Bubbas Chili Parlor

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
Fenriz
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Fenriz »

yay
Last edited by Fenriz on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psychobilly
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by psychobilly »

Well Fenriz, I hadnt gotten round to posting, i noticed it being attacked, and thought that wasnt bad for a micro budget short, honest opinion, iwasnt going to post about it as dont strongly dislike ,dont strongly like. i really think that we should support or at least give some constructive criticism to low budgeters, part of FF is to show new talent too not just million pound movies.
so your "ah that was shite, why was it on saturday night" critique makes us all look bad.

not really right.
Fenriz
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Fenriz »

psychobilly wrote:Well Fenriz, I hadnt gotten round to posting, i noticed it being attacked, and thought that wasnt bad for a micro budget short, honest opinion, iwasnt going to post about it as dont strongly dislike ,dont strongly like. i really think that we should support or at least give some constructive criticism to low budgeters, part of FF is to show new talent too not just million pound movies.
so your "ah that was shite, why was it on saturday night" critique makes us all look bad.

not really right.
Well that wasn't what I said, so it's "not really right" to come out with vulgar quotes that I didn't actually say is it?

My point was, that the Saturday evening slot is the prime slot of the festival and the one most likely to be sold out, so I was expecting that slot to be occupied by one of the big movies that would showcase the festival. I know the festival tries to support films of all budgets, and I'm all for that, but I would have expected that slot to be for one of the main films.

Plus what I said was not particular bad, and there have been much much worse things said about the film by other people in this thread, so please don't try and use me as a scapegoat.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Thing is, Fenriz, that's not even what happened after Joey Evans posted. My own comment doesn't mention any negatives not least because they'd been mentioned already and I chose to support the film being shown and mention something I liked (as did some of those involved in slaughtering it). Then a couple of people are positive and a few people balance their postives with the negatives.
And then you come along.

All of which means that while your comments about the film are beyond reproach, your comment about people posting after the director are wrong and most of all unnecessary.

"Naive" or "smugly dismissive"? I'll take the former.

Sorry for being a half full kind of guy,
if you want to top up your empty glass to half empty let me know.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Fenriz
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Fenriz »

Well I did notice a change in tone in the later posts, and that comment was meant tongue in cheek, it wasn't meant to cause offence, so sorry if it did. As for supporting the film, well I did add it as a friend on myspace before the festival, so I've supported it myself. What gets on my nerves is psychobilly taking an inoffensive point that i made and then trying to twist it into something it's not.

But anyway, can we get back to talking about the film as that what's this threads about isn't it? :roll:

i did kinda like the head on the toilet by the way, I wish it would've talked though.
Last edited by Fenriz on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
psychobilly
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by psychobilly »

I wished the head talked too, ps you did say it was "appalingly awful". 'strong' negative words is all can be quite hurtful im sure, not just aimed at you but all future posters :) of course i respect your views are different from mine
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Should be safe now to post some positive comments :lol:

I loved this movie for what it was. A cheapy shot with heart and with a fair bit going on in between the lines.

The characters are largely different to the usual stereotypes we see concerning the South.

Sure Ashelys mum was pure Trailer Park Tramp but overall characters were not portrayed as ignorant, racist hicks as is normal. Bubba himself was a sage like mix of the modern man in touch with his feelings and the tough arsed butt kicker. His relationship with Ashley was natural feeling.

And yes she owned the movie in the acting stakes. I hope this little actress goes on to bigger and yes much better roles/movies.

Not being familiar with Lord of the Flies i still appreciated the attempt to work something to think about into proceedings. Whether its meant to hint that the whole plague was intentionally started by the government im not sure.

We get the two gun toting slackers feeling like a southern twist on the 90s slacker duo staple (admitedly without anything approaching the same witty dialogue- but much fun was had due to them).

There is much comedy in the film too. Im not blind to the films faults. And can fully appreciate people not liking it- though i think some people need to get over it and let it go. Yes the ending dragged a little, yes the ad breaks and film breaks were grating but then i guess they were to people watching movies in drive ins.

And it occupied the 7pm slot purely because thats Zone Horrors slot and they chose the film. Compared to the majority of their output this is a minor classic.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

good on ya kevin

the film has a lot of HEART - i do have misgivings about how the film was intro'd (or not) by ian and i think that would have helped.

after the many many mean spirited films i sat through in the submissions process - and i love a bit o mean spirit as much as the next guy - this was a charming slice of ultra low budget fun - i even sat and watched it twice in a row straight through.

also - its a huge FUCK YOU to anyone who ever accuses us of selling out - probably the lowest budget 6.30 on a saturday film ever at the odeon - at least we have balls.

and ok - i understand if you hated it but you had phil's guide - walk out or you have 27 other choices to choose from!