Mirrors

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

AdeBrown wrote:Was it Paul who said we were getting the R rated version ?
Oh dearie me, the cinema release is going to tank.
I think he said that the Fest was showing the full unrated version. Whether that's the one being released to cinemas or not is another matter. The BBFC haven't classified it yet.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

richard is correct we screened the COMPLETE unrated edition of the film not the cut US r rated version.
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

MIRROR PERVERTS

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Looking back on my life, I have tried to remember when I consciously went out to buy a mirror. I did buy one once in a pound shop in Hounslow as I needed one, but didn't give a hoot about what it looked like as the purchase was born out of necessity rather than a serious furnishing purchase. I have a total of 2 mirrors in my home at the moment. They are both crap. I do plan on buying a fancy one in the future.

The Bauer family are obviously a bunch of mirror perverts.

I also think that Mr Bauer should have pistol whipped the nun after shouting "DON'T MAKE ME THREATEN YOU" as I don't think he was forceful enough.

All in all, it was watchable cobblers.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Team Banzai wrote:richard is correct we screened the COMPLETE unrated edition of the film not the cut US r rated version.
My misunderstanding the rating system.
That's what I meant though.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
dhrupick
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by dhrupick »

Tragedygirl wrote:Now look ... I like 24 and am a fan of Kiefer (Lost Boys fan girl) and not ONCE did I think through this film its Jack Bauer!! When the right side of the cinema started wetting themselves with laughter during the last 30 mins I was honestly starting to wonder what film you were all watching!!

Ok, so this film wasnt great ... and yes had a few plot holes, but bloody hell people sit back and be entertained OR dont watch it if you think its that crap!! I was really starting to get annoyed with the laughing as I was actually enjoying the film in my own way and thought that amount of laughing was way OTT!!

I suspect you will all lynch me for this as I must be the only person who found bits scary (the first half of the film anyway) Er hello ... how can having your face/jaw ripped apart not be gnarly?? For me that was one of the best gore "argggg" scenes of the weekend!! Once the plot unfolded and Essiker was unveiled it was quite run of the mill, but i really dont feel it was the laughing stock of a film it is being made out to be!!

Is every film now that Kiefer appears in with a gun going to make you all laugh out load saying "Oh look is Jack Bauer"??

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant ... but please!!!
my thoughts exactly, thank you for voicing them
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Well compare this with Dark City or The Vanishing USA which show that he is capable of the understated suspicion and paranoia that this story required. Instead he rushed around like he was in 24.

So yes my Jack Bauer comments stand.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

Also, it was impossible not to laugh. Some of the dialogue was hilarious.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Tragedygirl wrote:Ok, so this film wasnt great ... and yes had a few plot holes, but bloody hell people sit back and be entertained OR dont watch it if you think its that crap!! I was really starting to get annoyed with the laughing as I was actually enjoying the film in my own way and thought that amount of laughing was way OTT!!
We were being entertained... that's why were laughing.

I don't think anyone set out to laugh. We couldn't help it, because after a promising beginning the film turned out to be utter claptrap, overflowing with jaw-droppingly stupid scenes and ridiculous dialogue. Despite which, I maintain my right to continue watching, because I paid for a ticket, the same as you did.
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

The Soapmaker wrote:jaw-droppingly stupid scenes
Boom. Boom.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

dangerous_jamie wrote:
The Soapmaker wrote:jaw-droppingly stupid scenes
Boom. Boom.
Sorry 'bout that. :wink:
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Bears little or no resemblence to the original film (except he's a security guard, oh and the final scene) but was quite entertaining for the first half with some gory moments... then unintentionally entertaining for the second half as Keifer morphed into Jack Bauer and the dialogue got cheesier and cheesier... exactly the sort of film to appreciate with a FF audience... imagine the misery of sitting through this with your normal multiplex crowd. Shudder.
First things first, stay calm.
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

The original was weak but at least it didn't make me giggle like a girl on helium....

Thanks for the laughs though.

Nuff said...Alexandra, what have you done man?!
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

dangerous_jamie wrote:Also, it was impossible not to laugh. Some of the dialogue was hilarious.
Totally agree there. Sooo pleased to watch this with the FF crowd. You just can't beat a exploding nun!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
grzegorz
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by grzegorz »

i was laughing my arse off. it was like the crapiest 24 episode (say from season 6) combined withe the silliest x-files. and i thought, that Aja had some creative power in him, when he set out to do the remake.

absolutely dreadful stuff in terms of horror, but hilarious as a comedy. definitely so bad it's good 8)
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Yep, the first half was a promisingly effective gory horror then it seemed to click hang on, Keifer isn't allowed to play any character other than Jack Bauer anymore. He must spout dialogue so cheesily bad Nic Cage would refuse it, get randomly shouty to try and increase scene tension, and threaten old people/nuns with guns to get information and turned into pure comedy - only Jack Bauer can survive having a building fall on him!

I was literally waiting during the final scene pre-twist (watch out, all handprints you see on mirrors are really Jack Bauer trying to get out!) for someone to turn to him and say "Hey, you look like sh*t, have you seen yourself in a mirror?"

Suspect we shall see Into the Mirror remade far better in future as Steven Moffatt's next two-parter for Doctor Who - he's done statues and shadows, mirrors will be on the queue...
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."