what dvds are we buying?

Get to know the forumites, come and say Hello. Chat music, books, tv or games.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

The artwork is the same as the VHS one which I've borrowed from Amazon:

It's uncut, so they tell me (drilling and vomiting all included now) and in the right widescreen ratio, though maybe the print quality isn't the finest. Haven't looked at the extras - and am I the only one fed up with Vipco putting the same four trailers on every damned disc they release? Oooh, Prisoner of the Cannibal God (or whatever the hell it's called) AGAIN!!!

Oh, and I haven't bought any DVDs in a few months now. :(
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

cheers thanks for this,i shall have to have a look around for this edition.
all the ones i see now are the cheaper 5.99 versions with the plain covers.
Vipco are the scourge of the sell thu sector,thankfully theres blue underground, Grindhouse,Shreikshow & Anchor Bay to compensate :D
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

I just have the cheap vipco one, with the words on the cover.

No commentary here, and only 89 minutes. Another victim of the vipco video slasher.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Weird. I have the words-only pressing of City Of The Living Dead (it only cost me £5) and Jay Slater's commentary with Catriona McColl is present and correct. Fully uncut too...

Wrote a bit about it last Gore In The Store column. Wonderful, utterly innocuous grandly old fashioned horrific horror.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
pauluspink
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by pauluspink »

Just received Beowulf on Bluray - its very nice to watch!

Also from ebay i got Automation Transfusion - an independant zombie flick - quite gory but did get slightly bored by the end of it. I also got the classic movie Superstition from Anchor Bay, something ive been waiting for as i only have it on big box VHS!

I have The Mist 2disc SE already on its way to me so i should have it for the weekend!

Does anybody know where i can get the steelbook definitive version of Predator - i used to see it in HMV every week but now all have sold out and apparently it is now OOP :(
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

pauluspink wrote:Just received Beowulf on Bluray - its very nice to watch!

Also from ebay i got Automation Transfusion - an independant zombie flick - quite gory but did get slightly bored by the end of it. I also got the classic movie Superstition from Anchor Bay, something ive been waiting for as i only have it on big box VHS!

I have The Mist 2disc SE already on its way to me so i should have it for the weekend!

Does anybody know where i can get the steelbook definitive version of Predator - i used to see it in HMV every week but now all have sold out and apparently it is now OOP :(
we ought to have a thread about what dvds are we looking for?
JasonMyers
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JasonMyers »

Been getting some cheap DVDs from play.com and HMV.com - Abel Ferrera's awesome Body Snatchers for £2.99, Wrong Turn 2 for £5.99, Mario Bava's Beyond The Door II for £1.99!!!
JasonMyers
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JasonMyers »

pauluspink wrote:Does anybody know where i can get the steelbook definitive version of Predator - i used to see it in HMV every week but now all have sold out and apparently it is now OOP :(
You can get it on play.com:
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3297659/ ... oduct.html
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

First of all a big hello from me I am Kris, 31 and from Manchester and massively into horror films. So hopefully i will get to know you better on here.

last 2 films I watched :

The Toolbox Murders - I really enjoyed this, it gets you thinking it's the spooky looking handyman behind it untill he gets his head sawn in half! When I started watching this I though how boring is this, it's just so average but the film totally opens up and when they discover the house within the building it gets so much spookier. very very gruesome film indeed. 7/10

The Brood - I got this as a cheapo from ebay and at first I did not really get what was going on. As it is David Cronenburg behind it you sort of expect it to be weird but those mutant kids gave me nightmares! It is weird, it is warped but it is really watchable and i would reccomend it to anyone!!! just don't make her angry!!!! The part where she starts chewing her skin to release the unborn "thing" inside her really turned my stomach and I am pretty ok with all things gruesome. 8/10
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

A big FF welcome to the forums krispy :D
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Hello Krispy.

Not too far away from myself! :D
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Just ordering Romero's Day of the Dead, on the Anchor Bay Divimax R1. (Incidentally, I see that the new version is available on R1 from Amazon early next month...)
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by krispyg »

Thanks to everyone who said hello....

I have enjoyed horor for many years but used to hate it as a youngster but like most things you have a fear of I got over it by watching it and it sort of developed into an interest from there.

My favouite films are :

The Entity - I saw this years ago and I was damned if I could remember the name of it. Anyway a bit of digging around and I refound it. The part where she is being attacked and you can see her skin moving but there is nothing there really spooks me. It is a fantastic story as with most horror there is a character or bad guy and you can see where they are or when they are likely to attack but with The Entity you can not see what is behind it.

The Hitcher - Maybe not strictly a horror per se but a cracking film none the less. The whole cat and mouse feel to the film is what makes it so enjoyable and you would think that in such a huge expanse of space such as the US desert he would lose his stalker but he is just sooooo clever.

Scream - Comedy and horror? Wes Craven? Great mixture. I think the sequels let it down but nothing detracts from the greatness of this film.

Dark Water - One of the first oriental horror films I had seen and although not always deemed as one of the best I really enjoyed it. I liked the fact that it was not that easy to work out what was going on and was rather weird. This film got me into oriental horror and from theer i discovered The Eye, Pulse, Phone, Grudge etc

Feed - What a crazy, dirty and warped film this is. perfect!

The Last Horror Movie - This blew me away, what a different take to have on a film - someone recording their killing spree and then warning you you're next...

I'm sure there are more but I could go on all night rambling on about what makes a good film.

I have piles of dvds at home I have not even got round to watching yet but i'm sure I will soon.

And before i go does anyone know if they have any frightfest events in Manchester and if so when and what? I want to go to the summer one but it's a case of money and hotel costs so I may just go for a couple of days and pick the days where there are films on I really want to see.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

krispyg wrote:Thanks to everyone who said hello....
Hello.
And before i go does anyone know if they have any frightfest events in Manchester and if so when and what? I want to go to the summer one but it's a case of money and hotel costs so I may just go for a couple of days and pick the days where there are films on I really want to see.
Many of us use the High Holborn Halls - LSE student halls of residence used as an inexpensive hotel over the holidays. It's very reasonably priced, close to the Odeon West End (5 to 10 minutes walk, depending on alcohol intake and what heels you're wearing), and comes with a substantial continental breakfast.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by krispyg »

Heels....? what sort of event is this lol

The only other problem I have is with work as everyone wants time off at bank holiday weekends but if I request the time off soon enough who knows. Maybe when I see what days off I can get will dictate what I can and can not go and see.

Anyone who is travelling down by train let me know. I work for Virgin so if I can help you out by showing you how to book online, get decent deals, how to save money by breaking your journey and buying your ticket in 2 parts etc let me know. I can't do any special deals but i do know a few tricks that might help save you some money at least.