My Name Is Bruce

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
Girl Serial Killer

Re: My Name Is Bruce

Post by Girl Serial Killer »

ghouldrool wrote:Well i had a fair bit of fun with this even if no one else did.

though ive no idea how it ended :oops:
I think the whole back half of the room heard you having fun with it chap!

I vaguely remember it ending with a referral to Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way. Which is one of the few books I've discarded part way through.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Fell asleep - not even Bruce could keep me awake for this. I don't think it will sell at all to anyone, not even fans like me.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

You know, I really wanted to like this - I caught the trailer at a Festival Whose Name I Shall Not Speak and it looked sort of okay in a sort of 80s throwback way, along the lines of Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer. It's slapdash, cheap and cheerful and (though it knows it) fairly naff, and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But the big problem is that it just ain't funny enough.

And it has the most damned annoying song since 2000 Maniacs.
AliceCooperFan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by AliceCooperFan »

Wow, this film is really taking a slating here...!

I found it very enjoyable, but then I am a big Bruce Campbell fan...his book If Chins Could Kill is sheer greatness and I liked the concept for this film. I wasn’t sure about the whole Chinese ghost thing…deadites would have been better, and perhaps more PC! I loved the scenes of Bruce sending himself up though.

Will check out the DVD, bound to be fun extras… Overall, not as good as it could have been, but appreciated by a fan like me.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

As bad as I thought it would be and then some. Just dire.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Thought this was dreadful. If you are going to do this sort of post-modern self-referential thing (which is already starting to get as old as the shot on video diary format became) then it has to be clever. The fake Bruce Campbell films were unconvincing, the production values would have embarrased a season 1 episode of Buffy, and it just wasn't funny.

Hoping JCVD is better than this (certainly looks it).
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

I missed this (and all other films at the all nighter) due to not actually being there, but I am seeing this at the LIFF. I hope it is better than this thread suggests.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

dangerous_jamie wrote:I missed this (and all other films at the all nighter) due to not actually being there, but I am seeing this at the LIFF. I hope it is better than this thread suggests.
Nope its not good at all,and considering its written by mark verheiden,its shockingly bad.
your better off getting an Ernest movie boxset at least they are funny and make sense,as this doesnt score any points.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

I already have all the Ernest movies!
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

There was an article about this film in the latest Fangoria. Not only was that Chinese god actually borrowed from Chinese mythology, but he rwally was the patron saint of bean curd!
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

Yeah, but the Mickey Rooney shtick? No thanks.
"I see the bad moon arising.."
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

I saw this at LIFF on Sunday.

It was alright.
The jokes dried up about half way through and Ted Raimi was pretty offensive as the generic chinese caricature dude.

Also I seemed to be the only person that got some of the more obscure BC jokes (such as McHale's Army etc).

Infinitely better on the LIFF bill was Deadgirl, which I would recommend to any and all of you.