Death Race

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
User avatar
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: London

Death Race

Post by MaxRenn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 am

I enjoyed this, as Alan Jones said it is EXACTLY the film you expect it to be. It's basically a violent version of Mario Kart. Probably Paul WS Anderson's second best film after Event Horizon. Pity he couldn't have got Sean Pertwee in there somewhere.

JoeyBroChill
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: London, England
Contact:

Post by JoeyBroChill » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:22 am

Totally agree...after a disappointing last day (excluding the shorts), this was exactly what I needed to boost my spirits and what better way than a buffed up Statham killing fellow inmates in a futuristic race to the death!

Great fun!
[b]I no longer know who I am...and I feel like the ghost of a complete stranger[/b] -- Victor, [i]The Rules of Attraction[/i]

[b]FUCK YOU LANDIS/GREEN![/b] -- [i]The Man, The Legend, The Myth[/i] Joe Lynch!

lone star
Walking Dead
Walking Dead
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:09 am
Location: Kent

Post by lone star » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:53 am

Big Dumb Fun!.......but tremendously enjoyable
:D

This was a lot like the recent Italian Job movie in that they are enjoyable films in their own right but nowhere near match the originals.

Just wondered, what the rating on this is to be at the multiplexes as there was quite a bit of bloody violence in it, surely not another 12A
live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse

User avatar
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: London

Post by MaxRenn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:01 pm

lone star wrote:Big Dumb Fun!.......but tremendously enjoyable
:D

This was a lot like the recent Italian Job movie in that they are enjoyable films in their own right but nowhere near match the originals.

Just wondered, what the rating on this is to be at the multiplexes as there was quite a bit of bloody violence in it, surely not another 12A
The BBFC have passed it 15, which is fair enough. Meat Train has got an 18 uncut BTW.

Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:52 pm
Location: Rainham, Essex

Post by Jekyll » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:57 pm

A great last film of the festival that was exactly what you though it might be.

Helped distract me from what was otherwise a very poor last day of the festival.

odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:16 am
Location: London

Post by odishon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:21 pm

Much more fun than I expected.

User avatar
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:50 am
Location: London

Post by The Soapmaker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:46 pm

It wasn't exactly what I expected - it was in fact surprisingly better.

Fair play to PWSA - he's a bullshitter who's been responsible for some terrible twaddle, but he's a much, much better action director than the likes of Michael Bay.

giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Post by giles edwards » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:14 pm

The Soapmaker wrote:but he's a much, much better action director than the likes of Michael Bay.
This is not true at all. Look at the freeway chase in The Island. The man know his way around action geography. I missed Death Race but the recently released red band clip semed to be a hodge-podge of badly edited, geographically inconherent noise. Impactful, I'm sure, but...sersiouly, watch The Island's freeway chase again.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]

User avatar
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: London

Post by MaxRenn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:19 pm

giles edwards wrote:
The Soapmaker wrote:but he's a much, much better action director than the likes of Michael Bay.
This is not true at all. Look at the freeway chase in The Island. The man know his way around action geography. I missed Death Race but the recently released red band clip semed to be a hodge-podge of badly edited, geographically inconherent noise. Impactful, I'm sure, but...sersiouly, watch The Island's freeway chase again.
But then there was Transformers Giles, I had no idea what was going on in that movie. Bay's best film is The Rock and Paul WS Anderson can dream of making a movie that good. I think Anderson's big problem is he is a terrible scriptwriter. The final scene in Death Race was terrible, and that voiceover from Statham? What was that about?

jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:16 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Death Race

Post by jonbly » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:22 pm

MaxRenn wrote:It's basically a violent version of Mario Kart.
Clearly you're not playing it right.

Yup, big dumb fun indeed... though the lack of bonus points for running over pedestrians was a disappointment.



.
Last edited by jonbly on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Post by giles edwards » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:26 pm

MaxRenn wrote:
giles edwards wrote:
The Soapmaker wrote:but he's a much, much better action director than the likes of Michael Bay.
This is not true at all. Look at the freeway chase in The Island. The man know his way around action geography. I missed Death Race but the recently released red band clip semed to be a hodge-podge of badly edited, geographically inconherent noise. Impactful, I'm sure, but...sersiouly, watch The Island's freeway chase again.
But then there was Transformers Giles, I had no idea what was going on in that movie. Bay's best film is The Rock and Paul WS Anderson can dream of making a movie that good. I think Anderson's big problem is he is a terrible scriptwriter. The final scene in Death Race was terrible, and that voiceover from Statham? What was that about?
Oh, sure. Transformers was a headache in physical form. But the man does have incredible visual panache and his action and when he's firing on creative as opposed to monetary cylinders it's extremely rewarding. His cultural rep doesn't help when discussing him though.

I've spoken to veteren cameramen (guys who've been DoP John Allcot's team on Kubrick productions) who have subsequenly worked with Bay and have nothing but praise for his cinematic smarts.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]

User avatar
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: London

Post by MaxRenn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:29 pm

giles edwards wrote:His cultural rep doesn't help when discussing him though.
The guys that run the Criterion Collection love him though, which is weird.

giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Post by giles edwards » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:32 pm

Until Schizopolis or Quai Des Orfevre is selling hundreds of thousands of copies, I guess the Criterion guys have got to eat. And Bay provides a hell of a meal ticket.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]

User avatar
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:50 am
Location: London

Post by The Soapmaker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:39 pm

giles edwards wrote:Oh, sure. Transformers was a headache in physical form. But the man does have incredible visual panache and his action and when he's firing on creative as opposed to monetary cylinders it's extremely rewarding. His cultural rep doesn't help when discussing him though.
A pocket guide to when he's "firing on creative as opposed to monetary cylinders" would be helpful. Which category does cretinous shit like Bad Boys II fall into? No offence, but for me it's absolutely nothing to do with his cultural rep, he just spends lots of money making very bad films (IMO).

I agree that The Rock and The Island are his best efforts (even if the latter is really just a ropey Logan's Run/Clonus Horror ripoff. Together with Michael Marshall Smith's excellent novel Spares). But Transformers has the most incoherent visuals I have ever seen - it's literally impossible to tell what's going on, ever. Was that not an artistic choice? Or was he just coked out of his head?

User avatar
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: London

Post by MaxRenn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:53 pm

giles edwards wrote:Until Schizopolis or Quai Des Orfevre is selling hundreds of thousands of copies, I guess the Criterion guys have got to eat. And Bay provides a hell of a meal ticket.
No actually I think they genuinely rate him, Criterion putting out Bay probably does them more harm than damage with their core audience which is people who buy Jean Renoir boxsets.

Post Reply