films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

Not sure if I should be applauding a film whose premise is so stupid that the film ends up being better than it should be... but I did rather enjoy Hills 2, so I will... roll on Hills Have Eyes 3!!! (The song at the end was fabulous!!)
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Sunshine... if you were designing a spaceship to fly into the Sun, would you put a window in the front? And far too much of the plot was copied from Event Horizon...
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just seen 300 for the second time but this time at the IMAX. Still looks amazing. Though there were instances there was slight shuddering within the film. All those lovely men!!!!! :D
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Danny Boyle could take Paul W Anderson on any day!

Post by ghouldrool »

Sunshine

This was a fantastic. Film of the year so far by a mile. So what if small segments of it felt like Event Horizon? EH wasnt exactly a blistering work of originality either plus this dispensed with the loony plot canyons of that movie. and any faults in logic are papered over by a great script and pace

a spot the genre movie cast, a genuienly chilling final third, great effects, convincing tension rising from events within the story, it might even earn a second cinema viewing.

as for 300.. what a comedy masterpiece... the Commando of our times
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

300 - A Comedy masterpiece ??? More like a droolathon for me :D

Just saw something more sombre: Provoked.

Thought it was at times emotionally charged but again at times ruined by twee music. The subject matter of wife battery is something you don't see alot at the cinema. Thought the lead - Aishwarya Raj was at times convincing playing a battered wife. Robbie Coltraine was excellent. Surprising to see Steve McFadden. Naveem Andrews was rather good - What a nasty piece of work his character is. Be interesting to see a film about a even more taboo subject of boyfriend/husband battery.

3 Stars
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Not a horror movie but Never Say Never Again. This is an unofficial version which has had almost all of the horrid Michel Legrand score removed and replaced with cues from every other "real" Bond movie. In fact only one Legrand piece remains - the tango - plus a brief snippet of source music near the start of the Bahamas sequence. Most of it works at least as well as it did before and sometimes it does feel like a proper Bond, but against that some of the edits (both music and picture) are a bit jarring - sometimes the music is hacked all over the place to accommodate the movie, and sometimes bits are cut from the film to fit the selected bit of music. It's also a little disconcerting to hear the actual theme tunes to Goldfinger, Moonraker and The Man With The Golden Gun as underscore in a movie made long after them, and despite the new credits listing Michael Kamen as one of the composers, I didn't spot one note of his sole 007 score License To Kill. The title sequence is actually from Thunderball, complete with Maurice Binder's pervy nude silhouettes, reframed and backed with a Shirley Bassey/Propellorheads number.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

sunshine

erm...disappointed but spectacular visuals and amazing sequences
the story didn't loose me but i felt disconnected and a shade un-involved about 2/3 of the way in

blades of glory

good stoopid fun from start 2 finish lots of laugh out loud stuff

smokin aces

not as brilliant as it thinks it is - too much going on and too many characters, carnahan is a cool director though, but perhaps he should work from somebody else's script

doctor who x 2

1st episode - all good, not great liked the new companion

2nd episode - WOW great saturday night telly, you just couldn't ask for anything more - superb witty script, nice visuals and fx, 3 WITCHES, a perfect episode

the apprentice - just ridiculously addictive and anyone not watching is missing out on some good shout at your telly i can't believe the stupidity of some of these people moments - oh and london looks bloody brilliant in every frame

submissions...

been feeling a bit poorly hence the amount of stuff ..

louis theroux

most hated family in america - jaw droppingly horrifying tv - did anyone see this ?? basically a group called the westboro baptist church of kansas spread hate, severe homophobia and picket the funerals of american soldiers holding placards such as fag troops and far far worse

oh well happy easter all

and i hope i feel better soon!

:D
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

Totally agree with you about Sunshine.

The visuals were amazing but it was a bit disappointing and uninvolving.

Nowhere near as amazing as the reviews have made it out to be.

And yes, that Most hated family in America was just something else.

Happy Easter everyone.

Roll on Aug Bank holiday weekend!
gegsuranus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by gegsuranus »

Sunshine

Great pace and sfx. I think the ending will be one of those love it/hate it affairs. I happened to like it.
F**k me gently with a chainsaw!
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I saw Sunshine for a second time this week and like it even more... my favourite film of the year, so far. But yes, does seem to be a love it/hate it kind of conclusion.

Also saw Blades Of Glory... loved Will Ferrell in Anchorman but Talladega Nights was very disappointing, so feared the worst (especially as I'm not a fan of Jon Heder either) but I found myself laughing out loud too... totally predictable sports comedy, but does the job.

Saw French comedy My Best Friend yesterday which was okay...

Yes, I also saw the Louis Theroux doc the other week, was jaw dropping stuff...
First things first, stay calm.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Isolation

Having finally been able to rent this i must say it was rather a disappointment considering the rave reviews it got back in September on this forum.

Yes it looked fantastic and was performed brilliantly, and yep the first two thirds were really interesting. But then it becomes a bog standard being chased by -confusing- monster. the concept of a killer foetus/after birth was kind of original but it could have done without the unconvincing plot element of it needing a host.

Echoes of Mad Cow Disease and Foot and Mouth in the set up and a really good setting (very few horror films actually seem set on an actual farm for the duration-and farms are scary/dangerous)

From one renegade baby to another. Finished off Larry Cohens Its Alive trilogy this weekend and what a great series this was. Even the "silly" third one.

Each film takes its time to tell its story, really looking at the effects the events have on people and their relationships, yet the pacing is never off. the first is especially affecting and depressing.
I was expecting full on cheese but instead got sympathetic characters and a convincingly cynical story. Got to love the pharmaceutical execs getting their comeuppance in the final movie!

Michael Moriarty is brilliant in the third one as a character who while totaly involved with events never loses his sense of humour (though it clearly being a defense mechanism of the character). He is particularly great in his early court room scenes and his near breakdown when realising he is alone on a boat full of these creatures where just hours ago he had been joking around with his now dead companions.

Depsite this the acting honours must go to the late John P Ryan from the first two movies.

The remake of Its Alive better not take the PG 13 route or the "extreme" approach, these films feel much more like Drama movies within a horror setting.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Currently I'm in the USA, so I've watched Grindhouse twice over the weekend, and it's so much fun. One of the films is much better than the other, but even the weeker was is a great watch.

My favourite part has to be the fake trailers though, so funny and they just look perfect.

If no Frightfest screening comes through then everyone should go to the same showing of it, as it plays so much better with a crowd that are into it, everyone over here's been cheering and screaming all the way through.

They've also been showing the Halloween remake trailer in the cinemas, which looks a lot better than I thought it would.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

.Just watched the new Halloween trailer and to be honest with you my heart just sank.
It seems to me almost complete unnecessary to tinker with a film like 'Halloween' which still stands damn well by any horror fan's standards. It's a subtle and curious film, which builds the terror slowly the way Mozart builds his 'Requiem'.
Still even if we accept that there is a reason for re-making it, the trailer still doesn't give me any hope. The brief glimpse of Micheal carving animals, the very-leatherface nature of the new mask and the disappointing look of the even the pre-Credits sequence just makes me wish that Rob Zombie would stick to his own stuff. I was never against 'House of 1000 Corpses' or its' sequel 'The Devil's Rejects'. I just feel slightly irked at how far he tries to reac h with this third choice.
Oh well, I am sure there will be MILLIONS of people who will enjoy it from a different point of view.
Sincerely yours
Voor

P.s. Oh and Loomis with that very sucky line ...What happened to the beauty of Donald Pleasence and his whole speeches?
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

I dont have a problem with Zombie remaking HALLOWEEN - though i am one of the precious few who liked some of the sequels! I think the trailer looks fabulous...one of my most looked-forward-to movies of the year. Too bad that they're releasing it in August when its bound to get swamped and under-loved thanks to the glut of blockbusters. They could have at least tried to release it sometime in October, though presumably SAW 4 has dibs on All Hallows Eve weekend itself. Have to challenge the description of HALLOWEEN 1978 as "subtle" - i LOVE this movie but subtle its not - its all about "Boo!" scares, jolts and screams, not there's anything wrong with any of those things!
Good also to see some love on this board being given to the IT'S ALIVE trilogy, prime examples of Larry Cohen's intelligent, thoughtful approach to the B-horror genre - turning a goofy killer baby plot into social satire and richly characterised drama. Top bloke.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

See No Evil

Well deserving of its Saturday evening slot at FF06 as this is indeed good old competant rubbish. you could hold several conversations (with one in a language you dont even know) while this film was playing and STILL not lose track.

trying to mix in Saw style production design and "it was a set up all along" style twists all too common in horror these days actually worked... a little.

Not sure about the worms living in the wound on his head- or that the bad guy basically scratches peoples eyes out...a horrible looking implement would have sealed the deal here! loved the OTT Nordberg-from-Naked-Gun style death of our villain.