Book of Blood

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Book of Blood

Post by ghouldrool »

Looks like this one didnt register much with people.

Felt more like a TV thing than a proper film. Very leaden pace and only capably performed.

It wasnt an actual failure and technically was a strong and faithful adaptation. Just its one of the lesser tales in the books of blood.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

I actually liked this one, for the first half it was a bit slow, but towards the end it really got going and the ending was great. I preferred this to Midnight Meat Train, MMT was a bit bland and average imo, but this was pretty good.

But yeah, in Books Of Blood it's not one of the stand out stories, and it's more of an intro to the other stories, so it wasn't an obvious one to make a film about.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I loved it...... why didn't it register with people?? In my top 2 faves of the allnighter.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
killbot
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killbot »

I really liked this one too - I thought that it was pretty effective and and enjoyable ride, even if some of the story was a little garbled (like I don't feel it was really explained why the lady turns evil when she goes blond).
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

i say it didnt register only because it was the one movie that still didnt have a thread devoted to it.

I think it might have made a great pilot episode to a series of Books of Blood adaptations.

E4 anyone?

God knows how In The Hills, the Cities would be done.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

killbot wrote:like I don't feel it was really explained why the lady turns evil when she goes blond.
Yeah - reminded me of Hitchcock and his blonde femme fatales!
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Oooo Ghoulie... Good Idea!!

Could replace Masters Of Horror!!! :D

But it didn't explain why she went all 'Emma Frost' the white queen :)

I liked it... loud bangs made me jump n stuff so I was happy... :D

Although the fact it had Robin Hood in it turned me off... I HATE these actors that sign up for TV shows like Dr Who and Robin Hood/Merlin, do it for a year or two and then say "I want to move on"... ummm the show's called Dr Who/Robin hood... your character name... you leaving the show after so little commitment kinda puts everyone else out of job :lol:
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

ghouldrool wrote:I think it might have made a great pilot episode to a series of Books of Blood adaptations.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the plan at some stage, it did feel like an extended Masters of Horror episode.

I thought it was pretty good, dark and atmospheric and I liked the Scottish setting. But it got a bit repetitive and boring. As my brother said, not quite pervy or bloody enough to really capture the trademark Barker feel.

I also could have done without the pipsqueak who used to play Robin Hood (couldn't care less that he "moved on" from the series though, since he was the screen's worst-ever RH. What next, BBC? Ralf Little as Tarzan?).
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

The Soapmaker wrote:I also could have done without the pipsqueak who used to play Robin Hood (couldn't care less that he "moved on" from the series though, since he was the screen's worst-ever RH. What next, BBC? Ralf Little as Tarzan?).
It's the principle!!! :lol: :D
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i quite liked the book of blood,it had a great start,with the cafe scene,and its very much a slow burn,like all good ghost stories are,it definately has that feel of a classic sense of storytelling,the only thing it missed was some sort of narration,liked it very much.
i also think the reason the lady goes blonde is that all the money she made,from the books has made her completely rich and very much like cruella de ville sort of person.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Giz
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Giz »

I loved it,great setting,and as i've not seen robin hood can't share your gripe.
I think that she was always naughty and lured him into the house more,and what old film didn't have a blonde femme fatale pulling the brunette wig off at the end?

I would love to see the hills,the cities. But I would prefer an animated version,or it could end up a load of bad cg.
Heard they were making a few of these originally for tv,and a lot more were mentioned,so i guess it could happen.

At the end,the credits mentioned it was also based on the Jerusalem song,anyone read this? only got volumes 1-3 :oops:
Goosebumps
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Goosebumps »

I'm still 50/50 on this one... I really liked the first half but then I started to get a bit bored... LOVED the drowning in blood bit :D
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

I thought that this was pretty good - a bit slow in the middle but still a decent film.
gizmo
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by gizmo »

Nice effects on the cutting of the skin but, like some, felt it would have worked better if it was reduced down to an hour and placed into some sort of anthology of stories maybe....
Yeah but its a dry heat!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

This was another I was looking forward to.

Great setting. The first half was nicely paced and the second half just slowed right down. The ending did go on a bit but I liked the ghostly special effects. Again a watchable film.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"