The FrightFest ICA all-nighter

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
Rufus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rufus »

Surely there'll be a Cinema on that big boat? Maybe you can get them to show Triangle for you.

On topic, I am mostly looking forward to:

Survival - I have faith that it'll be better than Romero's last 2.

Paranormal Activity - Have tried to avoid hearing too much about this, hopefully it'll be as scary as Ghostwatch.

Daybreakers - The set-up for this one sounds original.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Triangle? Hell no, unless i'm struggling to get to sleep lol

It's not ideal to miss FF but I can as it's a one off and by that point I will be engaged with the wedding to follow in 2013

I could do with peoples thoughts on Dublins Horrorthon as I may go to that and then do the allnighter next year (presuming there is one)

But it won't happen again I can assure you
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

krispyg wrote:Triangle? Hell no, unless i'm struggling to get to sleep lol
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Triangle hits cinemas today... don't listen to KIRspy... he liked Zombie Women of Satan
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
Rufus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rufus »

krispyg wrote:Triangle? Hell no
I just meant cos it's set on a boat......and you'll be on a boat. Never mind :)
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Rufus wrote:
krispyg wrote:Triangle? Hell no
I just meant cos it's set on a boat......and you'll be on a boat. Never mind :)
Deep Rising would have also been a good choice :D
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

krispyg wrote:I could do with peoples thoughts on Dublins Horrorthon as I may go to that and then do the allnighter next year (presuming there is one)
Rawshark and I went to Horrorthon last year - it's pretty awesome! They have some of the best retro screenings you are likely to find anywhere as well as some of the more commercial crowd pleasers (like Saw V, which was shown last year).

If I had more holiday time available, I'd be going again this year - highly recommended.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

kimblebee wrote:
krispyg wrote:I could do with peoples thoughts on Dublins Horrorthon as I may go to that and then do the allnighter next year (presuming there is one)
Rawshark and I went to Horrorthon last year - it's pretty awesome! They have some of the best retro screenings you are likely to find anywhere as well as some of the more commercial crowd pleasers (like Saw V, which was shown last year).

If I had more holiday time available, I'd be going again this year - highly recommended.
Yep - awesome retro screenings last year including Night of the Creeps and Night of the Lepus, but best of all - a big screen showing of The Impossible Kid which goes down in my book as one of the best cinema experiences ever! :D
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by krispyg »

Thanks all, I need to find something where I may catch up on some of what I will miss at FF next year so that seemed the logical conclusion.

Either that or stay on America and then head off to Toronto or Austin after my holiday?
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

Peter Pan is holding my ticket, so i'm in.

I'm pretty excited about a new Dead movie and i just saw a trailer for Daybreakers, which did look pretty cool- like a Blade meets Ultraviolet but harder.

What can people tell me about the other stuff?

Will there be anything as fabulously cheap and trashy as Zombie Women of Satan?
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Mr Bill wrote:Will there be anything as fabulously cheap and trashy as Zombie Women of Satan?
I hope not. I don't want to have to walk out of a fest again. What am I supposed to do at that time of night? :)
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

streetrw wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:Will there be anything as fabulously cheap and trashy as Zombie Women of Satan?
I hope not. I don't want to have to walk out of a fest again. What am I supposed to do at that time of night? :)
Philestine! (insert appropriate smiley to convey playfull banter instead of personal criticism)

Zombie Women of Satan was an unpolished gem of truly independent, wing and a prayer film makeing. It's rare to find a film brought to fruition without studios, focus groups, censors and plain old good taste and quality control impacting the final product. With the enthusiasm to budget ratio so high, and the shameless exploitation agenda, it felt like the glory days of Troma were back, and they'd brought burlesque dancers! The sheer bravura behind the main players more than makes up for any uneven acting, and any failings in cinematography, editing and all round filmcraft, are explained by the low cost and excused by the sheer gusto that replaced them. And the entourage of busty zombie ladies near made my week.

Sure i like quality, well crafted, intelligent films on the whole, but now and then (maybe once per fest is enough), bring on the truly silly shit.

Blood and Boobies and a Wanking Clown... World class.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

You and your masturbating clown fetish...... It's just wierd you know!
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by krispyg »

streetrw wrote:
Find a shotgun, get some bullets and hunt down the people behind the film perhaps?
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Mr Bill wrote:Philestine! (insert appropriate smiley to convey playfull banter instead of personal criticism)

Zombie Women of Satan was an unpolished gem of truly independent, wing and a prayer film makeing. It's rare to find a film brought to fruition without studios, focus groups, censors and plain old good taste and quality control impacting the final product. With the enthusiasm to budget ratio so high, and the shameless exploitation agenda, it felt like the glory days of Troma were back, and they'd brought burlesque dancers! The sheer bravura behind the main players more than makes up for any uneven acting, and any failings in cinematography, editing and all round filmcraft, are explained by the low cost and excused by the sheer gusto that replaced them. And the entourage of busty zombie ladies near made my week.
Well, this is where we differ very slightly.

[1] ZWOS was not an unpolished gem, it was an unpolished turd. (On the basis of the first twenty minutes before I bailed, at least - there was no evidence that it was going to get any better and even if it was about to break through to some kind of quality after the first reel, that it was going to be worth it. And, as I said at the time, I've never walked out in 25 years at the cinema - be it the dullest of Merchant Ivorys, the stupidest of slasher remakes, the impenetrablest of Peter Greenaways.)

[2] The glory days of Troma never happened: everything they've put their name to has been tiresome, obnoxious garbage aimed at the lowest common denominator: indiscriminating teenagers with low standards who'll watch absolutely anything if it's got plastic tits and exploding heads in it. If Troma have any plus points on the ticksheet, it's for picking up Buddy Giovinazzo's incredible American Nightmare (Combat Shock) for distribution.

[3] What's so bad about quality control? What's wrong with having someone telling the "film-makers" - this doesn't work, that's not funny, this bit goes on too long, she can't act? What's so terrible about wanting to make something better? Conversely, what's so great about making a terrible movie? If you've got a shot at geting a film made, don't you really want it to be the best it can possibly be? (Was there anything in ZWOS that would trouble the censors unduly?)

[4] I'm not bothered about uneven acting, it's the absence of acting that annoys me. Uneven suggests there's some good and some bad - I didn't see any acting at all. And the lack of decent acting IS a problem that every low-budget horror movie faces and some fail to solve. You CAN skate round it with fairly bland characterisation and you CAN disguise it by upping the ratio of splattery screaming to heartfelt dialogue. Many actually bite the bullet and hire people who can give a decent enough line reading. But assuming that nobody cares, therefore we don't need to bother, is just showing contempt for the paying audience.

[5] Enthusiasm doesn't make up for incompetence, whether in brain surgery or film-making. Busty women in their underwear doesn't make up for it either.
Sure i like quality, well crafted, intelligent films on the whole, but now and then (maybe once per fest is enough), bring on the truly silly shit.
Nope - that's what Gorezone Weekend Of Terror is for! (If they'll screen Gutterballs they'll screen anything.) FF is supposed to showcase the best and ZWOS has no business being on the Empire screen - indeed it's got no business being on any screen outside the director's living room. At least it was on first thing so at least there was something better to do - even if it was just skulking round the West End - but if it's three in the morning and the film's walkout bad you can't even do that.

:)
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Sometimes I love Street's posts so much me little puppet heart breaks :lol:

Although I have to say Troma - Monster in my Closet is a masterpiece!!