what are you reading?

Get to know the forumites, come and say Hello. Chat music, books, tv or games.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

kitkat wrote:Did any of you guys know that Guillermo del Toro has written a novel. It is called The Strain and is part of a trilogy. It will be published at the end of May.

I also now have my copy of 'Handling the Dead' by Lindqvist. Can't wait to start reading- but have to finish marking all my A level coursework first. It will be an end of marking treat.
Just fail them all or make up marks. That's what my cousin does. :lol:
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Necroscope

Post by maxmum »

gregjames wrote:
capthowdy66 wrote:
maxmum wrote: The only thing I have read by Edward Lee was his story in the 'Traige' book, have you read that?

Three stories based around the same idea, one by Jack Ketchum, one by Edward Lee and one by Richard Laymon.
Yes i have that book, funnily enough it was what introduced me to Edward Lee and Jack Ketchum as my favourite author was Richard Laymon!!
Aye, the three bad boys of American horror. Shame that Laymon's no longer with us. Flesh is one of my favourites.
Aha... so there are Laymon fans here then

I am just about to start book 3 of The Richard Laymon Collection'... there ae like 20 volumes or something with 2 or 3 novels in each... I can't put them down they are so easy to read! Never read him before. Read plenty of Jack Ketchum though.

Oh dear, he is dead is he? That's a shame. I only just discovered him, nice of him to write all those books for me though. :D Although there seems to be lots of sex and rape n stuff by horrid inbred weirdo's and animals etc. :?
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

kitkat wrote:Did any of you guys know that Guillermo del Toro has written a novel. It is called The Strain and is part of a trilogy. It will be published at the end of May.

I also now have my copy of 'Handling the Dead' by Lindqvist. Can't wait to start reading- but have to finish marking all my A level coursework first. It will be an end of marking treat.
I did not know that. Interesting, I wonder if it will be good, should be imaginative at the least!

I looked for handling of the dead last week and play.com didn't know what i was on about.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I don't think I've posted to this thread before, not being much of a reader and all, but I am halfway through one! Colony by Rob Grant. (No, it's not a horror...)
kitkat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by kitkat »

Note to Hello Doris.

Regarding my coursework- I will try the old Uni trick of throwing them down the stairs and however hits the bottom first get the A. Then I can happily read my Lindqvist book in the content knowledge I have done my bit for the British education system.
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

maxmum wrote:
gregjames wrote:
capthowdy66 wrote: Yes i have that book, funnily enough it was what introduced me to Edward Lee and Jack Ketchum as my favourite author was Richard Laymon!!
Aye, the three bad boys of American horror. Shame that Laymon's no longer with us. Flesh is one of my favourites.

I am just about to start book 3 of The Richard Laymon Collection'... there ae like 20 volumes or something with 2 or 3 novels in each... I can't put them down they are so easy to read! Never read him before. Read plenty of Jack Ketchum though.

Oh dear, he is dead is he? That's a shame. I only just discovered him, nice of him to write all those books for me though. :D Although there seems to be lots of sex and rape n stuff by horrid inbred weirdo's and animals etc. :?
On that note, I've just finished reading Edward Lee's THE HOUSE about a mafia-run snuff and animal-p0rn set-up that goes horribly & stickily wrong. I'm never going to look at barbecued babyback ribs in the same way again. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

maxmum wrote:
gregjames wrote:
capthowdy66 wrote: Yes i have that book, funnily enough it was what introduced me to Edward Lee and Jack Ketchum as my favourite author was Richard Laymon!!

His later books (quake onwards) did become women hating rape fests but i preferred his early stuff like Savage and The Stake, have you read these?
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Erm, so far I have read :

Traige
The Cellar
The Beast House
The Midnight Tour
The woods are Dark
Out are the lights

and a few short stories.. all since xmas! I have just purchased:

Night Show
All Hallows Eve

I will be reading them just after I have finished re reading volumes 5 + 6 of Books of Blood.....

I am buying the collection in volume order.....

But I have a shed load to read.. I have my Wasp factory too, and loads of other stuff. No time no time....... :evil:
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

gregjames wrote:
On that note, I've just finished reading Edward Lee's THE HOUSE about a mafia-run snuff and animal-p0rn set-up that goes horribly & stickily wrong. I'm never going to look at barbecued babyback ribs in the same way again. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Lol, that sounds revolting... I must try it!
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Hello Doris! wrote:
maxmum wrote:
Hello Doris! wrote:
buy it buy it! You wont regret it!! If you can't get it I may have a spare somewhere...
It's ordered...it was cheaper to buy it in a set with 2 other iain rankin books for £4.99.

Looks like you read plenty Doris, can you recommend any good horror technology type stuff... like horror with nano technology and that kind of stuff?

I read Prey by Michael Crichton and loved that, and I picked up parasite eve (not got round to that yet though) wondered if you knew of anything else similar...... thanks in advance.
erms.... Lets me have a think or a look on my bookshelf! :lol:

What other Iain Banks did you get? The Bridge is excellent, as is Crow Road. I have two copies of that, so you can always have one.
Did you think of anything Doris?

Hey - what a disaster, that Iain banks book came and it's a flipping studyt guide not the novels so i have to send it back! Idiots, they advertised it as 3 books.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

maxmum wrote:
gregjames wrote:
Lol, that sounds revolting... I must try it!
It is. Lee makes a lot of the 'torture p0rn' out there look like My Little Pony the Movie. Excellent stuff.
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

His later books (quake onwards) did become women hating rape fests
I think that's a bit harsh. What happens in Quake is no more graphic than the lynching that opens One Rainy Night. Personally I rate Laymon for his unflinching depiction of just how unpleasant guys can be. There's a difference between honesty about the male mindset and being a misogynist, I think.[/quote]
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

Maybe a bit harsh but the later books did seem to focus a lot on rape and degradation of women that wasn't there in his earlier work. With quake when the women is tied to the chair after repeatedly being raped she doesn't respond to her attacker any more so he bites her vagina!! :oops:
kitkat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by kitkat »

Hello Doris! wrote:
kitkat wrote:John Ajvide Lindqvist (the author of Let the Right One In) has a new book coming out in March. It is called'Handling the Dead' and seems to be about zombies. I've already pre-ordered my copy from Amazon as if it is half as good as LTROI it will be better than a lot of horror novels out there. Speaking of swedish writers, has anyone read any Stieg Larsson. They are well worth a read.
Mr O has promised me that, but they keep putting it back so sometime this year would be nice. I've noticed in the local waterstones they are starting to push LTROI.

Not read any Stieg Larsson, the cover on his book puts me off. However you may like Natsuo Kirino for horror/thriller writing.
Just started reading Karino's Grotesque. Absolutely amzing book. Thanks for the recommendation.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

just finished a superb book
Blade Runners,Deer Hunters & Blowing The Bloody Doors Off.
my life in cult movies
Michael Deeley
a fascinating read spanning the italian job to blade runner and everything in between,even a 70s pop festival which took place in a field in Bardney Lincolnshire of all places
and now makes me want to rewatch the deer hunter, the italian, job blade runner and even convoy
http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Great-We ... ress1.html
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"