what dvds are we buying?

Get to know the forumites, come and say Hello. Chat music, books, tv or games.
Scrof the Return
Walking Dead
Walking Dead
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:29 pm
Location: Sheffield

Post by Scrof the Return » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:50 pm

orlovsky wrote:yes, it is! I hadn't realised that we'd got a slightly shorter cut. The bulk of the "extra" footage has some kind of external media, so I'm assuming the only reason it's not in the European print is down to Warners not wanting to / not being able to get clearance for the content.
Don't know about that but having seen both cuts of The Shining I'm definately of the opinion that the shorter cut is far more effective. The 145 minute cut really adds nothing of value and, in a couple of instances, actually spoils things e.g. the first appearance of the sisters in the corridor isn't as scary.

dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:24 pm

Post by dangerous_jamie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm

I just ordered a few cheapies.

Charles Band's Cinemaker - £13
Alienator - £1.20
Sorority Babes At The Slimebal Bowl-o-rama - £3.04 (to replace my VHS which now resides at my local Oxfam)
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.

orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:11 pm
Location: London

Post by orlovsky » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:46 pm

Scrof the Return wrote:
orlovsky wrote:yes, it is! I hadn't realised that we'd got a slightly shorter cut. The bulk of the "extra" footage has some kind of external media, so I'm assuming the only reason it's not in the European print is down to Warners not wanting to / not being able to get clearance for the content.
Don't know about that but having seen both cuts of The Shining I'm definately of the opinion that the shorter cut is far more effective. The 145 minute cut really adds nothing of value and, in a couple of instances, actually spoils things e.g. the first appearance of the sisters in the corridor isn't as scary.
The shorter cut is, without a doubt more effective (infact, the whole "I feel like I've been here before" speech early in the extended cut did cause me to facepalm.) It was still an unexpected treat, being such a huge fan of the film (and, the HiDef transfer is supurb, to say the least!)

arrangedletters
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 2:14 am
Contact:

Post by arrangedletters » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:32 pm

dangerous_jamie wrote:I just ordered a few cheapies.

Charles Band's Cinemaker - £13
Alienator - £1.20
Sorority Babes At The Slimebal Bowl-o-rama - £3.04 (to replace my VHS which now resides at my local Oxfam)
alienator and sorority babes at the slimeball bowl-o-rama...

now thems be proper titles :D
[img]http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/48648/1218304903/queenvicassshakemk2.gif[/img] My "trying to get a piece of short fiction published in People's Friend magazine" Blog!! www.arrangedletters.blogspot.com

orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:11 pm
Location: London

Post by orlovsky » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:15 pm

arrangedletters wrote:
dangerous_jamie wrote:I just ordered a few cheapies.

Charles Band's Cinemaker - £13
Alienator - £1.20
Sorority Babes At The Slimebal Bowl-o-rama - £3.04 (to replace my VHS which now resides at my local Oxfam)
alienator and sorority babes at the slimeball bowl-o-rama...

now thems be proper titles :D
Linnea Quigley! hurrah!!

streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: A hell of my own making
Contact:

Post by streetrw » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:32 pm

Seeing as how Amazon have it down to less than £7, I splashed out on Mother Of Tears, Dario's criminally undervalued and critically neglected modern tour de force.*


Asia Argento! hurrah!! :D

* Sarcasm. It's not, deep down, that great, but it is one of the bonkersest bits of WTF to come down the pike in many a moon, and it's not THAT awful.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!

dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:24 pm

Post by dangerous_jamie » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:00 pm

More cheapies:

Doomed
Shark Attack (to replace the one my ex stole)
Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3
Howling VI: The Freaks
Lake Placid
El Chupacabra

Tenner for the lot.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.

valido
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:00 pm

Post by valido » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:46 pm

dangerous_jamie wrote:More cheapies:

Doomed
Shark Attack (to replace the one my ex stole)
Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3
Howling VI: The Freaks
Lake Placid
El Chupacabra

Tenner for the lot.
I assume you guys know a lot of shops that I don't, even better than play.com... :oops:

dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:24 pm

Post by dangerous_jamie » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:27 pm

I live in Bracknell at the mo, where there is a shop called Virtual Games.

They do six £1.99 titles for a tenner. It's pretty sweet for picking up dirt cheap older horror and exploitation titles.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.

Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1689
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Post by Grindhouse » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:19 pm

is hmv's website down?
both my pcs cant access it?
:cry:
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"

orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:11 pm
Location: London

Post by orlovsky » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:41 pm

it's wee bit slow here, but it's up at least. Someone must of tripped over a power cable somewhere.

Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1689
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Post by Grindhouse » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:40 pm

picked up Days of Glory today 2 disc steelbook from the fopp store in covent garden £6
also picked up over the weekend from the stall
Grindhouse the 6 disc set very cheap with no sxual favours involved :lol: and mechagodzilla and terror of mechagodzilla 2 film set,awesome :)
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"

hacknslash
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:51 pm
Location: london

Post by hacknslash » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:16 pm

5 disc bladerunner boxset special brief case edition with all the trimings. pre ordered day of the dead.

krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:24 am
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:35 pm

[REC]
Zoo

£26 well spent

arrangedletters
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 2:14 am
Contact:

Post by arrangedletters » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:17 am

while queuing at the checkout in Morrison's I noticed prime gold awesome in the dvd bin. King Kong Escapes. King Kong fighting Mecha King Kong with a lazer on his head. this can only be wonderful.
[img]http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/48648/1218304903/queenvicassshakemk2.gif[/img] My "trying to get a piece of short fiction published in People's Friend magazine" Blog!! www.arrangedletters.blogspot.com

Post Reply