Triangle

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

The BIG difference between this film and Time Crimes is that this is NOT a time travel story, it is a story of punishment. There is only 1 real Jess, she is driving and dies in the crash, she then makes a deal with death and because she does not return to him she is forced to play out the action which can change from loop to loop as long as she ends up in the same place....
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

This was okay.

Definitely lost out to Time Crimes in most aspects of this kind of tale.
I am quite happy to overlook flaws in internal logic loops etc and felt that they were dealt with by the fact that changes she made ended up with similar results.
For me the start point was when she cheated death and the end point will be when she goes with death, leaving the nicely dressed version behind (and a minor puzzle for the crash investigators).

The atmosphere was good, but there were perhaps too many characters and the two I least cared for ended up "lasting" longer.

The scene with the multiples of "Annoying Couple Lady" was the high point.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It was okay but I'm not sure it was the idea opening night choice as I personally like the fest to start with a wallop (the best FF opener surely has to be the double-header of Pan's Labyrinth and Hatchet, no?). I've no doubt it does make sense overall but I have to say I did get confused by the multiple Jesses at more than one point....
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Found this at first to be Ghost Ship style or lost in the Bermuda Triangle type story. Found the film got bogged down the with multiple Jesses which after a while found confusing and tiresome. I did rather enjoy the car crash at the end!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
steve806
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by steve806 »

Thought this was a well made film with an interesting idea.

I am trying not to overanalysis it but it seems that that is impossible to avoid.

I think the difficulty is in trying to establish when the cycle begins but after much thought I am not sure you can identify exactly when it began. The whole film could potentially be one cycle.

Still a good movie that at least required us to think.

Thumbs up from me.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Oh I liked the taxi driver of death, and that it was completely underplayed.

(Unless it wasn't)
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

A decent start to the festival albeit not up to Severance or Eden Lake standards.
dnky666
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by dnky666 »

I enjoyed this and thought that the storm scene and gunshots were the perfect way to showcase and acquaint us with the beefiness of the Empire sound-system.

Also thought the first time the shooting occurred it was particularly brutal. Far more so than scenes of a similar ilk. Those bullets HURT.

The only downside was I'd had no sleep the previous night and this is not the film to have a 20 minute battle with fatigue during. You think you were confused! I was in my own bloody Triangle for about 35 minutes.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Cracking start to the festival.... Loved The Melissa George Show, as you can prolly gather.
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

Melissa George was the highlight for me - cracking performance. Other than that, a slightly above-average, well-made film. Hopefully it will allow Ms George to get more beefy roles in the future.
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
i-went-to-frightfest
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by i-went-to-frightfest »

i throughly enjoyed this movie and felt it was the perfect start to the weekend not to heavy gory etc 1 or 2 great visual moments that have already been mentioned and very much a mmm have to see that again to try and pick out all the plotholes and yes great performance 1 of those roles im sure actors love where they have to try and show multiple sides to the same character
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

Mellisa George was good but the film wanted to be more intelligent than it actually was. I did think it was ok just not as good as it could have been.

the worst part of it was the piss poor cgi bird that kept appearing throughout the film.
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

Thought this was a great opening film and much preffered it to Severance.
It looked fantastic on the huge Empire main screen and the opening scenes on the ocean was a real wow moment.
Agreed that analysing the film can be a bet of a conundrum but i think that was the idea.
It is done in such a way so that you can come to your own conclusions.
Really liked it.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Like many others, I found this was very similar to the superior Time Crimes and thought the internal logic didn't always seem to stand up on first viewing. 7/10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Yeah the comparisons to Time Crimes were startling - not only the time loop and the multiple characters thing, but even down to the events of the movie - Melissa getting dressed up in the mask and overalls was almost indentical to the scene where Hector wraps his head in bandages and puts on the coat in TC.

The difference was that Time Crimes kept it's concept simple, to it never got itself wrapped up in knots and was enjoyable to watch, Triangle, on the other hand, just got completely lost in itself and became almost impossible to fathom - during the Q&A I even got the impression that the director and Melissa weren't entirely sure what was going on the film themselves.

Also Time Crimes gaves us a reason why the time loop was occurred (the time machine Hector had been tricked into), but in Triangle, no real reason was giving as why the time loop was going on.

As an opening film, this was dissappointing - almost identical to a film we'd seen a year ago, only much worse. Certainly compared with the opening films of the last 2 years, Black Sheep and Eden Lake, this was a big let down. I think Dead Snow or House Of The Devil would have made far better openers.
Last edited by Wolfshade on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.