The Disappeared

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

well made and the lead actor was excellant.

But overall a bit too much of a sixth sense vibe for me.
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

Great acting, seems most agreed on that. Loved the settings...recognised the derelict hospital in Putney I've been after for a location...you evil gits!!!

Enthralled with the story, even if the sign posting was a tad obvious. Real cross-over potential!

Looked great too, very economically but tastefully shot.

A real surpsrise!! :)
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

My second British horror fav from the weekend.

Stunning!!!!! Almost like a old fashioned ghost story. Superb acting, great setting, and very moving at the end. Nicely paced and without it being rushed at the end.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
psychobilly
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by psychobilly »

Well done on this one! NICE
Is it just me but living in london and theres not always foxes and dogs barking outside my flat? maybe they could tone that down. i think it was their first showing.

Good work for £500,000- is that still low budget? Great acting by the lead!

BRILL FILM - no blood and guts, was refreshing :)

9/10
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

psychobilly wrote: Is it just me but living in london and theres not always foxes and dogs barking outside my flat? maybe they could tone that down. i think it was their first showing.
There are always foxes making noise around my place, especially in the late spring when the cubs are starting to grow up.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Excellently shot and acted with a good tone (reminded me of Urban Ghost Story at times in terms of feel) but the Amy "twist" I thought was screamingly obvious from pretty much as soon as she was introduced, and the slasher-type climax took me out of the film a bit. Completed a weekend of superb performances by young actors - let's hope they can keep this kind of thing up - and excellent British filmmaking.

May not do so good in cinemas, but should get a nice life on DVD...
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

I thought this was a good film, and the acting was great all round.
The Soapmaker wrote:But ultimately I didn't think the horror/supernatural aspects gelled very well with the "troubled family" drama. It was too slow and lacked momentum - the "clues" Matt found all seemed to be isolated bits and pieces, rather than a real trail which led anywhere - until he suddenly realised who was responsible. And the burning inverted crosses, glowing red eyes and too-old photo of the bad guy were a bit silly. They should've stuck to the low-key Sixth Sense stuff - or gone OTT with a full-on Satanic cult/conspiracy (anyone remember Darklands?).
I'd agree with this, it didn't feel like part of the same film. Also, the scene where the lead is chased into the park and there's a gravestone with the name 'Angus Alucard' clearly written on it in shot took me out of the film and detracted from the tension - the humour didn't seem to fit with the tone up until that point.
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
MattP
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by MattP »

I guess this one could be my favourite of the festival as its the one i think about the most since its over. Great acting as has already been said. Nice atmosphere and location. Only tiny quibbles i have is that i guessed the killer part way through and i figured the twist with the girl. But at the end of the day its the way its done that's important i guess.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

I went down to see one of the stars of The Disappeared last weekend.

(Click the pic to see more)

As someone said, there's been a rapid shutdown of the place as people are moved. I was talking to a woman who'd been there for nearly 25 years now forced to live in a smaller flat. She was off to visit her mom, who'd been there over thirty years.

Some older photos are included here http://www.flickr.com/photos/just1page/ ... 585052216/
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: The Disappeared

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Amazon Prime
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey