what are you reading?

Get to know the forumites, come and say Hello. Chat music, books, tv or games.
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Melvin Junko »

Almost finisht Lumley's Necroscope: the lost years vol 1. Got vol 2 lined up and then I think I've had enough of this series, hard to believe there's 10 more books after that. Ordered me some Edward lee, Richard Laymon and Haruki Murakami books, all writers that are completely new to me.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
stewartguitar
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

The Horror Anthology of Horror Anthologies

Post by stewartguitar »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horror-Antholog ... 026&sr=8-1

I've just read this, and it was brilliant, so I've posted a comprehensive review on Amazon - below is a short version. It should be right up the street of Frightfesters.

Themed anthologies can be predictable or repetitive, with similar themes being regurgitated in one story after another. The HA of HA is a glorious exception.

The brief, that every story should be about, or inspired by, a horror anthology, is sufficiently vague for authors to off at various tangents, and they certainly have. The tales vary from the fairly straightforward to the bizarrely surreal, dealing with subjects from the banal to the most existentially absurd.

The volume as a whole is a thoroughly satisfying read, an eclectic collection of hideous parts assembled into a Frankensteinian beast by an editor who obviously loves his subject. There are half a dozen absolute gems in here, a remarkable batting average for a volume of this type, nestled in a solidly well-written and engaging set of tales.

It’s not perfect – a few passages came across just as a little too carefully and self-consciously put together, as if by an author who hasn’t quite found his or her own voice yet, but every single story has something to recommend it. There are no fillers here; it’s all worth reading.

Over the last two decades the classic staples of horror fiction have been hijacked and sanitised for the mainstream, so the current generation of horror writers are probing new avenues to unsettle us in different ways. I can’t think of a book that demonstrates this more effectively than this one.

A definite recommend for horror fans.
DemonChickxx
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by DemonChickxx »

Ash by James Herbert...

Story about a ghost Hunter/Para-psychologist who investigates a very secluded castle in Scotland, that the high and mighty use as an institute for the broken,insane, mentally unstable, BUT wealthy and well to do people to stay and recover at. Even has the Queen and Prince Phillip in it !!!
DemonChickxx
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: The Horror Anthology of Horror Anthologies

Post by DemonChickxx »

stewartguitar wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horror-Antholog ... 026&sr=8-1

I've just read this, and it was brilliant, so I've posted a comprehensive review on Amazon - below is a short version. It should be right up the street of Frightfesters.

Themed anthologies can be predictable or repetitive, with similar themes being regurgitated in one story after another. The HA of HA is a glorious exception.

The brief, that every story should be about, or inspired by, a horror anthology, is sufficiently vague for authors to off at various tangents, and they certainly have. The tales vary from the fairly straightforward to the bizarrely surreal, dealing with subjects from the banal to the most existentially absurd.

The volume as a whole is a thoroughly satisfying read, an eclectic collection of hideous parts assembled into a Frankensteinian beast by an editor who obviously loves his subject. There are half a dozen absolute gems in here, a remarkable batting average for a volume of this type, nestled in a solidly well-written and engaging set of tales.

It’s not perfect – a few passages came across just as a little too carefully and self-consciously put together, as if by an author who hasn’t quite found his or her own voice yet, but every single story has something to recommend it. There are no fillers here; it’s all worth reading.

Over the last two decades the classic staples of horror fiction have been hijacked and sanitised for the mainstream, so the current generation of horror writers are probing new avenues to unsettle us in different ways. I can’t think of a book that demonstrates this more effectively than this one.

A definite recommend for horror fans.
Sounds really good, I will keep an eye out for that one :-)
jan127
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by jan127 »

I've just started reading "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins
Sharon G. Kim
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Sharon G. Kim »

jan127 wrote:I've just started reading "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins
Great book! Personally I start reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. Rand's fourth and last novel, it was also her longest, and the one she considered to be her magnum opus in the realm of fiction writing
I am here for your entertainment!
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

The Doom That Came To Sarnath (and Other Stories), HPL.
hitor87
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by hitor87 »

Batman Secret Files #11
Batman Blank Comic #1
JL#9
Heroes In Crisis #2
Also reading IT's original novel. The climax is far more twisted.