The Dead Outside

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Well done, with an interesting angle that isn't often taken. Did have the slowest car crash resulting in head injury we'd seen all fest, but also had some good buildup and showed how you can use a microbudget effectively...
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
Miikeyboypaines
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Miikeyboypaines »

Truely the stinker of the festival. Unlike some of the other duffers, The Dead Outside took itself too seriously but had no suspense. What it had shovels full of was dull dialogue, awful acting, a ploy twist so poorly revealed that it confused half the audience and cinematography so dull it could only have been enhanced by being filmed in black & white.

It was no doubt a helpful learning curve for the filmmakers involved, but for me it was simply dull. If you're going to make a low budget zombie movie, have some jokes and a hell of a lot of gore. That's how Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson started.
psychobilly
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by psychobilly »

i think the previous poster wants entertainment on a plate of intestines, its a bit dum if the plot confused you!
well done guys for this film, cinematography was so very good for you guys having bugger all money. i apologise for the other posters lack of tact.

i just hate micro budget films getting shat on for no reason, if micro budgets isnt your bag dont post here! simple.

glad to see a micro budget that wasnt trying to be funny tho. please filmakers dont go down that route cos of the likes of 'bad taste' posters.
Miikeyboypaines
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Miikeyboypaines »

Sure, I like entertainment, just like any fellow cinema-goer. If that isn't offered, give me something to think about. Unfortunately neither of these were presented in The Dead Outside.

I wasn't confused, but I did have to explain to some friends what happened. And nope, intenstines aren't my favourite meal (well, may be with the Sunday roast) - suspense, characterisation, and a good story, be it Val Lewton or David Cronenberg, are what floats my boat.

Besides, I thought this is what the forum is about - expressing our opinions? It would be a very dull place to browse if the only posters were those who loved the films.
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

I thought this was pretty good, it did a good job of building tension and reminded me in tone and colour of Isolation, which was shown a couple of years ago at FF. It was probably better before Kate showed up - but I appreciate that she was needed to bring the film to a conclusion.
AndyJWS wrote: Did have the slowest car crash resulting in head injury we'd seen all fest
I assumed that was because of budgets...the van probably belonged to one of the cast/crew and they had to drive it slowly towards the tree and practically park it so they didn't cause any damage.
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

As time passes i have to say i think I enjoyed this a bit more than i realised.

The tone is marvelouslly bleak and desolate throughout. The sense of the countryside in deep winter really strenghtening the feel of this being a kind of end of days.

Ok so April seemed to have the worst case of PMT in history but it was a strong performance from such a young actress.

One i want to see again
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

ive just had word that the film has been trimmed a little so will be a tad shorter.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"