Let The Right One In

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Oh I agree, the ambiguity was the beauty of that particular line.

For a minute I thought I had misremembered one of my favourite anecdotes of the weekend !
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Half way through the book and its brilliant. It explains some more about the characters and background, but still the film sits nicely with it. His next book is out 4 september according to Zavvi (but that could be wrong!) and is called Handling the Undead -

Synopsis
Something very peculiar is happening in Stockholm. There's a heatwave on and people cannot turn their lights out or switch their appliances off. Then the terrible news breaks. In the city morgue, the dead are waking up...What do they want? What everybody wants: to come home. "Handling the Undead" is a story about our greatest fear and about a love that defies death. Following his success with "Let the Right One In", this novel too has been a bestseller in his native Sweden.

Already pre-ordered
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

That sounds a lot like this.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
PhilBez
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by PhilBez »

Ah I loved this. It was the surprise of the festival for me as I had no inkling of what to expect before hand. Fair play to the writer of course but the director needs to be given his due - he coaxed wonderful performances from the two children and the rescue in the swimming pool in particular was realised superbly. To have seen Eli leap through the window and wreak havoc would have been hokey and out of step with the rest of the film but when you heard the glass break from under the water followed by the kicking legs...the head...the arm...well, I thought it was exceptional. Not only one of my favourite vampire films but now one of my favourite films of recent years.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Let me tell you a story....

On Saturday when I went to watch MMT and TGP I had overdone my bit for the Russian economy so to speak. Or overdid it on the vodka....

So come Sunday morning I get up, go have my breakfast and then watch From Within. Feeling like sh*t I consider watching that film, going back to the hotel, having a couple of hours sleep and then starting again with The Broken.

However I decided to stick it out, when you have the hangover from hell you can only start to feel better as there and then you are already at rock bottom...

What I saw in Let The Right One In was a wonderful film, something so good I still recollect it now, something so good I now own the book and enjoy reading it to get a bigger picture of what the film is about.

The one film I was going to miss was the best one that I saw, the development of the friendship between oskar and eli and how eli protects oskar in the end.

Totally brilliant movie, one that touches you an leaves a lasting memory.
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

I thought this was an amazing film, best of the festival for me (although difficult to compare to other ones I really enjoyed, like Dance of the Dead and Autopsy). I love the feel of a lot of Scandinavian films and it really hit an emotional chord with me.

Definitely agree about the similarities in tone to 'My Life as a Dog'.
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?