.

Evangelion 1.0 You are (not) alone - Very, very good anime. Cleaned up the start of the original series, took out some of the pauses and it was great.

Evangelion 2.0 You can (not) adance - Fuck, where do you start. This was fantastic from start to finish. Starts as Asuka comes in. More fun, colour and sarcasm than 1.0 and about twice as brutal. As the film finished there was a full minute of aplause from the audience followed by some very excited chatter. It will take a very impressive film to beat this for me this year, loved it.