Martyrs

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

Over hyped, Also I didnt see people walk out so I really doubt people were throwing up outside
Fenriz
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Fenriz »

The Aylmer wrote: Still, what do I know? My favourite film of the festival was Bad Biology :P
The only film I didn't see! Oh well....

Anyway, Martyrs - it'd been hyped up as mega disturbing and extreme, and although it was a very intense film, I didn't think it was the most disturbing, Mum & Dad was definitely more disturbing than this for me.

But anyway, regardless of how disturbing it was or wasn't, I thought this was a powerful and intense experience, but not a great film really. It basically WAS torture p0rn - the principle isn't that far removed from Hostel really, in Hostel people people pay to torture and murder people, in this film people torture and murder people to allow them to achieve "martyrdom"...yes it's more artistic, but it's a very similar principle.

I really didn't like the scene where Anna was whispering to the woman in the hat, we didn't find out exactly what she was saying, but it gave the impression that Anna had found some euphoric release as a result of being endlessly beaten then skinned alive. Don't like that.

It's made a lasting impression on me and I'll remember it for a long time, but I certainly won't go around recommending it. For me it was an extreme artistic statement that never really worked.

not sure/10

PS - did anyone else think that when Anna was skinned everywhere apart from her face, that she looked scarily similar to the robot from I Robot??
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

The best film of the festival for me - it had everything - gore, violence, torture, the pace was good and so was the story - what can the French make next to top this?
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Fenriz wrote:I really didn't like the scene where Anna was whispering to the woman in the hat, we didn't find out exactly what she was saying, but it gave the impression that Anna had found some euphoric release as a result of being endlessly beaten then skinned alive. Don't like that.
jonbly would have just repeated the phrase "I know something you don't, nyah nyah nyah nyah nyaaaah nyaaaah" in a creepy singsong, over and over again...
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Fenriz wrote: I really didn't like the scene where Anna was whispering to the woman in the hat, we didn't find out exactly what she was saying, but it gave the impression that Anna had found some euphoric release as a result of being endlessly beaten then skinned alive. Don't like that.
Isn't that the point though? We're not meant to know... we're not supposed to peer beyond our reality yatta yatta yatta... to know the secret would send you all doo lally and what not.... :D
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

A film of 2 halves, loved the first half, second half was a bit tedious.

The repeated beatings of the girl got a bit, dare I say...dull? The beating in True Romance had a bigger effect on me.

I did love the performance of the girl in the first half who was taking her revenge, and the way her schizophrenia was represented on screen was superb, with the decrepid monster woman doing her self harm. Really liked that stuff. But on the whole wasn't a fave of the weekend for me. OK.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

JoeyBroChill wrote:I

Oh and I dont care if he is on the forum but... 'Do you think this is an important film or just gory?' - There are no stupid questions just stupid people, no wait take that back, that was a bloody stupid question!
Oh yeah, and the director sayng he hates the movie... wtf is that all about? Bit insulting to the members of the audience who did like it.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

Poor guy, somebody hug him!

Great start, impactful and paced.

Horrific and grisly...then it got overlong and degenerated in tone to a more basic Hostel type grind.

Intriguing premise too but never really explored.

Vacuous but impressive would be my best description.
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

maxmum wrote:Oh yeah, and the director sayng he hates the movie... wtf is that all about? Bit insulting to the members of the audience who did like it.
Not at all. To me, wasn't saying he now thinks it's a bad movie.

More like it was a movie he needed to make, and now it's out of his system, he can't bare to rewatch it for the 1000th time.

I had more of a problem with the writer of "Let The Right One In" saying you were "evil" if you didn't like the movie. I know he did not mean that literally... but are you a bad person for having an opinion? :)

Charlie Brooker did the same thing by fessing up on his project - "actually it's shit" - before the leaving the stage... but with Charlie we all knew he was joking!

So maybe they were all "joking" - and it's just harder with the first two to understand the humour :wink:
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

This was ok, but the second half got a bit tedious. I don't understand all the fuss about it though - Irreversible made a much bigger impact on me.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

sherbetbizarre wrote:
I had more of a problem with the writer of "Let The Right One In" saying you were "evil" if you didn't like the movie. I know he did not mean that literally... but are you a bad person for having an opinion? :)
yeah.... that makes me evil! I am not, I am a fluffy kitten lover.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
valido
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by valido »

I just think the hype pointed in the wrong direction. I absolutely loved the twists, and I obviously loved the extreme gore - definitely not gratuitous. "Inside" was gratuitous (and awesome), but not this one.
When they remove her skin I kind of thought "F**k, does this mean we don't get the big revenge showdown?", so the ending was a bit anticlimatic for me, but on second thought it was the most reasonable one. It revealed the not exploitative intentions behind the whole project.
Not the most unsettling movie I've ever seen, and not a masterpiece, but certainly 10 times better than Irreversible and don't make me even start about Hostel :wink:
dhrupick
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by dhrupick »

EvilAsh wrote:Over hyped, Also I didnt see people walk out so I really doubt people were throwing up outside
i went to the toilet and saw three people running past me about to be sick
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I did say afterwards I didn't notice any sick piles on the street... but oh yeah the toilets would have been nearer.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

dhrupick wrote:
EvilAsh wrote:Over hyped, Also I didnt see people walk out so I really doubt people were throwing up outside
i went to the toilet and saw three people running past me about to be sick
.............and only witnessed by a 1 post person ;)