Shamble, like a zombie, down Memory Lane. The ghost of FF2007 awaits you.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

For jonbly, this worked pretty well - especially the first half of his time in the room. By the time the room is freezing / exploding, though, it's starting to feel a little bit... slapstick?

7.5/10
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

1408 (remember there is NO Thirteenth Floor!) was a very nice big budget one, but I cannot understand why it is the biggest grossing Stephen King film. John Cusack is really good in a one man show for 75% of the film, as the writer of Haunted House guides who does not believe in that sort of stuff. He is strongly advised by Samuel L Jackson's hotel manager not to go into the room. He does. He gets terrorised by visions and then memories. (I agree that the fantasy sequences towards the end diminish the effect of the paranoid tension.)

The only flaw for me was that he had to use his laptop to contact his wife. If only he'd called her up and said "I am coming to New York for the first time since (that thing happened)".
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Am a big John Cusack fan but this still just felt like a big budget tv movie.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Kind of enjoyed this one. This was more like a atmospheric building film. Which did not really work for me. Those scenes of him freezing and meeting his daughter was very much drawn out. Like the hotel setting. John Cusack and Samuel L Jackson like always are reliable to deliver a good performance

Again very much a jump free film.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
iam_dan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by iam_dan »

a very main stream general audience loving horror film but had a good performance in john cusack and i did enjoy it
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

Other Stephen King movies (eg The Green Mile) have been more successful at the box office, this was just the highest grossing Stephen King HORROR movie....and i thought it was first-rate, totally carried by an absolute tour de force from Mr Cusack but full of good scares and atmospheric moments. The quieter stuff worked better than the more in-your-face pyrotechnics, but that's just a general trend for ghost movies.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Excellent turn from John Cusack - the Samuel L Jackson in the fridge was bit weird but very good movie all round.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

:lol:

Yeah

Reminded me of Zool in the fridge in Ghostbusters
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Samuel L Jackson is so cool he don't need a fridge ;)
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

This was watchable but instantly forgettable after leaving the cinema
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

I enjoyed it when it was just John Cusack in a regular creepy hotel room. When the room started turning into an ocean/the artic/the beach, I tuned out. I did get a shiver down my spine from the dictaphone moment at the end though.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

This was above average... I wouldn't rush to see it again but I certainly enjoyed it at the time, and Cusack and Jackson were both good in it.
First things first, stay calm.
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

Reanimator wrote:This was watchable but instantly forgettable after leaving the cinema
I agree - it felt like it went quickly, and I quite enjoyed it at the time despite its many flaws (I'm so glad the 'it was all a dream'/surfing accident aftermath wasn't the explanation for it all, though), but it left my head pretty quickly after leaving the theatre.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I didn't like this one at all. As soon as he crashed onto the beach I knew the bulk of the movie was going to be a hallucination / near death experience kind of thing - which is just another way of saying "It was all a dream".

Some of the early scenes weren't too bad, but as Jonbly says above, it gets silly (Sam in the fridge), and not in a knockabout Black Sheep kind of a way. Disappointing, and I wasn't expected much from it anyway.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: 1408

Post by zappa fan »

currently on amazon prime
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey