films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

bohan wrote:Thought Pandorum was fantastic, very intense and highly atmospheric
Planning to see this tonight. The trail did look good quite Alienesque.

Saw two very different films the past few days. First Vinyan. Beautifully shot film with some great performances from Rufus Sewell and, would still look good in a sack cloth, Emmanuelle Beart.

Thought the story did go off in a tanget making a strange
ending.

For a more of upbeat film went to see Invention of Lying. Suprisingly amusing and at times sad.. Ricky Gervais not like the cringe making character of The Office. The enjoyment of the film was marred slightly by a running commentary given by some girls behind. That aside, found the film entertaining.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

There's a killer frogman on the loose in Amsterdamned (1988) - now uncut on UK DVD with retro documentary... good fun with a superb speedboat chase :)
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Pandorum - very probably the worst film of 2009. This is the reason why Alvart's other film Case 39 got the nod at FrightFest I would imagine!

Zombieland - one of the very best films of 2009. Loved every minute of it - and it's an impressive debut for a first time director.
First things first, stay calm.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

soulmining wrote:Pandorum - very probably the worst film of 2009.

I saw it Pandorum last really enjoyed it. Had atmosphere, tension, and a slightly confusing story but still entertaining. Transformers 2 is the worst of 2009. Walked out after a hour! :D
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

lupogirl wrote:
soulmining wrote:Pandorum - very probably the worst film of 2009.

I saw it Pandorum last really enjoyed it. Had atmosphere, tension, and a slightly confusing story but still entertaining. Transformers 2 is the worst of 2009. Walked out after a hour! :D
Tranformers had Megan Fox, it's not all that bad :lol:

But you left before the huge fight scene which lacked excitement and just dragged on and on and on.
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

Satans Puppy wrote:
Tranformers had Megan Fox, it's not all that bad :lol:

But you left before the huge fight scene which lacked excitement and just dragged on and on and on.
...and on and on.
"The suspect is armed with a machete in one hand, and his genitals in the other."
satanslittlehelper
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by satanslittlehelper »

...and on and on. I watched it on a plane and fell asleep half way through...they were still fighting when I landed.

I enjoyed Pandorum, it's this years marmite movie.
"If you were the only suspect in a senseless bloodbath - would you be standing in the horror section?"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I've discovered the secret of not being bothered by the cretins' mobiles with their 5000W searchlights: sit to the front of everyone else in the cinema. Thus I was able to enjoy not one but two films without being blinded by a halfwit's email.

Curiously, both films posited a future in which we sit at home and for a fee to a global corporation, enjoy a vicarious lifestyle full of sex with beautiful people or crunchy violence and brutality. Or both. Surrogates was easily the better of the two films, as it has a better director and a much better cast. Much of the movie doesn't make sense but I was impressed by how they managed to get a Bruce Willis to look about twenty four years old: strangely, Willis has to be artificially "youthed" while Rosamund Pike has be artificially "olded". It's good, dumb, nonsensical fun.

Gamer, on the other hand, is from the makers of the Crank films and so is gritty, noisy, needlessly violent and overdone, and rather reminiscent of Death Race (which closed the FF last year and somehow lifted my spirits with the constant thumping and giant metal things exploding). Again, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense but a lot of people get killed and for some, that's enough.

The other way to avoid the mobiles menace is to have the whole cinema to yourself. That's what happened on Monday when I went to my local for Pandorum: an okay, bog-standard bit of SF nonsense derived from Alien and Event Horizon (Paul WS Anderson is one of the producers). I have to confess a peculiar fondness for this sub-genre (I wish there was a decent DVD of Titan Find, for example) and so didn't find the movie too terrible, but it's far too dark and overcut and I lost track once or twice. But it's easy to see why the reviews were so negative.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

Zombieland - Very enjoyable and so much fun. The middle bit with BM was so random and funny.
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

Been back afew hours from seeing rob zombie's halloween 2. Wow.

Now i'm not going to say it's shit, because that would be too easy and juvenile.

I'm going to say...

What a waste. Not of my time,(technically it was but thats neither here nor there.)

But a waste of film.

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. had a set of rules in one of his collections of short stories. One that always struck me and i try to use it in all tv, films, and books is to find atleast one character that the reader/viewer can route for.

And i found one. Actually two. the bracketts. And both of them were much better characters in this film than the first. It's a shame that they were the only two. For me, Annie brackett was the best thing in this film. Laurie strode and loomis were just diabolical.
And the white horse shit? what is has zombie been watching too much white stripes or twin peaks?!

It explained it at the beginning, but it didn't matter. Zombie had the chance to really do something with this one, but he actually made it worse than everything else he ever did. Atleast he kept the cameo's down in this one.

How the weinstein's let this one out into the cosmos is beyond me?
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Just got back from seeing Halloween 2, it was utter garbage and mostly laughable through out.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Rue-morgue Jay wrote:Been back afew hours from seeing rob zombie's halloween 2. Wow.

Now i'm not going to say it's shit, because that would be too easy and juvenile.
Really? Okay, I'll say it then - it was shit.

There was just no story to this, it was just a mess of boring flashbacks and crappy dream sequences, and despite the fact she died in the first one, Sheri Moon was still in every other scene in this....in fact, this was more like a modelling portfolio for Sheri Moon than a film - every 2 minutes she's appearing in a ludicrous costume pouting and prancing around, between the shots of her we get what's supposed to be the "film", which is just endless unbelievably tedious scenes of Michael knifing anyone he comes in to contact with.

And once again Rob Zombie proves he can't make a film without making every character a thick red neck white trash yokel....gawd, you can almost feel your IQ dropping by the second while you're watching this shite.

Looks like The Devil's Rejects was a flash in the pan for Rob, he should go back to making orginal films rather than remakes, or back to making music.....or just do something that doesn't result in films like this!!!

And worryingly the ending suggesting there's going to be a sequel that looks even more crass and brainless than the first 2 installments.

On a different note, I also saw Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs this week, now that was good - almost Pixar good, everyone should see it.
bohan
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by bohan »

just saw zombieland and can safely say that i enjoyed it, the middle part of the movie did trail a bit with complete lack of zombies but the finale made up for it. Oh and "for whom the bell tolls" by metallica featuring in the opening credits was fantastic :)
satanslittlehelper
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by satanslittlehelper »

Just back from Zombieland, and I enjoyed the ride very much. Despite my local cineworld losing the sound towards the end of the film, and then switching the lights on before the credits were even rolling. complaint in the e-post.
"If you were the only suspect in a senseless bloodbath - would you be standing in the horror section?"
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

zombieland - good film, amazing cameo. slo-mo start was a bit annoying but it got much better then tailed off to set up for a barnstormer of a finish.

Toy Story - still holds up today, didn't really need to have the 3d treatment but it didn't take away from the film.

Up - I cried like a baby on three seperate occasions. Loved this film so much.