I SELL THE DEAD

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

I SELL THE DEAD

Post by Team Banzai »

how was the amicus/hammer style riff from our guest glenn mcquaid ?
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

I loved it. i was talking to Andy about how there isn't enough 'period' horror films around. And this was just the ticket. Everyone was on fine form!
Geishagirl
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

I sell The Dead

Post by Geishagirl »

I was quite disappointed with this film. Thought it was shot well (very Burtonesque) although a little dark in some places. But I thought the humour was a little restrained, the gags seemed to falter just before the punchline and I could see the twist coming from a mile. Also did anyone think perlman was so mis-cast in this film? I really wanted this film to be great, sadly it wasn't.
"When you look at your life in a strange new room, almost drowning soon, is this the start of it all?"
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

No, i'd go in the opposite to what you just said. It's one of those films I came in without actually thinking i'm looking forward to this or it looks interesting, I just came in with an open mind and thought i'll give it a try.

Great mix of horror, tributes to the past, a good cast and it didn't take itself too seriously.

A good example of horror and comedy working well together.
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

i was worried for this coming straight after dorothy which was awesome. it worked though because Glenn was one of us, a horror geek through and through.

you could see he wanted to give a nod to his favourite films and to have a laugh doing it. glad he went the comedy direction because it could have maybe struggled staying straight. yes it was obvious but come on it was a good film that i will recommend to most of my mates, even the ones that don't like horror.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

I just freaking loved it. Send me info on how to distribute films cause I've found my first one!
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

It was good, it kept my interest throughout which for me is a very important part of what makes a good film, I don't want to miss a part of it. Once a film loses what initially catches my interest then it's hard to capture it back again, it has to take something amazing for that to happen.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

It was very amusing.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Geishagirl
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

I Sell The Dead

Post by Geishagirl »

In reply to what Krispy said.. I love dark, period thigs- esp. Ripper stuff etc. I suppose I hadn't counted on the 'humour' factor but after seeing 'The Cottage' last year (personally I thought that was one of the funniest horror/com films since Evil Dead, the stupendous Grindhouse aside)., for me the laughs were badly timed and kinda fell flat. I liked elements if the movie and i would watch it again but I do sometimes wonder why people insist on writing, shooting AND cutting their films- it becomes so personal to the dude that makes it that it almost becomes Whatcha think?
"When you look at your life in a strange new room, almost drowning soon, is this the start of it all?"
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

Really enjoyed this as well - lots of good comedy and a great cast.
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Liked the take on the Hammer look and the use of animation in the film. Some very amusing moments. Very much a film from someone who loves horror genre.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
roughcutreviews
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by roughcutreviews »

Having never been a avid watcher of hammer movies I didnt really know what to expect from this one but happy to say I loved it.. Best movie of the weekend for me.. Director seemed like a cool guy too..
"When theres no more room in hell the dead will walk the earth..."
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

It was ok, but I wouldnt buy it on DVD or see it again probably. Had entertaining moments though.