King of the Hill

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Was this the one with the sobbing man? Meh.

I did nod off though. I would give it another chance.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

Slightly overlong but a fantastic initial set-up and emotionally engaging.

The references and blatant comments on de-sensitisation and pop culture were a tad too obvious and clumsy, but teh acting, development and tension were brilliantly handled.

A great substitute, although tiotally understand its initial absence due to its echoing of many other FF film themes.
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
Tragedygirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Tragedygirl »

Found it a bit blah blah really. I think if viewed on its own might have enjoyed it more ... but was left unimprerssed with the "oh its kids" revelation.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Loved the first half - the second half was ok though it seemed like a bit of a let down - however it was one of those rare times when guns seemed scary for a change.

Sincerely yours

Voor
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Quite enjoyed this one. Great use of sound. Agree about the comments of thinking of another chase through the woods. That aside. Still enjoyed it. A bit of a shame they revealed it was children a bit early in the film.

Liked the alternating shots of gun(a bit like Doom) and then children.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Hello Doris! wrote:was it just me or was anyone else really happy when the fat kid was drowned?
:lol:
Brought a big smile to my face too ;)
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Decent, fairly brutish although would have preferred if the real video game reliance had been by the guy isolated and attacked... but the name of the main character (which is probably banned on the forum)? Surely they got mixed up with Bad Biology there?!
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

I had forgotten about that!

I was sitting by a stranger, but I desperately wanted to make a comment, when he was getting to know the girl in the petrol station, about them both getting some Quim.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I'd seen this one at TIFF last year so was glad of the extra break! Although it was a shame to lose The Substitute which I've still yet to see...
First things first, stay calm.
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

Quite enjoyed this one, although it did feel like something I'd seen before. If I'd seen it on its own rather than after Eden Lake I think I'd have got more out of it.
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
i-went-to-frightfest
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by i-went-to-frightfest »

i enjoyed this...though i can understand why it was probably taken out of the festival with its 'bad kids' theme and comparisons with eden lake but at the same time i felt it was different in that eden lakes kids were bad and these 1s werent they were just essentially acting out a game, although a game with very real consequences
Girl Serial Killer

Post by Girl Serial Killer »

I think it's far too simplistic to draw parallels between this and Eden Lake. Both have bad kids and woods in, so what? That really is where the similarity ends; these are very different films. And hoodies? Not these ones. Hoodie isn't a word to describe all bad kids, it refers to a very specific kind of kid, British at that. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, for the record, this one bored me not quite rigid but almost. There just wasn't enough in the story to warrant a feature length, I don't think.
arrangedletters
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by arrangedletters »

the use of the word hoodie iritates me somewhat. considering I have worn them for an age and I'm yet to mug any one... even after starting to wear them with the hood up on occassion, less to hide my face more to keep my ears warm.. but still no stabbings or beatings up.. I think i must be broken or something.
[img]http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/48648/1218304903/queenvicassshakemk2.gif[/img] My "trying to get a piece of short fiction published in People's Friend magazine" Blog!! www.arrangedletters.blogspot.com
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

arrangedletters wrote:the use of the word hoodie iritates me somewhat. considering I have worn them for an age and I'm yet to mug any one... even after starting to wear them with the hood up on occassion, less to hide my face more to keep my ears warm.. but still no stabbings or beatings up.. I think i must be broken or something.
Odd. You appear to be getting your violent movies quota.. Perhaps you're not playing GTA enough.

Sorry, I was channeling the D*ily M*il for a second there.
Girl Serial Killer

Post by Girl Serial Killer »

arrangedletters wrote:the use of the word hoodie iritates me somewhat. considering I have worn them for an age and I'm yet to mug any one... even after starting to wear them with the hood up on occassion, less to hide my face more to keep my ears warm.. but still no stabbings or beatings up.. I think i must be broken or something.
Ha, yeah, me too. They're comfy!