The Broken

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
Tragedygirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Tragedygirl »

The first of the 2 mirror themed films and my opinion the worst. Invasion of the Mirror reflections sums this up, but i didnt really see the point of the dopplegangers coming through to just resume the life of the other "you"

Quite a slow paced film too, it did have a few sinister moments but few and far between.

I quite liked the idea that it turned out to be the dopplegangers veiw point throught out the film we were experiancing due to memory loose, but i think most of us had sussed that out pretty early on.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I pretty much agree with the comments on this one... I kept waiting for the action to kick in but it never did. Not awful but was obvious what was happening (I thought) and didn't really seem to have any reason or menace to it, the whole exercise felt cold and detached. Quite nicely directed though but just not engaging enough - and I agree, just how many times did they repeat that damn car crash?
First things first, stay calm.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: SHORT FILM PLAGIARISM AND LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE !!

Post by odishon »

BabyJaneHudson wrote:
Also the short film they showed before is almost identical to a short film I saw years ago as a child. In the good old days they would usually show a short film before the main feature. If you are in my age range (37) you'll remember. Im talking late 70's early 80's. It was a short film called "Don't Panic". The lady on stage did not mention this original film as far as I can remember, which is pretty out of order seeing as it was totally plagiarised and nicked to make the short film we saw on Sunday. At least make a mention of "Don't Panic" if you going to use someone elses stuff like that.
I said exactly the same thing to a friend. I remembered 'Panic' while watching the short and thought it was indeed a complete rip off! I was 8 in 1978 when 'Panic' was the pre feature short before I can't remember what film.

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0844746/
grzegorz
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by grzegorz »

not that it really matters, but does anyone can point me to the source that the Poe's quote in the beginning of the film was taken from?

besides all sillyness and strong deja vu effect i kinda liked it. well shot, slow but well acted - have seen much worse films in my life :)
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: SHORT FILM PLAGIARISM AND LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE !!

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

[/quote]

I said exactly the same thing to a friend. I remembered 'Panic' while watching the short and thought it was indeed a complete rip off! I was 8 in 1978 when 'Panic' was the pre feature short before I can't remember what film.

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0844746/[/quote]

Glad someone else noticed this too. You've got a better memory than I have even though we are born in the same year. My brain cells must be dying off more quickly than yours lol. Didn't the director think anyone would remember? Bizarre.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Interesting story but very slow paced. Some elements of it did remind me of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Few jumps scattered around but did not really get going. You would think the car crash should be from her viewpoint. With the amount of times it kept coming up in her flashback..
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

I didnt think it was that bad at all - have a predisposition towards headf&*^ films and have several friends who are terrified of mirrors, so great material at least!

Admittedly that was the most times I've seen a car crash repeated that didn't involve Jeremy Clarkson hitting his head (maybe he was the taxi driver) and the ending was screamingly obvious from very early on, but there was a decent atmosphere and it was shot nicely...

Doubt anyone else will remember, but the tone reminded me of a freaky mid-90s game featuring art by HR Giger called Darkseed...
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
Toria101
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Toria101 »

Hi guys. Long time lurker (since 2005!), first time poster - as they say....

Can't work out how to quote messages, but in reply to grzegorz question the Poe quote is from William Wilson. Great story (one of Poe' best I think). You can read the whole thing here - http://www.online-literature.com/poe/47/.

The quote's a big fat spoiler though!
grzegorz
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by grzegorz »

Toria101 wrote:Can't work out how to quote messages
if quoting whole message, just click "quote" button at the top right corner of post you want to quote.

if only part of the text it is like that [ quote = " nickname " ] text [ / quote ] - just remove all the spaces in the bbq tags.

the Poe quote is from William Wilson. Great story (one of Poe' best I think). You can read the whole thing here - http://www.online-literature.com/poe/47/.
thanks a bunch - gonna read it tonight! cheers!
Toria101
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Toria101 »

grzegorz wrote:
if only part of the text it is like that [ quote = " nickname " ] text [ / quote ] - just remove all the spaces in the bbq tags.
Thanks - I think I've made that work! Hope you enjoy the Poe.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Ok - it was alright. I would not rave about it or say it's a great film but it's watchable but that's as far as it goes

There was just too much going on and I did not fully "get" what was happenning either
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

I was really disappointed with this one, it sounded good on paper but was pretty dull.

Good point from lupogirl about the flashback - that didn't even strike me about it being from a different viewpoint.

Can't remember who said it before, but it struck me as well that there was no mention of what happened to the cab driver...even if she hadn't asked, you'd think someone might have mentioned it in passing if nothing else.

I think I watched Six Feet Under too recently to separate her dad from being Nathaniel - I kept expecting him to make some wisecrack or something.
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: The Broken

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on amazon prime
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey