what dvds are we buying?

Get to know the forumites, come and say Hello. Chat music, books, tv or games.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

I have to say I am glad I avoided this film. Does anyone have anything good to say about it?
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

krispyg wrote:Talking on the subject of dvds, I am looking at getting a replacement personal dvd player this xmas and have quite a generous budget of upto £200 to spend.

Can anyone shed any light on what is worth having, I want something decent, something that allows you to plug a usb stick in as well.

I am drawn to Shinco, does anyone have on of those?

If not then it may be an mp4 player but I have heard mixed reviews an dthat it can be a lot of messing about transferring stuff onto them.
Last December i got a Pioneer DV-600AV multiregion upscaling dvd player that has a USB port.
its a superb dvd player it was around the £100 range from Richer Sounds
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

My copy of Dance of the Dead arrived today, and I'm waiting for The Strangers to arrive (which will be watched when Doris isn't in)
"I see the bad moon arising.."
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

orlovsky wrote:My copy of Dance of the Dead arrived today, and I'm waiting for The Strangers to arrive (which will be watched when Doris isn't in)
I cant wait to see dance of the dead again,i fear the R1 sales of this movie will stop it being shown at the cinemas,its the perfect fun halloween movie,though notts pete has a copy i might be able to watch.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Grindhouse wrote:
Last December i got a Pioneer DV-600AV multiregion upscaling dvd player that has a USB port.
Now that sounds alreet..........I may have a look at getting one of them. I have my multiregion poineer (none upscaling) dvd player in the back living room with a normal crt 38" telly, but all my HD stuff is in the front room, and I can only play my UK stuff there due to having just the ps3 and the xbox.

Hmmmm. I do trust pioneer dvd players too, I have had this one since the invention of DVD and it's been perfect.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Grindhouse wrote:
krispyg wrote:Talking on the subject of dvds, I am looking at getting a replacement personal dvd player this xmas and have quite a generous budget of upto £200 to spend.

Can anyone shed any light on what is worth having, I want something decent, something that allows you to plug a usb stick in as well.

I am drawn to Shinco, does anyone have on of those?

If not then it may be an mp4 player but I have heard mixed reviews an dthat it can be a lot of messing about transferring stuff onto them.
Sounds decent as I am also looking for a mult region player for at home.

But first I need a new portable one. Any reccoemndations...

I'm looking for 8.5/9inch screen minimum
A usb port
Decent battery life
Sturdy but not too bulky/heavy

I have seen a shinco 8.5" inch screen and that seems to be pretty reasonable and yet the 10.2" screen one does not get as good reviews.

Also this looks promising :

http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/portable-dv ... s-pet1030/

This is the shinco one :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shinco-SDP-6820 ... 65&sr=1-22

And this is the 10.2" screen one :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shinco-SDP-1280 ... 920&sr=1-4

Or this sony one :

http://www.reevoo.com/reviews/mpn/sony/dvp_fx850b
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Notts Pete »

Grindhouse wrote: I cant wait to see dance of the dead again,i fear the R1 sales of this movie will stop it being shown at the cinemas,its the perfect fun halloween movie,though notts pete has a copy i might be able to watch.
Subtle as ever Grindy. :wink:

I'll pop it in the post for you tomorrow.

The R1 Dance is on Sam Saimi's new GhostHouse Underground label. The Nottingham Cinema Store had more titles on this label including one called The Trackman and, best of all, The Substitute - the Danish movie that was missing from this year's FF line-up !!
They also had a box set of Ghosthouse DVDs (about 10), a bit like that 'After Dark Horrorfest' set. It was a bit pricey though and the only other title in it I recognised was Dark Floors with that strange Eurovision rock band. Looks like a label to keep an eye on though...
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Notts Pete wrote:
Grindhouse wrote: I cant wait to see dance of the dead again,i fear the R1 sales of this movie will stop it being shown at the cinemas,its the perfect fun halloween movie,though notts pete has a copy i might be able to watch.
Subtle as ever Grindy. :wink:

I'll pop it in the post for you tomorrow.

The R1 Dance is on Sam Saimi's new GhostHouse Underground label. The Nottingham Cinema Store had more titles on this label including one called The Trackman and, best of all, The Substitute - the Danish movie that was missing from this year's FF line-up !!
They also had a box set of Ghosthouse DVDs (about 10), a bit like that 'After Dark Horrorfest' set. It was a bit pricey though and the only other title in it I recognised was Dark Floors with that strange Eurovision rock band. Looks like a label to keep an eye on though...
Both the R1 Dance of the Dead and Trackman are available for £8.99 on Amazon.co.uk. I don't see how non-internet shops survive these days. I've only been in to a music shop about twice this year.

I see that Ghosthouse are also releasing No Man's Land: Reeker 2 and (pretty cool) Italian low budget shocker The Last House in the Woods, which incidentally is a title change enforced by the producers.

There's a list of the releases here - a mixture of good and pants from the looks of it:

http://www.ghosthousepictures.com/
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Notts Pete wrote:and, best of all, The Substitute - the Danish movie that was missing from this year's FF line-up !!
Oh speak of the devil! I must get that one.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Arrived today Streets of Fire on HD if this comes out on blu ray with extras,count me in on that one.
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

Rach picked up a copy of Feast with Henry Rollins the other day, looks quite good.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Melvin Junko wrote:Rach picked up a copy of Feast with Henry Rollins the other day, looks quite good.
Feast is great fun its took a while to reach these shores, i have it on HD
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

My copy of The Strangers turned up (with the super 'unrated' print containing a whole extra 2 minutes of footage) along with this gem:
Legacy of Blood
"I see the bad moon arising.."
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

DavieT wrote:
maxmum wrote:
DavieT wrote: Well it was shockingly awful :)
What does rustling greenery not do it for you? :lol:
Wel I thought the trees were the best actors in in - Zooey Deschanel was far more wooden :D
At least she looked pretty :)
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

In the GoreZone goodybag:

CABIN FEVER
THE FOG (remake)
REQUIEM FROM THE DARKNESS VOL 1 (anime)