House Of The Devil

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Really loved this one, with the suspense built up expertly in this 1980s set occult shocker reminiscent of the '70s classics. Someone else obviously liked it as they proclaimed Ti West to be the new Polanski! 9.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Alex J wrote:Someone else obviously liked it as they proclaimed Ti West to be the new Polanski! 9.5 / 10
Was that "French Lady" ? ;)
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

That was indeed our beloved French Cinegoer.
slyboy
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by slyboy »

Oh French lady loved this rather boring, not very scary, generally bad acted film. It takes more than a Walkman and some crappy music to give the 80's vibe. I had a big problem with this as it is an 80's retro film that thematcally is a more 70's film. I think it should have been set 5 years earlier then it would have been more cohesive retroly (if that is a word) speaking.

There were some major logic problems with the film. The main character set up in the first plodding 45 minutes was not consistent with the nosey boogie boogie and rather paranoid girl in the second half. The character in my eyes was very different.

In addition, you are looking after an old woman for the evening, you are told she is independent, so why do you pick up a knife and act terrified as soon as you here a noise upstairs. It just does not make sense.

Some one should tell the direct that slow-paced films are not the same as films where you see the characters walk a lot, it was almost like that the first cut was too short so they added extra sections at the start and end of scenes that showed the characters walking around the frame just to extend the running time.

3/10
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

slyboy wrote:Woops I posted that toooo many times. I kept getting an error message
lol some of us get the error... some don't, it still lets your posts through.

Welcome to Frightfest forums... ummm just a quick note, how will you be paying for your Puppy Fan Club Pack? :wink:
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

slyboy wrote:Oh French lady loved this rather boring, not very scary, generally bad acted film. It takes more than a Walkman and some crappy music to give the 80's vibe. I had a big problem with this as it is an 80's retro film that thematcally is a more 70's film. I think it should have been set 5 years earlier then it would have been more cohesive retroly (if that is a word) speaking.
But it did have that 70s/80s vibe (I guessed at late 70s/early 80s but I'm not sure if there was a definite date indicated). It looked, sounded and felt precisely like an old horror movie from that period in exactly the way that, say, Death Proof didn't. If Death Proof had been a genuine grindhouse movie it would have been half as long, and would have looked like grainy 16mm rather than the full sumptuous Scope look. Every detail of Ti West's film feels entirely authentic - right down to putting the copyright date in the opening credits, the hair, the lack of frenzied editing.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

streetrw wrote:
slyboy wrote:Oh French lady loved this rather boring, not very scary, generally bad acted film. It takes more than a Walkman and some crappy music to give the 80's vibe. I had a big problem with this as it is an 80's retro film that thematcally is a more 70's film. I think it should have been set 5 years earlier then it would have been more cohesive retroly (if that is a word) speaking.
But it did have that 70s/80s vibe (I guessed at late 70s/early 80s but I'm not sure if there was a definite date indicated). It looked, sounded and felt precisely like an old horror movie from that period in exactly the way that, say, Death Proof didn't. If Death Proof had been a genuine grindhouse movie it would have been half as long, and would have looked like grainy 16mm rather than the full sumptuous Scope look. Every detail of Ti West's film feels entirely authentic - right down to putting the copyright date in the opening credits, the hair, the lack of frenzied editing.
That's the one thing I loved about the film, the look and vibe. The throw back to the horror/films of the period int he set up and execution :D
macready
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by macready »

streetrw wrote:
Absolutely my thought. Both of the Grindhouse movies missed the mark when trying to capture the period feel - I can't think how Planet Terror could possibly have fit into the grindhouse era (mid-80s VHS, maybe), while Death Proof should definitely have been half the length.

House Of The Devil captured the period feel perfectly. I can't think of any other attempt to capture the era that's worked anywhere near as well, except maybe the fake trailer in The Hills Run Red.

Now I feel very old for describing the era I grew up in as "period".)
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

macready wrote:Now I feel very old for describing the era I grew up in as "period".)
We may be old, but it was a good era to grow up in, wasn't it?! :D
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

The Soapmaker wrote:
macready wrote:Now I feel very old for describing the era I grew up in as "period".)
We may be old, but it was a good era to grow up in, wasn't it?! :D
It was the BEST :D
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

An hour of build up and 5 minutes of story at the end? Not my favourite movie, but I did ask a question and get a sweet limited edition movie poster!
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Found The Roost dreadfully boring so this was a step up for me. Still very slow though but that did fit with the whole retro vibe which as others have said was very authentic.

Apart from the retro setting it was very similar to Babysitter Wanted
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

For me, one of the films of the festival (also loved The Horseman and Triangle) because it had a really unsettling atmospere. I wasnt ecpecting much because I hated The Roost with a passion.

Tom Noonan was particulary creepy in his role, and made me dig out Manhunter for a rewatch, still the best Lecter movie, by some distance.

It does feel like a lost film from the seventies. The scenes with the girl exploring upstairs in the house, had a real sense of dread.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

The period feel worked very well and really reminded me of that type of movie from the early 80s. Ironically its a period of films I don't end to rewatch much because I find them to be an hour plus of buildup and then all the payoff squished into the last few minutes, so that this did it too serves to stay consistent in my eyes! Wouldn't say I totally loved it, for that same reason - I can appreciate the intention but its just not my taste - but kudos to Ti West for capturing the feel so well. And such a shame about Cabin Fever 2!
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
Darkly Noon
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Darkly Noon »

Loved the film and all of its slow buildup - most genuinely scary film of the fest for me, bar none.

Oh, and I liked the poster seen at FF alright, but the new one is fucking awesome!

I want I want I want I want I want.