Scary horror

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Scary horror

Post by Kris »

Not often I start a new post on here but as a fan of horror films interspersed with many jump moments i'm looking for some reccomendations.

Examples of what I enjoy are Drag Me To Hell. Rec & Rec 2, The Messengers and most of the slasher genre

Any suggestions of what else is worth a view, so long as its on LoveFilm or I can get a copy at a reasonable price i'll be happy.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Scary horror

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Go to the cinny and see Insidious...
going postal
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by going postal »

totally agree with you sherbetbizarre, it's been a long time since ive had to look through my fingers
at a film.
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

going postal wrote:totally agree with you sherbetbizarre, it's been a long time since ive had to look through my fingers
at a film.
.. or indeed at that really interesting spot at the bottom right/left of the screen. Had my eyes firmly fixed there for the BFI showing of Let's Scare Jessica to Death the other night and I still managed to be the screamer...
Forum moderator, university Film Studies lecturer and movie journalist for mags including Little White Lies, Scream, Fangoria and the FrightFest eMagazine. I'm the one shaking and screaming at every screening.
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

Session 9 i found to be genuinely scary
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Insidious is great... my poor friend was physically shaking after the experience and one girl in our screening started crying, saying she didn't like it and she wanted to go home :)

First time I saw it, I was touching cloth... loved it but then again despite my frightfest love, I'm a big girl when it comes to horror :)

Kris likes my taste in films :D
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chary »

have you tried the other Pang Bros' movies, the eye (the hong kong one), and in love with the dead. Ones that made me jump, paranormal activity 2 and the others. Films that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, tale of two sisters, ring (japanese one) and dark water also the original version, wishing stairs and one they showed at frightfest some time ago, collingwood story
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Thanks everyone - most of these I have seen already, used to love Jap horror but I think its lost itself now

Insidious was great but not as scary as I expected it to be, what scares did exist were well executed but I want more!!

Anything supernatural is good, ghost/poltergeist films, slashers with unexpected scares etc all that sort of thing float my boat big style
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

I love eastern horror... it's always rooted in beliefs and superstitions unlike our horror which is usually an Urban Myth featuring a man with a blade... CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP!!! :)
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

I'd go for Lake Mungo. There is one terrific jump scare in it that you know is coming, but it's the way it does it that gets you.

Does anyone know the name of a poltergeist (I think) film set in a girl's bedroom? It came out in the last year and got a fab write up but I lost the clipping and really want to see it.
Forum moderator, university Film Studies lecturer and movie journalist for mags including Little White Lies, Scream, Fangoria and the FrightFest eMagazine. I'm the one shaking and screaming at every screening.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Scary horror

Post by daveroughcut »

Tormented?

I loved Lake Mungo. Down right evil and creepy. End titles gave me the spookums.
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

daveroughcut wrote:Tormented?

I loved Lake Mungo. Down right evil and creepy. End titles gave me the spookums.
Nah, it's not Tornented (I was at the apparently infamous screening). It apparently focuses on a girl and I'm dying to find out what it is. Thanks for the suggestion, though :-)

Lake Mungo was an odd one. When I first saw it I wasn't that impressed, but it's what you see in the 'boo!' moment that stayed with me for weeks and weeks. Must admit, I am a sucker for anything 'ghosty'.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Scary horror

Post by daveroughcut »

DoctorKaren wrote:
daveroughcut wrote:Tormented?

Nah, it's not Tornented (I was at the apparently infamous screening). It apparently focuses on a girl and I'm dying to find out what it is. Thanks for the suggestion, though :-)

Lake Mungo was an odd one. When I first saw it I wasn't that impressed, but it's what you see in the 'boo!' moment that stayed with me for weeks and weeks. Must admit, I am a sucker for anything 'ghosty'.
What was infamous about the screening?
simmie
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by simmie »

I've yet to see 'lets scare jessica to death', but i am def gonna get hold and have a watch!!

Insidious - I thoroughly enjoyed this at the cinema, and suzy and I were literally trying to bury ourselves under one another!
Its been a long time since a film has had me literally peering at the screen through a tiny gap out of my hoodie!!
Not too sure if I will buy it when it comes out though...
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

DoctorKaren wrote:I'd go for Lake Mungo.
Not seen that one, I will get hold of it now.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup