Eden Lake

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Eden Lake

Post by jonbly »

jonbly liked this one. The first beach scene was nicely awkward, and the lead youth (in fact, the whole gang) was very well played. The ending was nicely set up, too.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

A good well made opening movie with very good performances from the leads particularly the lead kid Jack O'Connell who played one very believably evil little sicko b*****d. Should we be scared of such kids? Actually I was more revulsed by the parents.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

I hated this movie. It's well made and very well acted, but I had a fundamental problem with its message which I thought was reactionary middle-class toss. I'm sure the Daily Mail will hate it, like they hate every genre film, but really it's one of their editorials come to bloody life.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

I thought this was a good start to the weekend, nice to see a british film with such excellent visual and actorly qualities. But then I also agree with MaxRenn about the class message.

The scene of the Nice Couple looking at the Horrible Families when they stop for food :roll my eyes:

As I said on the way out "Working class East Midlanders are scum ! I am never going to the Midlands again !"
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

AdeBrown wrote:I thought this was a good start to the weekend, nice to see a british film with such excellent visual and actorly qualities. But then I also agree with MaxRenn about the class message.

The scene of the Nice Couple looking at the Horrible Families when they stop for food :roll my eyes:

As I said on the way out "Working class East Midlanders are scum ! I am never going to the Midlands again !"

Hmm a bit harsh there and with that comment,does that mean eastmidlanders are different to any other working class folks,no!
but still you dont have to go there,you can just deal with the innercity folks. :)
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Liked it, has a chance of a mainstream breakout, but was a bit dumb in it's treatment of class structures...

Kelly Reilly was both great and gorgeous...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
Fenriz
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Fenriz »

Yeah it was pretty good I thought, it was a bit of a depressing start to the weekend considering last year started with Black Sheep, but I still enjoyed it. The bit where the kid puts the stanley knife in the guys mouth was the first moment of the fest to make me go urgh, nasty stuff. Nice to see it didn't go for a happy ending either and stayed brutal all the way through. Not one of the best of the weekend, but liked it all the same.

7/10
rambozo
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by rambozo »

Thought (as did a few it seems) that the social commentary was a bit off!

Even with the 'twist' it wasn't anything we hadn't seen before - but this was well-executed (pardon the pun).

A good, but 'down' start to a great weekend.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Did like this but it still had a few problems.

But far and away the best thing on the first day.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Liked this one. Looked great and had sufficient amount of suspense and gore to keep you hooked.
narcan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by narcan »

Eden Lake made me feel really uneasy and a bit sick. Especially the super-nasty ending which essentially subverted the climax of Last House On The Left. Best movie on Thursday by a mile for me.

I'd like to see the yob with the knob from Eden Lake & the meat humping dad from Mum & Dad go head to head in a Freddy Vs Jason icons of horror, swearing for England, style grudge match.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It's true that it's not much we haven't seen before - a lot of running around in the woods from armed and merciless maniacs before turning the tables on them - but efficiently done and crunchily nasty in places. I didn't like the ending: I suppose it's the only way it can logically end but it's a kick to the audience who've invested emotionally in the fate of the characters and who want to see chavvy peasant scum get their due. (See Adam Mason's intolerable Broken from a few years ago for the same spit in the viewer's eye.) But it IS well made, there's no question about that.

I think it just got lucky in the sense that it's coincided with a rash of headlines about Britain's Youth Out Of Control. I'm not convinced that cinema is the best place for social issues because of the huge lag time between writing the first draft and getting the finished product to an audience - in this case I think he said it was three years. For all they could have known, the Government might have managed to eradicate youth crime while they were making it....
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Liked this one, only thing that put me off was the male leads actions in the first place - maybe a bit more tenacious in his pursuit of moral justice than you'd normally expect..which we all knew would antagonize and lead to trouble. The kids were despicable, and the realism of the whole situation was what made it particularly scary, in my opinion..
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

I really liked this one but it worrys me, because you know there are kids out there who would love to get away with that. Sad but true
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Eden Lake

Post by Stephen with ph »

One of the highlights of the festival, genuinely scary and with a little more substance than you'd expect from this subgenre...

but I am middle-class...