Growing wonderfully wickeder

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

After reading Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars recently (and loving it), I was wondering:

Which horror writer / director has developed most during their careers and how?
Forum moderator, university Film Studies lecturer and movie journalist for mags including Little White Lies, Scream, Fangoria and the FrightFest eMagazine. I'm the one shaking and screaming at every screening.
mlceates
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Growing wonderfully wickeder

Post by mlceates »

Writer: Stephen kings earlier material and his short stories, probably followed by Clive Barker. (Somebody has to make a decent book of blood adaptation.)

Director: I am still a big John carpenter fan, grew up loving Halloween, the Fog, prince of Darkness and the Thing (still hate E.T. did a lot of damage to cinema that year!!)
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

What do you think to King's / Barker's later stuff?
Forum moderator, university Film Studies lecturer and movie journalist for mags including Little White Lies, Scream, Fangoria and the FrightFest eMagazine. I'm the one shaking and screaming at every screening.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

King is not as good as he was. Barker is even better though it's been a while. The Art, Imajica, Weaveworld all brilliant.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

I lost it with Barker around the time of the Harold Robbinsy Galilee and Coldheart Canyon I didn't enjoy at all. I agree with Daveroughcut that The Art, Imajica and Weaveworld are brilliant, but they are all a long time ago now.

While King might not have produced a masterpiece in a while, his books are still consistently enjoyable.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

I dug Under The Dome despite the fact I thought it we The Simpsons movie. I must confess I have not read Galilee but did love the Abarat books.
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

MaxRenn wrote:I lost it with Barker around the time of the Harold Robbinsy Galilee and Coldheart Canyon I didn't enjoy at all. I agree with Daveroughcut that The Art, Imajica and Weaveworld are brilliant, but they are all a long time ago now.

While King might not have produced a masterpiece in a while, his books are still consistently enjoyable.
What do you consider to be the last King masterpiece?
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

In publication order probably The Dark Half maybe Four Past Midnight. it definitely went wrong at Needful Things which felt like a repeat of 'Salems Lot
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

Okay, because I am a total King-ophile, what would you like to see him do now?