King of the Hill

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

King of the Hill

Post by jonbly »

More hoodies! ...which is presumably why it didn't quite make the cut this year.

Pretty good, although the use of rifles, and hiding the identity of the attackers, leaves it too late in the film to bring the two sides together.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Screwed up little Spanish sickos with guns as opposed to screwed up little Brit sickos with knives and f****d up parents - but Eden lake was a much better movie. Too samey so can see why it was originally dropped from the line up.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

DavieT wrote:... but Eden lake was a much better movie.

I'm a 180 degrees from you on this one, I liked this film a lot more than Eden Lake. There are significant pacing problems with it in the first half, but when it took a left turn into Heneke territory I really took off for me.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

MaxRenn wrote:
DavieT wrote:... but Eden lake was a much better movie.

I'm a 180 degrees from you on this one, I liked this film a lot more than Eden Lake. There are significant pacing problems with it in the first half, but when it took a left turn into Heneke territory I really took off for me.
I'm wondering how the two would have compared if this movie played before Eden Lake
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Of the three similar themed movies (Eden Lake/King of the Hill/Manhunt) I prefered this one. They all have their merits, but the pay off (are we allowed to give spoilers here ?):
When they turned out to be kids playing a real world computer game complete with perspective camera shots and older boy's realisation of the consequences
was very well delivered.

I am getting "lost in the woods fatigue" ...
(Having said that, all three of these films have their strengths)
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Fenriz
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Fenriz »

Yeah, thought this was one of the weaker films of the weekend, so I can understand why it wasn't in the original line up. And having this immediately following the other Spanish film Time Crimes, I was completely sick of people saying "hola" every other word by the end of this!

To start with it looked like it might be a comedy with the gas station scene, then it turned into a Wolf Creek style hunter/stalker film, and then Eden Lake-style when the stalkers were finally revealed to be kids. I didn't really get the "emotional" scene at the end. Overall wasn't so keen.

5/10
Scrof the Return
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Scrof the Return »

Groan, more hoodies, and I was expecting a feature length version of a cartoon about a propane gas salesman :lol:
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Found this rather boring and nothing we haven't seen before.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

A little slow and lacking in excitement for me, plus I was very disappointed that The Substitute didn't make it as it looked like it would have been a giggle.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Pretty bleak. More running around in the woods from murderous young bastards; it's almost Eden Lake 2. I did rather like it, though I was expecting the third kid (referred to as Snake) to show up at the last moment, shoot the last survivor, and Win The Game - because it was nothing more than a game.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

streetrw wrote:Pretty bleak. More running around in the woods from murderous young bastards; it's almost Eden Lake 2. I did rather like it, though I was expecting the third kid (referred to as Snake) to show up at the last moment, shoot the last survivor, and Win The Game - because it was nothing more than a game.
Snake got run over and killed early on, didn't he? That's why his score stops on the game sheet. I thought the 1st person shooter bits in this were really well done.
Khouri
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Khouri »

I liked this one but I can see why it was dropped from the original line up due to the comparisons with Eden Lake. Still, it was enjoyable to watch and I wasn't expecting the snipers to be kids at all.
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

Yeah... I didnt like this one, left 20 mins in
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

was it just me or was anyone else really happy when the fat kid was drowned?
:lol:
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Nicely done - a good story and this played well