The Children

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

The boy's name was Paulie Miles... :wink:
First things first, stay calm.
Goosebumps
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Goosebumps »

I really enjoyed the film, My fave of the evening... Might think twice about babysitting my friends kids next time... they ARE evil to start with!
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

The best film of the night - excellent stuff - a great choice for the surprise movie.
Girl Serial Killer

Post by Girl Serial Killer »

maxmum wrote:I got REALLY fed up of the screaming cildren
Actually yeah, that did my head in a bit too. I'm not a big fan of kids. Next time the boyfriend hints at my bearing child, I shall pick up the DVD (once it's released, of course) and point solemnly at it.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

maxmum wrote:I got REALLY fed up of the screaming children and happy families.
I did too, in fact I found the first half hour or so pretty hard work - didn't like any of the characters and I thought they all looked/acted irritatingly "American" despite it being a British film. Plus, I loathed wΔz so my expectations were low.

But I think the annoying-ness may have been deliberate, as it made it so much fun once the parents and kids started getting bumped off. It was so crazily over the top, I loved the second half.

Not quite Who Can Kill A Child?, but very good indeed. Definite future DVD purchase.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Not my favourite of the night, but I did like it. I like the way you're almost programmed to hate the adults as they're all smug middle-class rich b*st*rds... It had some of the biggest crowd-pleasing "ouch" moments of the weekend and cheers when the little home-tutored Mandarin-speaking brats got theirs.

Expect howls of indignation from the nutbag press if/when it opens....
greasythug
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

new best friend

Post by greasythug »

if you want to add the little kid as a mate on facebook the easiest route to friendship is searching for tom shankland then viewing his friends...and indeed he's caled paulie miles with this photo

http://profile.ak.facebook.com/v230/495 ... 9_2970.jpg
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

The Soapmaker wrote:
maxmum wrote:I got REALLY fed up of the screaming children and happy families.
I did too, in fact I found the first half hour or so pretty hard work - didn't like any of the characters and I thought they all looked/acted irritatingly "American" despite it being a British film. Plus, I loathed wΔz so my expectations were low.

But I think the annoying-ness may have been deliberate, as it made it so much fun once the parents and kids started getting bumped off. It was so crazily over the top, I loved the second half.

Not quite Who Can Kill A Child?, but very good indeed. Definite future DVD purchase.
I'd say better than Who Can Kill a Child? due to a stronger script, more plausible character actions and far better FX.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Bearded Avenger wrote:I'd say better than Who Can Kill a Child? due to a stronger script, more plausible character actions and far better FX.
Fair enough - I find Who Can Kill a Child? quite powerful and thought-provoking, whereas The Children was really just a bloody good laugh. Like 'em both though.
AliceCooperFan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by AliceCooperFan »

I wasn’t quite as bowled over as most, but it was good stuff.

I was a bit disappointed that the surprise film wasn’t Descent 2. I was convinced that was another reason for Neil Marshall to be joining us...

I liked the sustained delirium, crazy kids and carnage in such an idyllic, picture postcard setting. I was a bit unsatisfied that there was no solid reason for why the kids attacked (Chinese herbs gonna get ya?), but a second viewing and the jury will be in…
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Surprised by all the WAZ dissing as that was one of my FF faves and loved it just as much on second viewing on DVD.

I therefore had high hopes for this and in the end I couldn't help but like it. The characters were all very annoying but I live in Clapham and on a Sunday afternoon those types of families are out in force and they ARE very annoying!

Thought the kids out-acted the adults by miles.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Film of the night for me (Hush a close second), I gree with the above poster that the grating nature of the first half hour full of screaming kids is deliberate, plus put the audience sympathies onto the emo girl quite nicely. I really liked the creeping sense that something apocalyptic was going on.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

The BBFC have given this a 15! I would have felt this was an 18 for sure - the leg-on-the-climbing-frame bit tipping it beyond a 15 - but obviously not.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

streetrw wrote:The BBFC have given this a 15! I would have felt this was an 18 for sure - the leg-on-the-climbing-frame bit tipping it beyond a 15 - but obviously not.
Unless the theatrical version has been somewhat trimmed from the one we saw? He did say it wasn't really finished.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: The Children

Post by zappa fan »

currently on freevee
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey