what are you reading?

Get to know the forumites, come and say Hello. Chat music, books, tv or games.
PatrolBen
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by PatrolBen »

I'm reading Peter Jackson: A film makers Journey. It goes into great detail on how all his films came about and how he made them. It's very influential. I'm only 100 odd pages in though.
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

I'm currently working my way through Herbert van Thal's Pan Horror series...on book 6 at the moment, only another 24 to go :)
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
satanslittlehelper
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by satanslittlehelper »

Just got an advance copy of Mark Kermode's "It's only a movie!", will see if he has anything intelligent/relevant to say. It's kind of a biographical journey through the important movies in his life.
"If you were the only suspect in a senseless bloodbath - would you be standing in the horror section?"
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

Just finished the 7 issue comic series No Hero by Warren Ellis and illustrated by Juan Hose Ryp.
Like Black Summer, from the same team, even if not Ellis' best work the snappy script and lavish visuals by Ryp, made it worth while.
These two titles are the closest thing I've seen to Frank Miller and Geof Darrow's cult classic Hard Boiled for full on intensely illustrated ultra-violence.

Glad to see Rufus is getting stuck into the Zombie comics, they often hit the spot better than a lot of the films.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

'Chronicles of Wormwood' from Avatar press has just started it's second mini series. If you haven't read it run to your local comic shop and buy the first trade then get stuck into the new 6 issue mini-series. Written by Garth Ennis, it's good clean fun.
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

PeterPan wrote:'Chronicles of Wormwood' from Avatar press has just started it's second mini series. If you haven't read it run to your local comic shop and buy the first trade then get stuck into the new 6 issue mini-series. Written by Garth Ennis, it's good clean fun.
I tend to like anything by Garth Ennis, but Chronicles of Wormwood is one of my favourites. A satanic talking rabbit who upsets sci-fi nerds with his online persona "watership down", a black Jesus with brain dammage from his run in with the LAPD, an evil Aussie Pope and a man with a cock for a nose because he pissed off the Antichrist, who incidentally, works in television. Black comedy and religious satire don't get any darker or funnier.

I just read the first seven issues of Crossed, again by Ennis. PeterPan is right: this is one mean, no holds barred, mamma-jamma of a zombie(ish) comic. I can't wait for the next issue. It makes Walking Dead look like Calvin and Hobbes. Bleak.
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Mr Bill wrote:
PeterPan wrote:'Chronicles of Wormwood' from Avatar press has just started it's second mini series. If you haven't read it run to your local comic shop and buy the first trade then get stuck into the new 6 issue mini-series. Written by Garth Ennis, it's good clean fun.
I tend to like anything by Garth Ennis, but Chronicles of Wormwood is one of my favourites. A satanic talking rabbit who upsets sci-fi nerds with his online persona "watership down", a black Jesus with brain dammage from his run in with the LAPD, an evil Aussie Pope and a man with a cock for a nose because he pissed off the Antichrist, who incidentally, works in television. Black comedy and religious satire don't get any darker or funnier.

I just read the first seven issues of Crossed, again by Ennis. PeterPan is right: this is one mean, no holds barred, mamma-jamma of a zombie(ish) comic. I can't wait for the next issue. It makes Walking Dead look like Calvin and Hobbes. Bleak.
Great description of Chronicles of Wormwood there. Curse my lazy posting. :D
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

Just started Jesus Hates Zombies- a very silly comic, but good clean blasphemous fun.
Oly
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Oly »

I am finishing "The Mantle of the Prophet" by Joseph Frank, a fifth and the last book about Dostoevsky. It was a long journey for me, more than a 2000 pages long history of a writer and his work, but I can not imagen Frank's journey from 1969 till 2002... such a long period of time to write everything that he found out about Dostoevsky's work.

The great thing is that Frank was writing about his work not that much about his life, because, as I do, he is also for the artist and not for the man, unless some parts of writers life is not conected to the work itself. With Dostoyevsky it was very mixed but I was happy to find out that it is not going to be about trivia from his life. And it was not.The main thing is work, not the author because I do not know him, and never will, but I know his work by heart and that is the only thing that I am interestied with, so Frank's writing was writen just the way I wanted him to do :D .

This is the greatest book that I have ever read with such an insight from a man that I was left puzzled how did he know all that.

I think that Dostoevsky would also like to give his congratulations to Joseph Frank.

Anyway, one of a kind book from very good to amazing analysis of his work for the Western reader.
Have a lovely day
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

Prior to reading the third and final volume, i'm re-reading the first two volumes of Sea of Red brilliant Vampire Pirate graphic novel set both in 16th century and modern times. Great story with plenty of dark twists, but my favourite detail is the money grabbing, power mad film director called "Joel Cameron" which i think is kind of brilliant.

Also re-read first couple of volumes of Wasteland for the same reason, equally good post appocalyptic religious desert epic.
Rufus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rufus »

Mr Bill wrote:brilliant Vampire Pirate graphic novel set both in 16th century and modern times. Great story with plenty of dark twists
Another addition to the comics shopping list from Mr Bill!
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I'm reading The Road after all the hoo haa on this forum about it.

I dont like it :( Im a third of the way through and nothing at all has happened. It's depressing and boring at the same time. I am hoping something happens by the time I am half way through - if not I am dumping it.

I dont like the way it's written either I find it pretentious. And I dont like the phase 'there is rubbish in the floor' or 'there is ash in the floor' etc etc, he says it umpteen times and it bugs me - surely it should be 'on' the floor.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

Am reading 'If chins could kill' by Bruce Campbell, it's pretty interesting, funny and has loads of pictures from throughout Bruce's carreer. Good Lunchtime material.

After that I'm gonna get started with Agitator: the cinema of Takashi Miike. This one looks like it's gonna be a bit harder to get through, it's like a proper academic study of Takashi's movies. I think I'm gonna need my English-Dutch dictionary for this one :D
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Clive Barkers The Damnation Game is currently keeping my mind occupied, great story, very Faustian.

Then I'm onto The Shelter Drawings By Henry Moore i remember having a quick glance at this when iw as at college, not really appreciating or connecting with the likes of Bauhaus artists or Dadaism i took to Moores work greatly. Hopefully will be an interesting read.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

Just about finished 'A Clash of Kings' by George R.R. Martin. Not sure if I'll dive straight into the next book in the series, might go with something else for a break,
"The suspect is armed with a machete in one hand, and his genitals in the other."