The Midnight Meat Train

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Neener Neener Neener I got the last one :wink:
valido
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by valido »

I generally can't stand characters who decide that the smartest thing to do in life is to stalk and piss off a serial killer who looks like Vinnie Jones. And here we have the photographer (ok, he was kind of motivated) and even his girlfriend (definitely less motivated). But here we have Kitamura more restrained than I thought he would be, and lots of great gore scenes, so I had fun enough to give it 7 out of 10.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Satans Puppy wrote:Neener Neener Neener I got the last one :wink:
The book shop next to the pheonix club had them both :)

I spent about £60 on books yesterday :oops:
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

Seems the consensus was the same.

Fun, slightly annoying, nicely brutal, impressively grown from the short story, let down of an ending.

Looked great.

Go Vinnie.
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
Tragedygirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Tragedygirl »

ahh ... I should have looked here first ... here are all the other reviews lol!!

The whole point of the photographer following him was to get real shots of the underbelly of the city ... so you can forgive him in away for being stupid at following a weird guy the size of vinnie Jones :wink:

Thought Brooke shields was very pointless in this, might as well have been any other actress really!

As I said before, really liked it ... good bit of gore with the help of his HUGE butchers tools!!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Oi! I really liked the appearance of Brooke... yeah it coulda been anyone else but that's SUDDENLY SUSAN that is!!! :lol:
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Great film but agree with the comments about the rushed ending. I do want to see it again to understand the ending.

Some great gore moments. Eye popping fun. Vinnie Jones was excellent. A very much menacing character of no words.

Really pleased we had a chance to see it here, where in America it got buried. At last to see Clive Barker's stories on the big screen.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Count Drunkula
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Count Drunkula »

Tragedygirl wrote:ahh ... I should have looked here first ... here are all the other reviews lol!!

The whole point of the photographer following him was to get real shots of the underbelly of the city ... so you can forgive him in away for being stupid at following a weird guy the size of vinnie Jones :wink:

Thought Brooke shields was very pointless in this, might as well have been any other actress really!

As I said before, really liked it ... good bit of gore with the help of his HUGE butchers tools!!
Ah, but had she not been in it we may have missed out on this fantastically cheesy exchange of dialogue. Forgive me if I get it slightly wrong..

Leon shows Brooke his photos
Brooke : Wow!
Leon smirks
Brooke : What?
Leon : Nothing, it's just you don't look like the type of person to say wow.
Brooke : I don't. Not since I was eighteen.
Frylock: You know what tonight is?
Carl: Yeah the night I'm downloading p[i]o[/i]rn at 14 kilobytes a second!
Carl: Ha! I'm just kidding. I got a cable modem back here.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Adored it - admittedly kinda pre-biased as love Barker's work - but thought it came together really well. Great score (got the last copy from HMV Oxford Street yesterday), showing Barker's trademarks as well as keeping Kitamura's style, Vinnie Jones spot-on as Mahogany, Brooke Shields actually having hair to match her eyebrows for once... :wink:

When I first heard about the movie I had a conversation with a friend (also a big Barker fan) about how we thought they should expand the short story in an ideal world - and everything we said wound up in the film. How could I ever hope for more? :)
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I was surprised at just how good this film was... sure it had its flaws, but I was totally carried along for the ride. The kills were brutal (and I felt sorry for Steve and Simon who decided to take a toilet break just before Ted Raimi's short appearance - best kill of the festival) and I really liked Kitamura's swirling camera shots. I'd have liked more hints of the weird underworld earlier, but that aside - my favourite of the day.
First things first, stay calm.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

was i the only person who was like "huh?" at the ending?

i had to ask a load of people if that was how it was meant to end. It hurted my brain :?
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

I enjoyed this, it didn't feel too long and I liked the 'feel' of it.

Like jonbly said, I would have liked some explanation of Vinnie Jones' skin complaint and why he was keeping all those warts in jars.

I also got a bit exasperated with his girlfriend and best friend snooping round the guy's hotel room - can't believe they were so stupid!
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
psychobilly
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by psychobilly »

Cant believe people saying this had a let down of an ending, the ending made this movie good!! better than just a serial killer bore! I loved this movie goddamit
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Totally good fun, a great Saturday night movie

The sparseness of it was the best part. The cold metallic greys of the subway broken up with only the deep red colour of flowing blood.

This was one of my favourite films