The Strangers

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
psychobilly
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by psychobilly »

I loved this, great film, Liv tyler is pretty and pretty good at being scared too
Production Design was ace, really nice, loved the tone, i would have appreciated this more if i wasnt so tired. i cant help feel sometimes it takes away from the film watching one after another, they all start feeling a bit too long, this happened with this one so i'm going to watch it again when it comes out and enjoy it properly.
next time i'm gonna miss more films and really enjoy the ones i do watch.
Miikeyboypaines
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Miikeyboypaines »

Again good to see the general consensus was positive for what I expected (and everyone else I suspect) to be standard Hollywood fare.

Yeah, it may not have made me jump quite so much if the sound hadn't been so brutal, but there were still some effectively creepy scenes.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Rogue's 'Strangers' set for sequel

Rogue Pictures has set in motion a sequel to its summer hit "The Strangers" and has set Bryan Bertino to return to write the script.
Bertino wrote the original and made his directing debut on the film; it’s yet to be determined whether he’ll helm the sequel.

The expectation is that Liv Tyler, along with several of the original villains, will return. Production is being slated for early 2009.

"Strangers" became Rogue’s first breakout hit, and the genre division of Focus Features is approaching the sequel as a franchise that could have the legs of "Saw" or "Scream."

Budgeted at $9 million, the film grossed $54 million domestically in a highly competitive summer release slot. It has just begun an international rollout that expands to the U.K. this Friday.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 ... id=13&cs=1
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

sherbetbizarre wrote:
"Strangers" became Rogue’s first breakout hit, and the genre division of Focus Features is approaching the sequel as a franchise that could have the legs of "Saw" or "Scream."
Oh god, I think I'm going to be sick.

"Yeah, great film, let's fuck it up by making a string of increasingly weak and tedious sequels..."

Somebody shoot me.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Such sound business sense.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/ ... =sawvs.htm

I'd like to see Fraidy Cat Liv sign up some heavy hitters and go and teach them pesky kids a lesson.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

A franchise based on the one true story (which is contained within the first film) then - mmm that makes sense...

Still, cant resist the urge based on the director's name just to ask:

"What would Brian Bertino do, if he were here right now?

:D
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

AndyJWS wrote:A franchise based on the one true story
Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, Amityville? All these are just as much based on "true" stories, and all spawned franchises
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

And don't forget The Madness of King George, The Madness of King George III and the recent sequel, The Queen.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
arrangedletters
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by arrangedletters »

MaxRenn wrote:
AndyJWS wrote:A franchise based on the one true story
Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, Amityville? All these are just as much based on "true" stories, and all spawned franchises
two of which are based on the same true story. go team gein!
[img]http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/48648/1218304903/queenvicassshakemk2.gif[/img] My "trying to get a piece of short fiction published in People's Friend magazine" Blog!! www.arrangedletters.blogspot.com
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

At least Amityville had more than one of its films based on true story (the first told of the Lutzes, the second of the DeFeos, and at least one of the sequels was "based" on a dubious interview of another tenant :wink:), plus with Team Gein you had a good couple of movies worth of material in the one guy... with The Strangers true story apparently ending within the film (the film changed the outcome) it doesn't leave any factual basis for continuation, unless you base a sequel just on the torture involved during the events covered...

Mind you, if it's true that the "true events" are actually an extremely loose basis on the Manson Killings then there could be room after all... would make TCM look factually accurate though :wink:
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

AndyJWS wrote:Amityville ... and at least one of the sequels was "based" on a dubious interview of another tenant :wink:)
I don't think that's quite true... although a couple of sequels are loosely based on items from the house, which apparently gave the new owners some gyp.

But some of the sequels are based on unofficial novels which claim to be true :wink:
i-went-to-frightfest
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by i-went-to-frightfest »

this was a really well made chiller for me, some great scenes but i think was spolied with the advertising using the 1 good line..because you were home...which is a really scary thing to hear from someone i think
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

What impressed me with The Strangers was how much it frightened me for a film with a 15 certificate. If a film gets a 15 I usually look at it as it could have done more but chose not to but this was not the case.

It was a film about suspense, about something that could be there, is it there, wait and see etc

I just wish the last 20 minutes of the film explained a bit more, like why that house etc....
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

...because they were home!
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

So the answer is if some random freak knocks your door at 4am don't answer or else....