The Dead Outside

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

The Dead Outside

Post by odishon »

A bit slow for me and just too similar in it's premise to 28 days later.

The fact the 'zombies' were still alive did little to make it original.

Nice direction and cinematography though so hoping the young director goes on to make some great films.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

jonbly liked this one... the added tension from her immunity / his use of the vaccine gave everything a nicely paranoid edge.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

I wish them all the best with this, but can't help but feel some investment in reshoots and more editing in the second half would really help the film. The cross cutting of the characters back stories was confusing. Also the violence lacked weight, I'm not asking for a ramped up gorefest, but for instance the pivital moment when the girl is stabbed did not feel real to me.

However I appreciated the bleak tone.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Yes, here's proof that a low budget doesn't mean it's got to be poor. Okay, it's on the talky side, and none of the characters are ones you can much warm to, but in the main they've shot what they could afford rather than botch something out of reach of their resources and then make excuses for it. The action scenes towards the end aren't as good; I think it's difficult enough to light naturally on film, but to light a scene taking place in near darkness for digital is a lot trickier and they don't pull it off. Still, for a movie consisting largely of three people in a house, it's quite watchable.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Well acted. Well written.
Would have made an excellent hour long thriller back in the days of Saturday night chills.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Fenriz
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Fenriz »

Very boring and generic - the first 45 muinutes just consisted of a couple of Scottish people shouting at each other, and when the "shocks" finally came they were thoroughly unscary. Had quite possibly the worst zombies I've ever seen and the film just didn't go anywhere. Maybe I should've had a lie in on Monday morning.

3/10
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

Nice Idea, shame it didnt come through all the way
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

The Dead Outside

Post by Stephen with ph »

I loved this movie...

I'm not the person who prefaced their "question" with the observation that this was one of the highlights of the festival, but I share that opinion without reservation.

I thought this had something in common with Let the Right One In; both are stories about relationships, where the elements of horror sit in the background and inform the stories in a rather more low-key fashion than is typical with horror movies.

I'm also aware that I'm very much in the minority here, much as I was in loathing Hatchet a couple of years ago. Takes all sorts...
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Not bad particularly given the micro budget - quite enjoyed this but it maybe dragged for the last 10 minutes
Tragedygirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Tragedygirl »

Sorry but this was Yawnsville all the way from me :(
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

I was really into it at the start it just lost it's wayand by the end didn't really make any sense.
The flashback scenes were badly cut together as well.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I just didn't get into this one at all... worst film of the festival for me.
First things first, stay calm.
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

Nice premise....but overly long and drawn out and in real need of a re-edit!

Looked great and stunningly impressive acheivement with what the team had.

Polish it up, shorten it and you could have a winner on your hands.
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Quite enjoyed this one. Liked the setting in the farm and not in the woods. Some stunning shots of the countryside in the evening. Had a couple of scares but was running out steam by the end.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
psychobilly
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by psychobilly »

Fenriz wrote:Very boring and generic - the first 45 muinutes just consisted of a couple of Scottish people shouting at each other, and when the "shocks" finally came they were thoroughly unscary. Had quite possibly the worst zombies I've ever seen and the film just didn't go anywhere. Maybe I should've had a lie in on Monday morning.

3/10
This is pretty harsh considering

I think they werent zombies they were mAD folk

I think we were supposed to feel they were still people, but damaged. the old ticker actually jumped a couple of times but not an out the seat moment at all- only but i dont think it was meant to be a 'jump off your seat' movie.
I'm never keen on scottish movies or micro budgets but lack of blood and guts put some people off im sure, it was a nice character peice, i thought it was pretty looking and the crazies were slightly disturbing, dunno maybe i was a bit numb after Martyrs, now that was greatly disturbing.
7/10