Case 39

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Case 39

Post by DavieT »

I really liked this movie - it would surely play very well to a mainstream audience so dont get why its been hanging around unreleased for a couple of years. Renee Zellweger ... well was Renee Zellweger (I did keep thinking Bridget Jones : Child of Satan for a while) but the evil little kid Lily was great - I so wanted to microwave her ;)
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Makes Orphan look like Rosemary's Baby.

Utter tedium.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

sherbetbizarre wrote:Makes Orphan look like Rosemary's Baby.

Utter tedium.
Yeah. It started well enough but I struggled to stay awake in the second half. A pity as I really liked his last Frightfest offering Antibodies.
Tommy-Boy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Tommy-Boy »

A by-the-numbers mainstream flick. Yet another of those "evil kid" movies but I found myself enjoying it. The kid was suitably creepy and I did so like the scene where she freaked out the beardy-boy psychologist.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I wasn't expecting much, but it was OK. I'm a bit of a sucker for Bad Seed movies.

I did think both Zelleger and McShane were too easily convinced the kiddie was evil - it might've worked better if she kept denying it to herself. And it all got too frantic towards the end.

Why could the girl escape a burning house but not a sinking car?
goregoregirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by goregoregirl »

Rubbish film, but the scene with the hornet coming out of Bradley Cooper's eye was one of the few things to genuinely creep me out all weekend.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

The Soapmaker wrote:Why could the girl escape a burning house but not a sinking car?
Because climbing of a ground-floor window whilst your crazy foster-mother runs around sloshing petrol about isn't difficult.

Anyway... jonbly really liked this one.

7/10
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

jonbly wrote:
The Soapmaker wrote:Why could the girl escape a burning house but not a sinking car?
Because climbing of a ground-floor window whilst your crazy foster-mother runs around sloshing petrol about isn't difficult.
You're probably right... I thought she'd drugged her, locked all exits etc but my memory could be failing me....

Still not convinced she'd be so easy to get rid of. But I guess they were (highly optimistically) leaving it open for the sequel, eh? :lol:
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

jonbly wrote:
Okay then, how come she could control a lift and make it go dark yet not escape a sinking car ? Eh?

I wish to report this thread to social services for unrepressing my memories of this film.

Some v.creepy moments for an apiphobe like me, and if the cute little girl from the opening scenes had not turned out to be some sort of demon, I'd have felt cheated.

However, the social services: getting over involved, interfering with police business, case notes at home, shouting at the phone and getting told to "take the rest of the day off" ... wrong! Implausible !
They don't even pull stunts like this in Law & Order.

And I just cannot abide Renee Zellweggler.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Whilst no classic, after Zombie Women and House of the Devil it was good to watch something for entertainment value if nothing else.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Had a few jumps and did remind of The Orphan a bit. At least this film has some atmosphere. The little girl was well creepy.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Very generic mainstream evil kid movie, Omen meets Exorcist wannabe, seen it all before, but it was actually strangely watchable at the same time - was one of the longer films of the fest, but I got really into it, and never felt bored.

and yes, the bees through the nose, eyes and mouth scene was pretty awesome!
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Well, I didn't mind it even if it was a generic, mainstream offering from a big studio. It did the job. I've no time for Renee Zellweger usually and while the movie's nothing special, it rattles along quite nicely with a few well-timed jumpy moments.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

It was entertaining enough, but it got more ridiculous as the film went on, to the point where it very nearly reached a Mirrors-esque level of bollocks.

But it had its moments. The kid's performance was spot on.

And maybe the reason this hasn't been released yet might be due to the Baby P, social services are crap media shit-storm that has occurred over the last year or so. But that might not be the case Stateside.

Let's face it though, if Mirrors can get a release then why can't this? More to the point - if Mirrors can get a theatrical release then why the fuck can't Trick 'r Treat?!? But that's a conversation for another part of the forum...
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
**suzy**
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by **suzy** »

I was actually quite surprised that I liked this film as it had Renee Zellweger and she's not really made a film that I've liked in a long time. It wasn't orginal with the whole demon child thing but it was good how you felt sorry for the kid at first and then realised what was going on. I'm so getting it on DVD
Suzy
xx

twitter - @suzy_bear_