what dvds are we buying?

Get to know the forumites, come and say Hello. Chat music, books, tv or games.
arrangedletters
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by arrangedletters »

Or to put what you just said in a negative light..

He uses no script and makes it up as he goes along so nothing can be anything else than part of his "vision" as no one else has a clue what he's doing

lol

although i don't necessarily believe that.

He uses a lot of litteral metaphores.. but i think that was achieved with much greater success by Kubrick in The shining. Although three cheers for any director that gets a dog to blow Nic Cages head off with a shot gun. :)
[img]http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/48648/1218304903/queenvicassshakemk2.gif[/img] My "trying to get a piece of short fiction published in People's Friend magazine" Blog!! www.arrangedletters.blogspot.com
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

Well that isn't strictly what I said :P I was talking more about his visuals than his writing skills, because although in my opinion his written word is fantastic... Its very open to interpretation.

I agree about the connection with Lynch and Kubrick though, Lynch's work is a natural evolution on the themes/imagery/techniques employed by Kubrick.

Although I am not entirely sure what you mean by literal metaphors however, in my eyes that is an oxymoron.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
arrangedletters
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

it is an oxymoron..

take for example the opening to blue velvet.. we have this suburban homely area bloke dies of a heart attack the camera pans down we see a load of bugs. the metaphor in that case would be "its got things seething under the surface" here visually shown literally. Kubrick did the same with some of the metaphors used by stephen king in the book.. which is one of the few books where i prefer the film vastly. t'other being one flew over the cuckoo's nest but thats because it works soooo much better from randal murphy's perspective.. but the film could of been horrible if michael douglas stared in it like he was suppost to.. but he ended up as exec producer.. thankfully leaving it open for nicholson to play the role fantastically.

EDIT: i know i was being an arse and arguing as a politician. It is all about the straw man arguments. taking what some one says and replaying it as a weaker version that you can pull apart easily. horrible technique... sorry :)
[img]http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/48648/1218304903/queenvicassshakemk2.gif[/img] My "trying to get a piece of short fiction published in People's Friend magazine" Blog!! www.arrangedletters.blogspot.com
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Of course, you are dead right. I never really saw them as "literal metaphors" just visual metaphors that don't leave a lot to the imagination, but you are dead right they could definitely be construed at literal metaphors.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

I don't think it's case of Lynch wiriting it all up as he goes along - it's simply that his worlds are not as based in reality as the rest of the Hollywood oeuvre.
Take 'Lost Highway' for example - he creates a dream world where logic and the rules of physical personality do not apply as they do in our world- it's a haunting, semi-dream like vision where what matters most is the emotions that filter through- the anger, the violence, the jealousy as well as the inability of us to avoid our own crimes - almost like Dostoevky's 'Crime And Punishment'.
Inland Empire may indeed be too much of a dream state for a lot of people but it's stil intriguing. Lynch's narrative strands do not seem to be grounded in everyday logic but the psyche and his exploration of this seems to get a little more different every time.
No one can create character quite like Lynch, people who seem to belong to neither the physical plane of reality nor the spiritual - these dark, multi-faceted creatures who seem to carry with them an aura of mystery and a sense of the absurd.

Anyway that's my two bits.

Sincerely yours

Voor
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

voor wrote:Inland Empire may indeed be too much of a dream state for a lot of people but it's stil intriguing. Lynch's narrative strands do not seem to be grounded in everyday logic but the psyche and his exploration of this seems to get a little more different every time.
No one can create character quite like Lynch, people who seem to belong to neither the physical plane of reality nor the spiritual - these dark, multi-faceted creatures who seem to carry with them an aura of mystery and a sense of the absurd.
Yeah, well, I thought it was b*ll*cks.

:)
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

That was my point. People can really get into his writing or people can think it is absolute shite.

But you can't argue that his framing and vision is impeccable, as a visual director he is among the finest.
arrangedletters
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

it was in a review of inland empire i was reading which sytated he often works with out scripts making it up as he goes along.. I will try and find a source to remove this from just being heresy.. sorry hearsay.

:P

I really don't know what it is about his film making i dislike.. but there is just somethign that grates. I recently saw the wayward cloud.. which is a supremely mental taiwanese film and loved it. That has very dream like qualities and a seemingly bizarre obsession with watermelon... Gozu is another prime example of a favourite film that works in its own framework.. I still need to see the elephant man though. :)

EDIT: it may of just bveen inland empire seemingly and i got it round my head. Inland empire he wrote as he filmed over 2 years.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Here's one DVD I won't be buying...

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Lost Boys: The Tribe on 29th July 2008 priced at $27.95 SRP. Angus Sutherland picks up where brother Kiefer left off in the original cult favourite, playing the lead vampire in this modern reimagining of The Lost Boys. The seaside village of Luna Bay is rife with outcasts and plagued by an outbreak of missing persons. As the sun sets, the Tribe rises: a group of adrenaline-fuelled, thrill-crazed vampires tear up the surf and the streets. But when a champion surfer (Tad Hilgenbrinck) and his sister (Autumn Reeser) move in, dark secrets erupt into hot-blooded passions and full-blooded fear. Helping fight the forces of hell is Corey Feldman in his signature role of vampire hunter Edgar Frog.

Run away, run away...
:shock:
First things first, stay calm.
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

I'm very tempted to buy (or download) 5 across the eyes, that preview thingie at the lionsgate day made me want more. There might still be a chance of winning it though as there's no news on the competitions on the main page, so I'll wait 'patiently' for the results.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

more Blu-rays on the way ...

Post by Notts Pete »

Blimey, I haven't had time to calm down since reading about the upcoming TCM and Blue Underground titles when they announce over at dvdtimes the UK Blu-rays coming 4h August from Optimum;
Stargate
Total Recall
Terminator 2
Cliffhanger
The Fog
They Live
Escape from New York

I know you lucky HD-DVDers already have most of these but it's pretty good news. Kurt Russell and Rowdy Roddy Piper chewing bubble gum and kicking-ass in glorious Hi-Def !!! Count me in.
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

All for under £2 from ebay :

Wrong Turn
The thing
Hostel II
Scrof the Return
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Scrof the Return »

Melvin Junko wrote:I'm very tempted to buy (or download) 5 across the eyes, that preview thingie at the lionsgate day made me want more. There might still be a chance of winning it though as there's no news on the competitions on the main page, so I'll wait 'patiently' for the results.
I'd highly recommend it having seen it on the big screen at a festival a couple of months back. I'm not a fan of the whole hand held / micro budget / POV horror, so the premise of this one (filmed entirely from within a van) convinced me that I wasn't going to like it, but....well it's always good to keep an open mind isn't it? This film really works and turned out to be a highlight of the fest.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

wyatt Earp on HD arrived today & Ultraviolet extended cut.
& on a retro note my laserdisc player arrived :D its something i always wanted in the 90s :D
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Mmmm.. Laserdisc

Post by Notts Pete »

Very jealous Grindhouse. Bet the first thing you spin on it's that Dawn of the Dead box set.
If I'd had my way, the HD/Blu-ray war would've been won by my own imaginary format: Philips Hi-Def Laservision - gorgeous 12' discs that could hold about 20 hrs of 1080 video & hd sound. And they'd be packaged in great-looking gatefold sleeves that would actually be fun to go out and buy.

As much as I love the handful of Blu-rays I've just started buying, those tacky plastic cases & un-imaginative covers don't fill me with the same feeling of awe as flipping through a rack LDs - or even my first forays into early video rental shops and being blown away by the VHS/Beta covers of Evil Dead, Zombie Flesheaters et al.

Ah well, suppose that's progress for you :roll:
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.