Dread

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
Stark
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Stark »

Dissapointing and a little boring.

Well shot and cohesive, but I felt Quaid was too ridiculous to be taken seriously and I spent the whole moving waiting for him to meet the axe only to see him skip away happy and untouced at the end.

I have no idea why the ending was changed from the short, I felt it ruined what was an ok movie. I did like the addition of birthmark girl though... thought she was a very nice touch.
They're coming for you Barbara...
fd
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by fd »

I really liked this. Well worth including and I made sure that I went up to the director to tell him that I thought it was the best straight horror in the festival so far.

I can appreciate why people didn't engage with it, but thought it was good concept and was well implemented, particularly the use of sound with the axe banging and the deaf guy's "re-deafening".
macready
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by macready »

Meh. I remember loving the short story but this just dragged and didn't seem to be going anywhere for a long time. Not the worst Barker adaptation, but a long way from the best.
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

Another one of my faves of the weekend.
Not knowing what to expect having not read the short story or hearing that much about the film i found myself completley engrossed in it.
Fascinating subject matter as well.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

I really did not like this at all
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

*** Possible spoilers ***

Dark and grim - so it went down well with me. However, if the director thought the "villain" had redeeming features that enabled the audience to empathise with him, then I didn't notice them. I would have tried to kill him long before the nominal hero attempted to, but maybe that's just me! 9 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Left me feeling underwhelmed as did last year's Book Of Blood.

Agree with others that it didn't feel realistic that anyone would continue participating in anything with such an obviously psychotic guy.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Can see how it's divisive, but personally loved it.

Was gripped throughout and found myself really connected to some of the characters - the culmination of the story of the girl with the birthmark was one of the most affecting scenes of the weekend for me.

Ironically, the short story seems almost more Hollywood in its happy(ish) ending!

The really scary thing, though, is how much further than that people will go in cooperating with psychological experiments - the Milgram experiment is probably the most well-known example...
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

AndyJWS wrote:Can see how it's divisive, but personally loved it.
I agree with you there. Not having read the short story, I didn't know what to expect, but was intrigued throughout as to where it would end. Although, I must agree with the other postings about why the other characters concerns weren't raised by such on obvious psychopath as Quaid.
Goggs
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Goggs »

Help!!

I'm not going to comment about how awesome this film was (face it - it was :-) ) but can anyone remember what the piece of music over the final scene was?

I've been arguing over this for a while and just need someone to back me up please.

Thanks!