Heartless

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
kaiju
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

heartless

Post by kaiju »

I liked the film, although i think everyone in the rom knew it was all in his head. Which is a shame because i found the ida that these hooded creatures were on the streets burning people more disturbing an idea.
But the kitchen jump was the best of the fest. and it was very atmospheric.
kaiju
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

heartless

Post by kaiju »

Also like to say i thought the little girl was really good in the film, No one seemed to be talking to her about the film so we went up and had a chat to her. Very smart sweet girl.We got her autograph which pleased her mum loads(i think the frightfesters were neglecting her quite frankly.)
For me she stood out in the film(literally in that sparkling dress), but she was his one ray of hope in the film it seemed, and she didnt have the same cockernee miserable traits that most of the other characters exhibited.She also didnt come across as a small chld mindlessly reading lines from a page,she actually acted. I personally wish her all the best.
Tommy-Boy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: heartless

Post by Tommy-Boy »

kaiju wrote:Also like to say i thought the little girl was really good in the film, No one seemed to be talking to her about the film so we went up and had a chat to her. Very smart sweet girl.We got her autograph which pleased her mum loads(i think the frightfesters were neglecting her quite frankly.)
For me she stood out in the film(literally in that sparkling dress), but she was his one ray of hope in the film it seemed, and she didnt have the same cockernee miserable traits that most of the other characters exhibited.She also didnt come across as a small chld mindlessly reading lines from a page,she actually acted. I personally wish her all the best.
Hear Hear - I did think it was quite bad that she was ignored and not allowed up on stage whilst we had to put up with Noel Clarke dicking around on his phone . I'm sorry but I found his behaviour irritating and quite disrespectful to the audience.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

I didn't see the girly girl... :( in fact I missed a few people in my book.

It was another case of "Catch them outside, they'll be signing near the press wall" so out I went to wait and there was nothing but confusion :(

Got the main bloke though but missed the dr who bloke :( Wahhhhhh
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: heartless

Post by Hello Doris! »

Tommy-Boy wrote:
kaiju wrote:Also like to say i thought the little girl was really good in the film, No one seemed to be talking to her about the film so we went up and had a chat to her. Very smart sweet girl.We got her autograph which pleased her mum loads(i think the frightfesters were neglecting her quite frankly.)
Hear Hear - I did think it was quite bad that she was ignored and not allowed up on stage whilst we had to put up with Noel Clarke dicking around on his phone . I'm sorry but I found his behaviour irritating and quite disrespectful to the audience.
Agree with you both, I saw her and wanted to say hello and well done. But thought it may come across creepy especially with Mr O on my arm.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

puppy she was stood at the end of your row at the end of the film!

the film sat at fairly mediocre for me. Not really orignal, it seemed to have stolen ideas from various films.

Good
- the little girl and eddie marsan were great
- i did like the fiery deaths(quite well shot and fairly grisly) and the screams of the .........

Bad
- over hyped and it didn't feel to original at all.
- a little on the dull side
- Jim Sturgess' performance. One second he is socially awkward the next he is having cocktails with the guy next door.
- the soundtrack, too samey. don't think we needed the plot sang at us 2 minutes after it happens.
- the delusions of grandeur.

The film is ok but thinks too much of itself. I will watch it again but I don't expect much for the next time. Noel Clarke and the director came off as a little on the arrogant side.
**suzy**
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by **suzy** »

This film knocked me for 6, it was amazing. I thought it was going to be some kind of take on all the knife crime and yobs we have now a days but when Jamie mets Daddy P, everything just went mental. 10 out of 10 in my book.
Suzy
xx

twitter - @suzy_bear_
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

AnotherSchmuck wrote:In the Q+A after the film the Director reaffirmed the twatty "new genre" comments.
AdeBrown wrote:Aren't the comments here those of the producer before the film?

I did not stay for the Q&A, just in case it was a list of films that producer should watch.
:roll:

Did people laugh?
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

AdeBrown wrote:
AnotherSchmuck wrote:In the Q+A after the film the Director reaffirmed the twatty "new genre" comments.
:roll:

Did people laugh?
A few did, a few of us muttered "is it fuck"..... it was one of those moments of hesitation when you're not sure if someone's joking or not.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

It reminded me in parts of a diluted Clive Barker, with some of Angel Heart mashed with Lock Stock And Kidulthood. The port wine stain psychology was much better handled in Dread. To paraphrase Chekhov, if you are going to show a man with a razor claw hand in Act 1, you are bound to use him in the final Act. Shoreditch is not as scary as last year's Elephant & Castle (that estate from The Disappeared is now almost 95% empty by the way).
Yet, over all I liked Heartless.

There, I have invented a whole new genre of criticism.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

I agree with the comments about the film trying to encompass too many storylines - it seems to want to be thriller, horror, romance, fantasy, gangland story, "pack with the devil" story, abused misfit documentary, story of inner beauty over outward appearance, blah blah blah....but it didn't fulfil any of these areas adequately enough and just came across like a bunch of random ideas carelessly thrown together.

Also yes, it really did milk the cockney family from the rough east end thing way too far.

So definitely not the movie for me....although I have to say, the scene where the guys's in the bathroom, and he thinks his girlfriend is outside and opens the door and there's a snarling demon there was probably the most shocking moment of the whole festival. Just a shame the rest of the film wasn't as good.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

Wolfshade wrote: So definitely not the movie for me....although I have to say, the scene where the guys's in the bathroom, and he thinks his girlfriend is outside and opens the door and there's a snarling demon there was probably the most shocking moment of the whole festival. Just a shame the rest of the film wasn't as good.
You mean the exact same scene that's in An American Werewolf in London, but sans snarling?

I can see that some people really did enjoy this film, but to me it felt like an extended ITV crime drama.
"I see the bad moon arising.."
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

orlovsky wrote:
Wolfshade wrote: So definitely not the movie for me....although I have to say, the scene where the guys's in the bathroom, and he thinks his girlfriend is outside and opens the door and there's a snarling demon there was probably the most shocking moment of the whole festival. Just a shame the rest of the film wasn't as good.
You mean the exact same scene that's in An American Werewolf in London, but sans snarling?
Hardly just An American Werewolf, there's a scene like that in countless other horror films too - getting the audience to feel calm then suddenly throwing a shock in.

It was the first time I'd seen An American Werewolf, and the scene in that didn't make me jump, but the one in Heartless did, so it was done far more effectively here imo.
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

Wolfshade wrote:
Hardly just An American Werewolf, there's a scene like that in countless other horror films too - getting the audience to feel calm then suddenly throwing a shock in.

It was the first time I'd seen An American Werewolf, and the scene in that didn't make me jump, but the one in Heartless did, so it was done far more effectively here imo.
I know it's in loads of horror movies (and very over used, IMHO) but seeing as we'd seen it at least once before this weekend, I thought I'd mention that particular use of it :)

It seems to me that all of the scares in Heartless were provided solely by sudden, loud noises, but this could just be due to the mahoosive subwoofer they have in the empire. :D
"I see the bad moon arising.."