Black Water

Shamble, like a zombie, down Memory Lane. The ghost of FF2007 awaits you.
VictorCrowley
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Black Water

Post by VictorCrowley »

Killer croc on the rampage!

Did our reptilian creature feature tickle your fancy?
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

No. Apart from the last ten minutes or so, which picked up a bit, it was Adrift all over again.

2/10
Last edited by jonbly on Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

in the minority here i can see why its not for every one but i realy enjoyed this.

some good performances, good croc FX, great scene illuminated only when theres lightening, the grimness of Grace having to listen to her husband being eaten. and i really liked the part where the croc popped up in front of them as they were leaving as if to say "and where the crud do you think you are going".

yes it could have done with being a 70min movie but i prefered it to Open Water
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Sarah of the Dead »

This was DREADFUL. Just mindnumbingly boring.
[size=75][url=http://sarahhatesyourmovie.blogspot.com]Sarah Hates Your Movie[/url][/size]

Post by Guest »

jonbly wrote:No. Apart from the last ten minutes or so, which picked up a bit, it was Adrift all over again.

2/10
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Black Water, Aussie horror film of the kind where some people get isolated somewhere and something happens. I must admit to trepidation when they went into the wilds of swampdom so early in the film, but you know what?
This really worked for me. Agree with ghouldrool that it's preferable to many of the similar films that are out there.

Two sisters and the husband of the eldest go for a fishing trip that goes horribly wrong. Less than half way through they end up capsized and no way of escaping from the crocodile what done it ...
the rest of the plot I will leave to your imagination, but the tension and believability of most of the consequences was well handled by the actors.
May not be to everyone's tastes, but for me this was a realistic bit of pacing, and conveyed that - sometimes - waiting for death is more potent than sudden shocks.

Oh there are some wet clothing shots that are absolutely vital to the plot, but it isn't that sort of film.

SPOILER: sadly the crocodile died in the end, Just like Old Yeller. END SPOILER

And it was great to catch up with people again, see more of you all over the next few days !

Post by Guest »

I enjoyed this film, I think the film makers did really well with a fairly simple and not terribly original story. Obviously the fact that all movies are 10 minutes too long applies here, but overall not bad at all.
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

I loved this film and felt really sorry for the makers of it as it reieved such a poor reaction after the screening.
Especially with a couple of people shouting out at the end that it was shit.
I do hope this sort of negative reaction does not stop the organisers putting on this tye of movie in the future also hope the director was not in attandance to witness it..
I find it a real shame that 90% of the frightfesters seem to just want to see gore and comedy.
This movie for was serious scary and believable it had me gripped to my seat. Just like Adrift which nobody else semed to like.
For some reason my faves tend to be the ones that the majority of the festival goers don't like , for instance i also really enjoyed the collingswood story which didn't really go down that well.
My personal favourite of last year was The Living and The Dead and that never got any cinema release as far as i know and i am still awating some news of a dvd release.
Still i guess iv'e always been in a minority.
bill

Post by bill »

You're not the minority. By all reports this film has sold all over the place which is amazing considering they made it for the equiv. of about £400K. I guess it wasn't for frightfest horror nerds who like horrors that are really comedies - and that's not a critique of Black Sheep at all, though screening right after that film didn't help much. Black Water wasn't a ride. It was a drama. I think it did everything right that Adrift did wrong. It had a real monster - you just had to wait for it.
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

ghouldrool wrote: yes it could have done with being a 70min movie
You have no idea how many times I though this over the course of the weekend - and this was one of those times.
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

I'm glad to see there were more people who really liked this. I thought it was excellent. The croc looked really creepy and the sound fx when he's eating the husband were horrible (in that they were good).

This type of film really relies on the actors to carry it and make it believable. The 3 cast members were great in their roles, particularly Leigh the younger sister. Not just cos she was cute as a button but I really believed her character and she had my sympathy. Even when she was doing those little prayers that had people laughing.

Not so sure about the shot where the croc jumps out of the water. It made me jump, so I guess it worked but it seems a bit out of place.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Adrift up a tree just about summed this up for me.

I hated that last year so no suprise that I didn't like this.

I know some people I spoke to really liked it, horses for courses and all that.

But hey, how dull would it make all the post film chats if we all liked the same films.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Thought it was a bit slow paced. Did find it amusing that the two girls were hopelessly shouting"help help" in the tree. I was thinking you have to be joking! I do remember I think the husband said "we stay here and be rescued" and then half later someone else the same exact same line.

Thought the crocodile leaping out of the water was a bit far fetched. Agree about the comments of the sound effects of the husband becoming croc lunch. Some great crunching sound effects!

Did not have any scares or jumps for me. The story could of been told in a shorter running time.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
jimbo
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by jimbo »

I really liked this one. I totally get why some didn't like it, and can't argue with that - it was slowly paced, could have maybe done with losing 5 or 10 mins - but it really worked for me. Maybe it helped that Black Sheep was a bit of a let down, and I wanted to be freaked out and put through some tension, which this did. Very affecting, and nice how the croc doesn't do anything a real croc wouldn't (apart from the jumping bit, but they do leap out of the water, don't know how high though...). Really worked for me overall, nicely done!
bill

Post by bill »

They used real crocs so i guess they really can jump like that.