The Children

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
Girl Serial Killer

The Children

Post by Girl Serial Killer »

Ace!

That's my one word review, haha :lol:

Who's added the scary little boy on Facebook?
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

I really didn't like this at the start. I'm pleased to say that my opinion was well and truly changed by the end of the film. :D
"I see the bad moon arising.."
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Really good - wasn't expecting a lot as I hadn't enjoyed Waz. But I really liked The Children.
Evil kids being picked off one by one - makes me wish I could do that on a Saturday in the local shopping center.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Likewise I never enjoyed Waz. Was really pleasantly surprised how good The Children was.

They were really creepy. Almost the British version of Children of the Corn. At times seem wrong but right in cheering on the little mite's deaths!

Also like that the fact nothing was explained about the children turning murderous. Apart from the odd clue about coughing up blood.

Loved the shots of the snow covered trees. Would love to live in a house like that.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Far and away the best film of the night, and one of the best horror movies this year - fantastic.
First things first, stay calm.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Felt very much like an 80s pulp horror novel in some respects (hutson or even Jack Ketchum).

might make a great double bill with Doghouse
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
johnnymaniac
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by johnnymaniac »

this was really cool, throwback horror, and i loved it!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

My favourite too.

And with the remote snow and woods setting it evoked Devil Times Five:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSov_1URxH0
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

In my opinion 15 mins out of the first half hour could have happily been cut. I got REALLY fed up of the screaming cildren and happy families. But then once it got going I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting (didn't like Waz either, cops just bore me to tears). So yeah, not a very exciting surprise for me but it was very watchable.

Anyone else think the 'virus' came from that Dad's chinese herbal medicines?
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Was a bit hard to believe a bunch of 6 year old could terrorise and murder a load of adults, but once you got around that this was a good fim.

I didn't like wΔz either, so I was glad this was totally different. it was good that we didn't get any boring back story about the families or why the children were messed up, and it pretty much dived straight into the film. Those children were really evil and creepy - especially those 2 towards the end who went up the stairs to get that woman.

Liked it....although I was dissappointed the surprise film wasn't Black Shampoo!!! lol
killbot
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killbot »

I loved this - my favorite of the night.

I thought it was a good move to focus on the power of children over adults. If kids go bad, any number of hormones and instincts pretty much guarentee the children will win.

I'd like to see it in a double bill with The Bad Seed, with Star Trek episode 'And The Children Shall Lead' playing in between :D
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: The Children

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Girl Serial Killer wrote:Who's added the scary little boy on Facebook?
I would if I could remember his name!
Giz
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Giz »

maxmum wrote:In my opinion 15 mins out of the first half hour could have happily been cut. I got REALLY fed up of the screaming cildren and happy families. But then once it got going I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting (didn't like Waz either, cops just bore me to tears). So yeah, not a very exciting surprise for me but it was very watchable.

Anyone else think the 'virus' came from that Dad's chinese herbal medicines?
I'm with you there,was kinda thinking that it was a nice little dig on how ott some parents can be over their chidrens well being.
And yes i fully admit i cheered every death! I love Frightfest!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

what a treat,this was great,superb a real shocker,and a return to unexplained event movies,like the happening & blindness 2008 is having a few of them.
With an ending that keeps you thinking,this will be huge.
Will definately see this again
Tot-tally terrifying :D
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
gizmo
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by gizmo »

Like a lot of people I think based on audience reaction have to say I loved this film, reminded me of a few different films merged in together but in a good way, body snatchers, village of the damned that sort of thing, felt a bit guilty cheering on the kids deaths but hey...they deserved it!! Also liked the fact that there was no big deal made of how the virus came to be just a little small talk about the dads work and childrens vunerability to catching things, that will do let the slaughter begin!!!!
Yeah but its a dry heat!