Trailer Park of Terror

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Trailer Park of Terror

Post by jonbly »

Really well done... good makeup and effects, and the rockin' zombie was a particular hit.

But it still suffers from the same problem as 2001 Maniacs... it's just killing a string of unlikeable twats who are better off dead. At least this time we had a Survivor Girl to hang our sympathies on.
kaiju
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

trailer park

Post by kaiju »

Another film i wasn't expecting much from.Turned out to be great fun.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Great fun.

I have read those 13 comics (and have friends who worked on some) but that did not prepare me for such a romp.

The Rob Zombie comments are obvious but I think Steven Goldman avoided the self-indulgence and brought The Rock (the musical cultural thing not that wrestler).

Hope the "franchise" continues with aplomb.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Dom »

Great fun. Really neat stuff that looked great too. The designs for the zombies were tremendous.

It also helps that Steven Goldman is a top bloke too.
Fenriz
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Fenriz »

omg, I loved this! Redneck hillbilly zombie genius!!! It hadn't really stood out to me on the line up, so I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out to be one of the best of festival, just so much fun!

Then scene where the guitarist zombie gets blown to pieces on a mine and then finds his manhood lying next to him was probably the funniest moment all weekend.

9/10
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

A good laugh and at least kept me entertained.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Really good fun. The second 'guitar scene' went on a bit long for me and felt a little like a rock video in the middle of a film but otherwise I loved it.

Thought the lead actress was great.
Stark
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Stark »

Completely taken by surprise by this one... probably one of my favourite moments!

Not had that much fun watching a movie in a long time. Rockabilly Zombies running rampant. Oh what glorious madness.

Can agree on the lack of likeable victims, but thinking that, much like in Tales From the Crypt etc, you're meant to dislike them to make the Monsters (who were the real stars of the show after all) all the more charming.

Can't wait to get this one on DVD to watch it again.
They're coming for you Barbara...
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I know a lot of people liked it, but this one really didn't work for me at all. The opening scenes were promising, but once the busload of "troubled kids" appeared (yaaawwwnnnn....) it all went wrong.

Steven Goldmann did seem a good chap, but I think he messed everything up. He went on about being inspired by the old Universal movies and making the monsters the heroes, but none of them were memorable. And the kids were - as so very often - one-dimensional twats and impossible to care about. Nothing was quite right - the music was (IMO) crap, the comedy bits weren't funny, the scary/gory bits were totally mistimed/botched so they had no impact.

And he totally cocked up the two potentially dramatic moments - the death of the "nice" kid was so abrupt if you blinked you'd miss it. And the bit where the cocky kid was given the chance to save himself if he killed his girlfriend - that could have had real impact, but instead it was buried under a stupid song and some ham-fisted editing. Not good.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I was really dreading this one, and was pleasantly surprised though to be honest it's no classic; like an increasing number of movies it's riffing on very familiar themes, the most obvious one being teens getting specacularly killed. Which is fine by me - when they deliver, and I think overall they did here.

Why didn't I dislike the teens as much as everyone else seemed to?
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Loved the whole music aspect of this, really brought it to life and made it really fun! :D
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

streetrw wrote:Why didn't I dislike the teens as much as everyone else seemed to?
Maybe you dislike all teens equally? :wink:

I've never really bought into the notion that you should make the characters obnoxious so it's fun to see them killed (although it can work occasionally). It just makes the film as a whole irritating. Dance Of The Dead, for example, demonstrates that if the characters are likeable* then you actually care when they get killed.

(* and played by competent actors, but that may be a separate issue)
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

I found the teens worked well in the context of caricatures, only their pastor caved in too easily.

On the continuum of "hate them and look forward to them dying" to "liked them and the tension of the film is will they survive" this was nicely in the middle.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Girl Serial Killer

Post by Girl Serial Killer »

I loved this, thought it was a great romp. One of my mates writes for the comic it's based on so I might actually bother checking it out now.
Khouri
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Khouri »

Really enjoyed this and it made me laugh. The music was pretty awesome too. One of the best of the weekend methinks.