what dvds are we buying?

Get to know the forumites, come and say Hello. Chat music, books, tv or games.
chief brody
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chief brody »

Fab 08, if all is well.
The lost this was big film on sunday night ff06, very very good.
Following in the tradition of such primal cinema classics as taxi driver and badlands. Independent filmmaking of the highest and finest order.
Will be great to see again, and in mono sound just like in the odeon that night 27th of august 2006.
"YOU"RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT."
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

I picked up Oceans 13 on HD,the other day along with the mission impossible trilogy also on HD.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Pan's Labyrinth (UK 2-disc version) duly arrived the other day. Still unopened. Lots of Christmas shopping still to do.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Transmorphers from the Asylum studio, a whopping £2.97 cant wait for i am omega with mark dacascos,still i thought the artwork was good on the cover :D
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

While skulking around Woolworths this morning: spotted the original BLACK CHRISTMAS for £5. (WHSmiths have it for £6.)
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

streetrw wrote:While skulking around Woolworths this morning: spotted the original BLACK CHRISTMAS for £5. (WHSmiths have it for £6.)
yeah thats the tartan grindhouse re-release of it good price too :D
chief brody
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chief brody »

Hearts of darkness
the kingdom
jc/ starman.
"YOU"RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT."
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i had a nosey around the sales and picked up king kong the 3 disc extended edition £4 in HMVs sale.
Blade Runner on HD well i had too :)
The Bourne Ultimatum.
Gamestation are having a bit of a sale and reduced lots of their HD'S picked up the reaping & the fast and the furious
:D
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

I was busy in the sales and went to HMV and got a few cheap horror DVDs (none more than £5):

Cat In The Brain
Trauma
Demonium
The Grudge 2
The Last Man On Earth (Vincent Price version of I Am Legend, looks cool)

Mr S also got me quite a few DVDs that look good - Gone, Death By Engagement, Perfect Creature. Feast, Wilderness and The Woman in Black. I've also still got Viy and Haxan left over from my birthday, the original 13 Ghosts and various non-horrors to watch.

I bought Mr S Vampire Kids (trailed in last FF's Trailer Trash) - should be good to cheer us up on the next rainy day we get!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Just ordered my last* three Argentos (Four Flies, Card Player and Do You Like Hitchcock - Flies was wonderful the last time I caught it, and Hitchcock was pretty good as well; Card Player's not that good but the R1 DVD has a Simonetti interview).

* (Well, I say "last", but there are the MoH episodes, the horrible Stendahl, and of course Mother of Tears to come.)
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Waiting for the friendly neigbourhood postman (who's no longer allowed to wear shorts) to bring me:

Tell No-One
The Psychic
The Loreley's Grasp
Horror Rises From the Tomb
The Case of the Scorpion's Tale
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

streetrw wrote:Just ordered my last* three Argentos (Four Flies, Card Player and Do You Like Hitchcock - Flies was wonderful the last time I caught it, and Hitchcock was pretty good as well; Card Player's not that good but the R1 DVD has a Simonetti interview).

* (Well, I say "last", but there are the MoH episodes, the horrible Stendahl, and of course Mother of Tears to come.)
Not forgetting Five Days In Rome. If we'll ever (want to) see that. Has it ever been available?

I just picked up BLue Undergrond's Deep Red so I'm getting close to the full collection as well. I assume it's the recently discussed Four Flies... imprint you've nabbed? Tempting, so tempting...

I still have ...Hitchcock, Pelts, Trauma, Two Evil Eyes and Phantom Of The Opera to pick. And the latest of course. Actually, that's quite a few. Damn.

Plumped for Alan Jones favourite The Last Of Sheila and Willard "Howard The Duck" Hyuck's early Messiah Of Evil on a cheap disc when I was ordering Deep Red and crazy Nazi serial killer thriller Night Of The Generals for 56p -- Cthulhu bless Amazon Marketplace.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Davo
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Davo »

Night Of The Generals for 56p ? A Dickensian premium, really!

My most recent purchases are; Blade Runner (Blu-Ray), O’ Lucky Man (bloody magnificent) and season one and two of jet black BBC comedy series Nighty Night (fiver each from HMV). Is it just me or is Julia Davis seriously arousing in that show..?

I might get round to watching them when I clear the backlog of giallos that are piling up by the telly, including Footprints, The Etruscan Kills Again and Naked Girl Killed in the ParkAnd talking of giallo...

Four Flies is generally considered to be one of Argento's lesser 70s efforts but seriously, when you place it alongside his recent bibble it holds up beautifully. Sure, Brandon lacks the stature of Hemmings in Deep Red, but there's some marvellous moments...

Pelts is worth checking out, if only for the extreme gore and John Saxon in an Elmer Fudd hat.

I'm one of those sad sack Argento-philes who, with the sorry inevitability of a dog returning to its own vomit, always makes the effort to see whether the long hoped for return to greatness has materialised. It never does..

If you haven’t caught ...Hitchcock, its worth seeing, particularly if you're as big a DePalma apologist as I am.

It's Argento in full valentine mode; quite charming in places and playful.. It looks good for a TV movie and has a surprising amount of violence and nudity. There's a couple of effectively grim murder scenes and a nice Pino Donnagio score, reminiscent of his work for Hitchcock's other slavish fanboy, De Palma. It also contains the slowest getaway attempt and chase sequence seen since the earliest days of cinema...

Incidentally if you want a sealed copy of Phantom Giles, it’s yours. I made the mistake - for completist reasons naturally - of buying this DVD shaped sleeping pill when it originally came out, and have an extra copy still sealed from last years FF goodie bag.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

D, it'd be a pleasure to take it off your hands. I'm sure I can source something fun in return. Give me a shout on FB.

I've seen everything bar Pelts, The Third Mother and Five Days In Milan, but, alas, I too succomb to the same rather obsessive ciompulsive disease that necessitates pumelling my DVD shelf with a complete set of the man's works, good bad and ugly. Still, it beats drugs, eh kids?

And I think, along with Ben Howard from Mondo Movie, I might be one of the biggest De Palma apologists in the UK.

Hahaha, that motorcycle "chase" in Hitchcock is golden, yeah. A very cute picture and one with a lot of heart amid the cinephilia, most surprisingly.

Four Flies.. despite it's deeply dodgy scientific bollocks still has one of my favourite Argento flourishes -- the slo-mo car crash at the climax. Beautifully filmed and astonishingly scored. De Palma may be the only person audacious enough to do anything like that nowadays (and perhaps not even him...these days, though The Black Dahlia had its moments).

Last night I nabbed The Omega Man for £3, 2006's Miami Vice for £3 and the Peter Jackson King Kong Deluxe Disc Set for a blazing 4 English Pounds. Go Team HMV!
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i got the king kong deluxe for £4 too at HMV i have noticed that in different stores there can often be different prices on products, the r1 directors cut of 2006 miami vice is the one to go for both editions on one disc and a better choice of extras too with commentary from the mann himself,the US HD disc is the one to have if you have HD drive.
there must be a huge glut of DVDS in the stores as tesco is flogging loads for £3 a must have is Heat 2 disc edition for that price,shaun of the dead as well is £3 i picked up Jaws 2disc for £3