Book of Blood

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
Girl Serial Killer

Post by Girl Serial Killer »

This felt a bit 80s TV movie to me.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

killbot wrote:like I don't feel it was really explained why the lady turns evil when she goes blond
did she really turn evil though? seemed like it was more that she was being respectful to the dead by listening to their stories and letting people know about them. Whereas the boy's pissed off the dead by pretending to write their stories on the walls and telling people lies about them, so he's the more evil one really, and no one has much sympathy for him when he dies.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

i think hiring someone to kill and skin him pushes her closer to the evil side
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

I really enjoyed this - maybe its because I've been reading the books. Dread should be amazing if done properly and Pig Blood Blues should also be fun.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Plus I think it was the being held up for days on end... while she took the stories and published them not out of good intentions but out of greed.

Mind you he coulda set up shop in a library somewhere and set up story hour instead of hiding away...

I mean really... both as bad as each other :D
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Maybe the Yattering and Jack is on the cards?
wouldnt like to think how some of his novels would translate,a remake of Cabal would be good.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Maybe someone should do a nice little film with as many of them in as possible. The stories don't need much padding out as long as they are done properly.
Although don't think I want to see Age of Desire...
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Not being familiar with the Books (I had some of them several years ago but they are long since lost) I had no real idea what to expect from this. In the event it's pretty impressive - all the haunted house stuff is very creepy and very nicely done. I don't think the relatively leisurely pace works against it - it's nice to find a movie that takes its time though maybe a few trims might help it.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Book of Blood

Post by Bearded Avenger »

ghouldrool wrote:Looks like this one didnt register much with people.

Felt more like a TV thing than a proper film. Very leaden pace and only capably performed.

It wasnt an actual failure and technically was a strong and faithful adaptation. Just its one of the lesser tales in the books of blood.
What he said.

Although what I would add, is that having rcently read the short story I felt that some of the additions jusy didn't work. Although the FX were pretty good.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Grindhouse wrote:Maybe the Yattering and Jack is on the cards?
I'd like to see that one, it's my favourite one of the BOBs. We've had 2 made into films in quick succession, so maybe there's more to follow....!

Although Weaveworld is the Barker book I'd most like to see being made into a film, his best one imo.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Wolfshade wrote:
Grindhouse wrote:Maybe the Yattering and Jack is on the cards?
I'd like to see that one, it's my favourite one of the BOBs. We've had 2 made into films in quick succession, so maybe there's more to follow....!

Although Weaveworld is the Barker book I'd most like to see being made into a film, his best one imo.
They are currently making Dread and Pig Blood Blues. Both if done properly should be excellent!
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Bit disappointed. Felt a little 'Hellraiser' but not enough.

Liked some of the effects but the CGI ghosts just reminded me of the ones in the recent Hollywood horror remakes (Pulse, The Eye etc.)

Overall not bad but could have been better.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Hello Doris! wrote:
They are currently making Dread and Pig Blood Blues. Both if done properly should be excellent!
Woah, they're going mad with them! Apparently PBB is out 2010 or 11, so it looks like we're gonna have to wait a while though :cry:

I like the way they're only short stories cos it's means the director can add plenty of their own bits!
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I was lucky enough to get onto the set of Dread yesterday, and today was their final day of filming - so the movie should be ready Spring/Summer 2009. Alan Jones was also there earlier in the week so I'm sure he'll have more news on that in his next blog...

I had a long chat with producer Joe Daley and he said that the next two films will be - all being well - The Madonna and then Pig Blood Blues, and they hope to be able to film both of those in the UK next year.
First things first, stay calm.