Mirrors

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

I think Alan Jones will be absolutely disgusted at how much fun we had with this rubbish. If you're reading the forums today Alan, well first shouldn't you go to bed now, but secondly sorry.

They should do a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 episode on this movie.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

The Soapmaker wrote:...a silly Sadako/Samara character.
Um... what? There were some screaming fire victims... is that what you mean?
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

MaxRenn wrote: They should do a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 episode on this movie.
YES!

In a related note, the team behind MST3K are back, with a new project: Cinematic Titanic
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

jonbly wrote:
The Soapmaker wrote:...a silly Sadako/Samara character.
Um... what? There were some screaming fire victims... is that what you mean?
The gibbering, arm-flapping oh-so-very-evil 12 year old Anna Esseker character. OK, so she didn't crawl out of a TV set.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I did enjoy this. If they'd tightened up the dialogue and steered Keifer away from being Jack Bauer (I'm positive there's a point very early on where he's looking in his bathroom mirror and he actually says something along the lines of "come on, Jack, pull yourself together") it would have been great. And I would have preferred it if they'd stuck to the department store as in the original, rather than all the extraneous new stuff. But, there's a big loud score by Javier Navarette (who did Pan's Labyrinth) and it's big and stylish enough to forgive the occasional silly moment in the script. Plus the two big nasty horror moments - the opening neck slicing and Amy Smart's jaw - are surprisingly graphic and grisly.
Fenriz
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Fenriz »

oh god, what can you say?????

Someone posted a link to the trailor here a while ago and it actually looked quite good, then I looked it up on rottentomatoes and saw the critics slaughtering it so I had my doubts....but even I was never expecting anything as hilariously bad as this!!!!

Some of the most laughable dialogue in any film ever....the worst one has gotta be though "I should have believed you" - yes, WHY did you not believe the mirrors where possessed by demons??!!! "the water creates reflections" line was also unforgettable too.

I'm not sure which scene was quite the funniest, but I think it could be Jack Bauer running around his house painting the mirrors green....either that or him gunning down a mirror in his front garden and then being devasted that its not magically healing itself.

A quite priceless ending too - OMG I'M IN THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MIRROR AND ALL THE WRITING HERE IS BACKWARDS!!!!!

Seeing as it's almost impossible not to enjoy a film when it's that bad I'll give it a charitable 4/10
Last edited by Fenriz on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

hahahaha..yeah
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

I really liked the opening titles and music to this......and then things started happening and people started talking and it all went so so wrong.

Forcing a nun to leave her abbey at gunpoint is soooo Bauer. :lol:
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Fenriz wrote:A quite priceless ending too - OMG I'M IN THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MIRROR AND ALL THE WRITING HERE IS BACKWARDS!!!!!
INTO THE MIRROR (Korean original) SPOILER SPOILER

Which is straight from the Korean original.

It worked for me....
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

This played well and was good fun although I think audience participation helped a lot!
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

:lol: :lol:

Poor Keifer, he just can't get away from Jack now ever I don't think!
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
valido
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by valido »

rickjames wrote:Horrendous expositionary dialogue
Straight from scene 1.
"By the way, weren't you a detective? What happened? Sorry I'm just curious" f**k off please... :?

Jack Bauer is the new Nicolas Cage.
Tragedygirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Tragedygirl »

Now look ... I like 24 and am a fan of Kiefer (Lost Boys fan girl) and not ONCE did I think through this film its Jack Bauer!! When the right side of the cinema started wetting themselves with laughter during the last 30 mins I was honestly starting to wonder what film you were all watching!!

Ok, so this film wasnt great ... and yes had a few plot holes, but bloody hell people sit back and be entertained OR dont watch it if you think its that crap!! I was really starting to get annoyed with the laughing as I was actually enjoying the film in my own way and thought that amount of laughing was way OTT!!

I suspect you will all lynch me for this as I must be the only person who found bits scary (the first half of the film anyway) Er hello ... how can having your face/jaw ripped apart not be gnarly?? For me that was one of the best gore "argggg" scenes of the weekend!! Once the plot unfolded and Essiker was unveiled it was quite run of the mill, but i really dont feel it was the laughing stock of a film it is being made out to be!!

Is every film now that Kiefer appears in with a gun going to make you all laugh out load saying "Oh look is Jack Bauer"??

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant ... but please!!!
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

My jaw almost dropped off during this film.
So that scene was quite appropriate.

Was it Paul who said we were getting the R rated version ?
Oh dearie me, the cinema release is going to tank.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

It is unfortunate that Aja has been completley taken over by Hollywood on this one, but all the same i did really enjoy it.
Thought it was turning into Indiana Jones right at the end and would have disowned it till it became obvious he was no longer alive then it redeemed itself for me.
So it was okay.