Bubbas Chili Parlor

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Hello Doris! wrote:it wasn't the best but not the worst. I can see what they were trying to do, but budget issues held them back. Also really nice people and I hope the next one they make is better.
What was the worst :shock:
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

FreakDog but I am getting told of for thinking that!
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Hello Doris! wrote:FreakDog but I am getting told of for thinking that!
Sorry, shouldn't have asked :oops:
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

its alright, I still think its shit no matter what the writer thinks. Silly Sod!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

One of my pet phrases is "I'd rather take my eye out with a cake fork than watch that again". Well, if I'd had a cake fork in the Odeon while this was on, I wouldn't be typing now.

Seriously, this was bloody atrocious. It's only the fact that I was in the middle of a row that stopped me walking out - which I've never done in 24 years of cinemagoing, even during Adam Mason films, Troma films, AUSTIN POWERS 2 and (insert PG-13 remake here). And I refuse, absolutely refuse, to believe REPO: THE GENETIC OPERA was not good enough to make the cut when this one got through (hell, you showed Guy Maddin's Dracula picture!). And ROGUE - I know Alan Jones said it didn't qualify because it was "already available on DVD in too many territories", but it isn't out here and he does say that it "really does deserve to be seen on the big screen" (quotes from his blog on 20th July). I'd far rather have seen either of those films. I'd rather have seen AUSTIN POWERS 2 again. Twice.

One of the problems is that this is referencing something that the UK is not that familiar with - the Drive-In. To a certain extent it's the same with Grindhouse, but those are just plain better films. The scratched film thing got annoying fairly quickly in Death Proof and it's really irritating here; it's particularly silly on something that is obviously not even shot on film in the first place - I don't know whether Grindhouse was shot on film or HD but at least it looks like film. And QT didn't break up the "action" with ad breaks. It's just terrible and I've no idea why it was there.

I'm not accepting budget limitations as an excuse for bad films either - The Evil Dead, Night Of The Living Dead and a dozen other low-budget classics managed. If you can't afford to make a zombie movie, then you don't make one. You make something else or you gather more money together. What you can't do is make a bad movie and then plead a special case for it because you only had $250 and change.
Last edited by streetrw on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Time... I will never get back!!!

Zone Horror took an hour of my life... can I sue? Left after the first 60 mins... :lol:
Khouri
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Khouri »

I actually liked this and think that it achieved what it set out to do. The idea for the story was quite funky and I liked the subtitled bit at the beginning when Bubba was being sold the beef. It made me laugh, as did the intermission bits.
In all fairness, it was written and directed by Joey Evans and cost him under £6,000 to make. I can’t imagine that I could actually achieve writing and producing a film for that budget.
Yes there were some pretty bad bits, but there were other films at Frightfest that were worse that had a bigger budget (and had paid actors). I think this was pretty good for a low budget film, made by someone that really enjoys the horror genre.
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

I cant exactly remember what the guy from Trailer Park of Terror said about this movie (it hink it was something about it being more gory and fucked up that TPOT), but it made me think Fuck Yeh! Im looking forward to it now.....................however, it was so unbelievably bad I think I spent the entire movie biting all my nails off.
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Bubba's Chili Parlor

Post by Stephen with ph »

Every year, I overhear other Frightfesters talking loudly about how bad a film was, how they would have done it differently, how much better their movie would have been...

For my part, I have nothing but respect for anyone who decides to put their money where their mouth is, who is prepared to take a chance on something they love, who will actually go out and create something. That's a kind of courage and determination I find it hard to imagine. Wouldn't we all be better people if we could take such risks, make a statement and be prepared to stand up in front of our peers?

Having said that, Bubba's Chili Parlor was shite.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Considering the budget this was ok although it seemed to drag on towards the end - would be better if they chopped the running time by say 20 minutes!
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: bubba sh*tty parlour

Post by maxmum »

kaiju wrote:I walked out,inever walk out of movies,went shopping...nuff said
Same here. Even I have standards.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

streetrw wrote:One of my pet phrases is "I'd rather take my eye out with a cake fork than watch that again".
:lol: :lol:
Stephen with ph wrote:
Having said that, Bubba's Chili Parlor was shite.
:lol: :lol:
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
valido
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by valido »

I never walk out of movies, so I desperately tried to sleep instead... but couldn't :(

Can't believe how this made the selection. I'm all for passionate independent filmakers with no budget, but still prefer to laugh all my way out of something like Mirrors than having to watch this again.
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

I too dozed throught his one...although the beep beeping kept waking me.

Hats off to the guys, their passion was obvious.

Apart from that....PLEASE WARN US NEXT TIME!
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

valido wrote:Can't believe how this made the selection.
Thinking about this, I'm guessing it may have been part of the Zone Horror sponsorship deal.