The FrightFest ICA all-nighter

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
Kosmas
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Kosmas »

If by any chance, anyone has a spare ticket or wants to sell one (for whatever reason), please do let me know (was late for the online selling and would have to buy a plane ticket too ... from Stuttgart/Germany again) :)
Thanks
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

Price wise and sleep wise I think it works out a lot easier for me to stay in glasgow this halloween. I would have liked to see most of the line up, especially with the frightfest audience.

Now have sorted out my alternative halloween -

Saturday during the day Glasgow Roller Girls - 2 roller derby matches with some rumoured dressing up.

Saturday night Halloween all nighter at the Odeon(glasgow atlantic quay) - no films announced yet but generally 3 old films plus 2 new films. Normally a piss poor audience but you cant complain for cheapish horror on the big screen. Always like to follow this up with a Wetherspoons breakfast.

Sunday Night - off to GFT for a performance of Norferatu with live musical accompaniment.

Should be a good weekend just keeping my fingers crossed for a good line up. Previous years have had The Thing, Tremors, Shaun of the Dead, The Descent, The Hitcher(original) and Switchblade Romance as the older films.

Aye so this post is purely for me since you all are gorezoning, frightfesting or paul davis phoenixing. Ah well, see you all in February when you come up to Glasgow.
PatrolDave
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by PatrolDave »

What is attracting people to the gorezone lineup?
I am confused.

PatrolBen was out bright and early to get us tickets, so we shall be joining you for an awesome night.

Can. Not. Wait.
I have a trailer and everything;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1S-qvSjrY
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Not seen the gorezone lineup but GRIMMFEST *plug plug plug for the northern event* :lol:
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

PatrolDave wrote:What is attracting people to the gorezone lineup?
I am confused.
The chance to attend the UK premieres of some straight to dvd crap that has been out on region 1 for six months already?
"The suspect is armed with a machete in one hand, and his genitals in the other."
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

I am confused.
I'm going to buy a ticket for Gorezone on the Sunday because I want to see Offspring. I've read the book by Jack Ketchum, really liked it (though not as good as Off Season) and want to see the film.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
bohan
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by bohan »

Have to agree that the grimm up north lineup looks fantastic but Gorezone's weekend of horror is not looking at all attractive!
halloweengirl
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by halloweengirl »

Laymonite wrote:
I am confused.
I'm going to buy a ticket for Gorezone on the Sunday because I want to see Offspring. I've read the book by Jack Ketchum, really liked it (though not as good as Off Season) and want to see the film.
Yeah, I'm going to see this too, for the same reasons so I'll see you there!
Twisted Ga
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Twisted Ga »

I have been crying inside for the last 3 days, I love the all-nighters and this year couldn't get a ticket.

Please guys make this event bigger I don't want to miss out again next year. I know the ica is great little venue but thats the problem when frightfest is getting bigger and bigger each year.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Well at least the Borezone tickets are cheaper than last year....still the line up is hardly inspired - Won Ton Baby and Bikiki Girls On Ice, hmmmm :?
Heiko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Heiko »

Seriously, I'm sitting here laughing my arse off!

'Ooooh, FF's stuff is always high quality' 'Baaah, Gorezone is shit'

Are UK genre fans really that shallow?

I mean, guys, we all love genre movies... right?

We get a chance to watch genre movies at this festival or the other.

We might not like all the movies for personal reasons.

But there's no reason to bash any one festival or the other!

I've been going to festivals for almost 20 years now, yes, twice as long as FF has been 'undeading', and I've done so in different countries throughout Europe and North America.

If I had to pick one festival as my favorite, would it be FF? Would it be any one in the UK?

I'll be honest: not really...

for any number of reasons: better prices, better theatres, better planning, better flair, better parties, better this, better that...

and yes, I might have to add better people by now, after readying some posts here!

Does that mean I'm not going to go to any one or the other UK genre festival anymore?

Nope... because it gives me a chance to catch a special screening of that type of movie I really do like!

So, really, if you want go festival bashing, fine, go to the Prince Charles on Oct 31st, carry that big poster saying 'Gorezone sucks', just make sure that you understand that people who like genre movies will think you are a moron!

Peace!
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

aah you mean like the frightfest is dead posters that gz used for many months to promote their event..

but seriously - honestly, to each their own - you pays yer money and takes yer choice.. good luck to the many halloween based fests that have sprung up this year from gz to grimm to the notts one - all good stuff and the last 2 have loads of things on offer that we showcased in august so it will be great for the folks that couldn't attend ff to see those movies on the big screen.

we don't ever think that ff is the best - even after 10 years we are still learning - but we try and put on the best value, friendliest, festival humanly possible.

to all those that are coming to the october event - cool and congrats for getting tickets - we have some tricks n treats planned for y'all!
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Fair enough Heiko - we all pays our money and we all takes our choice..

To be honest, there's a lot going on that evening - it's almost too crowded in terms of UK Horror events...

There's the FF all-nighter (the midnight screening of Paranormal Activity is brilliant scheduling)..

Then of course there's GoreZone, which I must say looks a little weak as they confirmed their line-up ages ago and thus couldn't really slot in any last-minute corkers..

You've also got Chris Cooke's Mayhem Festival in Nottingham, which again looks a great line-up (if you hadn't made the whole main FF event in August)..

And also Manchester's Grimm Up North which is screening the frankly awesome low-budget UK movie Tony..

If that isn't enough - how about Dublin's Horrorthon the week before (Oct 22-26th) - Ed King always programmes a good event with retro screenings in the midnight slot..

Oh and just after Halloween, you have Abertoir in Aberystwyth (Nov 4-8th), as well as some great genre programming at the Leeds International Film Festival..

All of these festivals have good points to them, and it's almost a shame they're all clashing..

Still, as I said, you pays your money and takes your choice, and I think the FF all-nighter is a pretty solid line-up and very good value for money, with the only drawback for me is that it's not at a huge venue, meaning some of us (myself included) have missed out on tickets this year.

Oh well, I hope all of you going have a great time wherever you may be! :D
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Funny - I didn't see Team Banzai's post before posting mine, as I was quite a long time in writing it up, but we bizarrely even used the same phrasing.. :D
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
celluloidscreams
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by celluloidscreams »

While other horror fest events are being talked about, I'll take this opportunity to plug our own event, Celluloid Screams: The Sheffield Horror Film Festival.

It's the weekend before Halloween, and our lineup can be seen at www.celluloidscreams.co.uk

As a longtime attendee of many horror fests around the UK and abroad, it's been a lot of fun putting together Sheffield's first horror fest. I agree with the above posts that there's room for a range of festivals - presumably we're all working towards the same end, namely showcasing the best the genre has to offer.

I second the recommendations for Abertoir and Leeds too, both excellent fests...