what dvds are we buying?

Get to know the forumites, come and say Hello. Chat music, books, tv or games.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

DVDS have been like buses today when you want one never there,and then they all turn up at once :)

so my Box of the Banned 2 turns up along with my 1st parcel of goodies from my freind in the states,Red Dawn collectors edition,Commando directors cut,planet terror,and on HD THE ROAD WARRIOR.
im still waiting for Death Proof, Troy directors cut HD,Transformers HD Heroes series on HD,The Burning SE,Zodiac HD all in the coming weeks.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Transformers arrived today on HD along with Death Proof

i have it on good authority that because of the film studios backing HD for an exclusive period of time and the drop in HD players prices Toshiba i think are doing one for 300 and under,high st BlockBuster stores will soon be renting HD dvds out thus this gives us finally the choice HD owners deserve,if you rent online HDs have always been there to rent,this is good as finally the prices of HDs will plummet.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

There's a decent sale on at Play at the moment - I picked up Perfume:The Story Of A Murderer and The Science Of Sleep for a fiver each.

Have also had review copies of Return To House On Haunted Hill and Stupid Teenagers Must Die! through my letterbox this week... although expectations are pretty low for those two!
First things first, stay calm.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

:x :x :x

Mildly fuming.... The AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON DVDs that are on sale in Tescos are FULL-FRAME! A pan-and-scan botch-job that would have shamed ITV 20 years back - the opening titles are cropped either side! Yes, it says 16:9 on the back but it b**********y isn't.

At least it was only £3.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

streetrw wrote::x :x :x

Mildly fuming.... The AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON DVDs that are on sale in Tescos are FULL-FRAME! A pan-and-scan botch-job that would have shamed ITV 20 years back - the opening titles are cropped either side! Yes, it says 16:9 on the back but it b**********y isn't.

At least it was only £3.
Is this a single disc edition?
tescos are notorious for packing the shelves with inferior single disc editions of dvds, i had a copy of far & away the film quality was just shite, no thats not down to Ron Howard,just the poor runs of dvds off the presses.
mines a 2 disc edition!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Grindhouse wrote:Is this a single disc edition?
tescos are notorious for packing the shelves with inferior single disc editions of dvds, i had a copy of far & away the film quality was just shite, no thats not down to Ron Howard,just the poor runs of dvds off the presses.
mines a 2 disc edition!
Nope - 2-disc anniversary edition. As far as I could tell the only thing missing was the cardboard slipcase. But the title shows up on screen as RICAN WEREWO or the like. Maybe there was a mis-mastered batch or something. Either way, it's the last time I buy a DVD from there. First M&S sell me lumpy milk, and now this..... :(
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

have you double checked your zoom setting on your dvd player when playing that particular dvd?
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
hacknslash
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by hacknslash »

picked up flight of the living dead, but haven't had a chance to watch yet.
Gebstar
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Gebstar »

Picked up Scanners and Texas CWM!

Love the second hate the first!
To avoid fainting, keep repeating "It's only a movie...It's only a movie..."
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Rather than ones I've bought, I though I'd put down my 'want list':

Who Can Kill a Child?
Darkness
Roman
Survival Quest
Cast a Deadly Spell
Witch Hunt (CaDS sequal)
Island of the Fishmen
Day & Night
Four Weeks in June
Make Believe
The Invisible (the original Swedish version)
Kummelin Jackpot
From Beyond
The Tripper
Flight of the Living Dead (or Plane Dead as it was called when I saw it)
Rabid Dogs aka Kidnapped
Feast
The Rage
The Psychic aka Seven Notes in Black
Driftwood
Darkness Surrounds Roberta (note giallo fans - this is a new indie attempt at producing a modern giallo - they've gone for the an old trad international cast with Eileen Daly and a couple of US and German actors).
Bay of Blood
The Case of the Scorpian's Tale
What Have You Done To Your Daughters?

And just purchased over the net:

Heima
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Bah. :(

When I got home from work yesterday, I found a card from the Post Office saying they've a package for me that was too large for the letter box. Okay, I thought: Do I spend 40 minutes driving very slowly in evening "rush" hour traffic to the Post Office with some ID and pick it up, thereby messing up the ozone layer by pumping out exhaust fumes and also getting annoyed with the dunces in front of me, and then not be able to park and so on and so on? Or do I spend five minutes walking down to the Post Office, thereby getting a smidgen of much needed exercise and saving the planet from global warming? "Okay, so it's raining, but it's nothing more than a light drizzle. I can bear it for five minutes." Fool.

Upshot: this afternoon I think I've developed some kind of flu bug thingy; I ache all over as if I've been run down by a truck full of anvils. Depending on how I feel I may have to call in sick tomorrow and I don't want to do that. Next time I'll sit in the car for best part of an hour and the future of the planet can go hang.

Still, at least I now have the 4-disc set of the finest film ever made: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead, and after a quck internet search to find some region hack codes for my DVD player, I've had a brief glimpse at the discs and they're lovely. Just whizzed through that TV station chaos at the start - one of the best opening sequences ever - and then compared it with the Argento cut: if I don't go in tomorrow I know what I'm going to be doing instead.... :(
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I know what I'd do... :P

(And in fact did, when the first Alien Quadrilogy set came out on R1)

We won't tell anyone!!
First things first, stay calm.
hacknslash
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by hacknslash »

missed black sheep at FF and again when it got released on the cinema :evil: so ordered an R1 copy and Renaissance and the new bourne film on pre order.
also thinking of ordering R1 copies of... hatchet, wrong turn 2 and planet terror.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Heve pre-ordered copies of

The Evil Dead - Ultimate Edition
Halloween - Rob Zombie Edition
Hatchet - May cancel this if I don't like the specs.

And I know it ain't DVD...but Assassin's Creed on 360!
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

I have just pre-order Welcome to the Jungle (the Cannibal Holocaust remake) which is out on region 1 on 13 November. About $14 from amazon.