films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
jimbo
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by jimbo »

I thought X3 was absolute dogshit. Lots of good bits, taken on their own, but together it was a bag of arse. Pointless even having the Phoenix story in there at all, considering the over-stuffed nature of the whole thing. Needed a serious trimming down before filming started, it just made no sense at all. I've never read the comics, but I loved the first two movies, X2 is just incredible, but this just pissed it all away. Shame.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Excellent, someone else agrees with me.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Managed to see X3 yesterday, and didn't think it was too bad actually..

Ok, so it's not a patch on X2, but it was fairly enjoyable. Yes, it could have done with another re-write (there were too many plot strands that weren't really tied up) and Vinnie was embarrasing as Juggernaught (that "I've got to go pee" line was awful)...

But hey, saggy middle aside, it was still good fun, and that last scene after the credits was pretty cool. Glad I read about that on this forum, as everyone in the cinema apart from us left before seeing it...

Let's hope there's no X4...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

A few DVDs I've looked at recently...

Christmas 2004, I think it was, my sister bought me the box-set of the first 6 Nightmare On Elm Street films and I've now, after 17 months, got up to episodes 2 and 3. I hadn't seen either of them in years and I was pleasantly surprised by both. Part 2 isn't very good, it has to be said, and I was constantly put off by the lead actress's uncanny resemblance to Meryl Streep (plus the exploding budgie sequence is nonsensical). Part 3 was much more fun, where the idea of majorly surreal dream sequences really got going. I first saw this at one of the Shock Around The Clock fests, when its UK release was in question after some idiot reporter ran a story claiming it was encouraging suicides. I'm now looking forward to parts 4 and 5 (the latter I think is underrated), but I'm confident I can leave Part 6 untouched.

Autopsy: A Love Story: cheapie shot-on-tape thing about a mortuary worker who falls in love with a suicide. Joe Estevez has fun as the shouty morgue owner, and the lead actress holds her breath very well as the stiff. But it's pretty dull stuff. Oddly, the DVD has an 18 but the BBFC site claims it was only rated 15.

The Jackhammer Massacre takes place almost exclusively in a badly lit warehouse, where a drug-fuelled paranoiac loser is compelled by the ghost of his dead friend to kill all-comers with a pneumatic drill. There are a few startling gore shots but also a lot of depressing drug footage - and I'm not sure how scary a homicidal maniac actually is when he needs to be connected to the mains supply. Still, £3 from a market stall.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Wolverine (spinoff) is already in the works with Hugh Jackman already on board, negotiations still going on with his sideburns to ensure they don't envelop the entire screen :wink:

But seriously, with a record-breaking US three-day take of over $120m, can anyone really expect to not be seeing X4 in a couple of years? Hopefully will manage to avoid the Halle Berry OverDiva-ing of this trilogy, but half of that will depend on whether she keeps making crap like Catwoman to further damage her standing :wink: :P

In other news, just seen a review for the latest Pang Brothers film, Re-Cycle, over at Arrow In The Head - so haveta see this film...
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I saw X-Men: The Last Stand yesterday and was fearing the worst after reading some of the scathing reviews online... but I thought it was pretty enjoyable overrall.

I'm not a huge fan of this franchise (never read the comics, always disliked Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry in these roles) so can't comment on how true it was to the characters, but I thought the main plot was really strong, with the characters facing up to the potential cure for their conditions. I do agree however that there were far too many plot threads, and far too many characters crammed in (as in the previous two films) - maybe a longer cut would give the characters more time to breathe, it did fly by at a breakneck pace! Decent SFX and I'm pleased they had the balls to off a few main characters. Cheers for the tip on the end credits too!

I also saw a preview United 93 last night. If you're ready to watch a film about 9/11 then you'll be rewarded with a superb piece of film-making - the documentary feel and lack of star names works well, and it is really nerve-shredding stuff, even though we all know the outcome.
First things first, stay calm.
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

Saw X men last night and have to say that I thought it was so bland. Just average. The actual last stand was over so quick. BUT I did like the fact that main characters were killed off which you don't often see in films usually. However, I thought that there were too many characters, and just couldn't take Vinnie Jones seriously. Also his character reminded me of Ram-man from the old He Man cartoons.

I must say that the movies that I had been anticipating ie Da Vinci Code, Slither, and X Men 3 really disappointed me. I have to say out of the big budget movies that came out recently, Mission Impossible 3 was really good. Much more enjoyable than I thought it would be.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Mission Impossible 3 - now that's how you do the third part of a series. It was just so much fun, really loved it.
KURT.
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by KURT. »

saw silent hill, which was quirky but cool. saw a film called BRICK in one of those werid cinemas that show less mainstream films. No wonder it wasnt mainstream, it was shite. just too slow and boring.

lots of horror films coming out recently, but they are all the same. what we need is a Dario Argento film.... im looking forward to the third part of the three mothers coming out.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Watched Poseidon last night, it's not totally terrible, it's actually quite gripping in places, but they seem to have forgotten to put in any character devolpment at all. Everyone is very 2 dimensional plus the films running time is too brief clocking in at just over 90 minutes. It never feels or looks very epic, it feels rushed and scrappy.

What's unexpected is how gorey it is, people are getting killed, burnt, drowned and blownup all over the place.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

DELETED
Last edited by rawshark on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Has anyone seen the new Wicker Man Remake Trailer?

It doesn't really impress me, looks ok, but also looks fairly bland. I'm most intrigued by what's going to happen at the end, are they going to wimp out?
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Nope, can't download Quicktime version 7, grrrrrr!!!

I see the trailer for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning has also surfaced online... didn't even know this was in production!
First things first, stay calm.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

The Wicker Man remake has an odd Silent Hill-esque vibe about it - does that mean the actual Wicker Man will be indoors? :wink: :lol:

TCM: The Beginning does at least feature the inimitable R Lee Ermey, but beyond that can't tell the ratio of "making it decent" versus "simple cash-in"... gimmick in that can only view the trailer from 10pm till 4am (unless you change your computer clock anyway)

And anyone else heard about Rob Zombie helming the new film in the Halloween franchise?
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I know this going off track.

Just a note to say I saw Poseidon at the IMAX. Thought it looked stunning. It flew by. Thought Richard Dreyfuss was wasted in the film.

Worth seeing on at the IMAX. For ship toppling over and people getting thrown around. Great Fun!!! :lol:

Thought the rating 12 should of been 15. With lots of shots corpses in various degrees of injuries. Don't mind Josh Lucas saving me from drowning!!! :wink:

Just tried to download Wicker Man but no joy!!!