Survival Of The Dead

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Survival Of The Dead

Post by soulmining »

Paul, Ian and I really enjoyed this when it played at TIFF 09 but I know that not all reactions have been so positive... what did the FF crowd think of it?
First things first, stay calm.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

I'm not a great fan of zombie flicks but they are something that I will still watch and obviously you have to respect the talent that George Romero has.

I liked this, not quite enough scares in it but the storyline was good and I would definitly watch it again.

The only part i'd question would be the family rivalries and does that need to be within the film anyway?

I also liked the moral dilemma of keeping the dead alive, would we do that for selfish reasons, it does sort of touch upon a few moral issues within the film. Who are we really doing it for?

As for wether we can train a zombie to eat animals instead of humans, again I can go along with it as an idea but haven't zombies always just lived on and craved human flesh only?
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Rather enjoyed this one. Very much different from the Diary of the Dead. A humourous addition to the Dead series. Very much like the evolving of the zombie and trying to get them to eat other wildllife and not human. Not as gory as I thought it be. Still very entertaining.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i loved this,George is still clearly having fun with the genre,that he can go off and mould a story,thats clearly riffing on yojimbo and a fistfull of dollars with out going the whole way of doing it.
More crowd freindly than diary and still with the humour we so evidently saw in diary, but less gory surprisingly,my only qualm was the violence to the horse and i know its not a real horse but non the same,im not a fan of horses being hurt real or not.
But i really hope this gets a wide release and maybe we could see what happens to the guys from land of the dead with dead reckoning in any future movies.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Good fun - Romero continues his return to form.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

OMG Kirspy!!! I completely forgot you were there!! :(

I enjoyed this and I really don't like zombie flicks but this was a well made little film, a lot better than Diary of The Dead, I loved the collective "Oh!! That..." when we discover where the main character is from... :lol:
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

I know you forgot, I thought yes I have escaped being mauled and molested this time round lol

I only got there ten minutes before so ended up right at the back anyway.

Anyway yeah I don't think theres much more I can say than has already been said, good fun, watchable and enjoyable. Doesn't break any boundries or do anything new but I do like the moral undertone running through it. Keeping zombies working after they have died for example.
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
nekro
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nekro »

better than diary, better than land, better than day(perhaps). it was really slick, some really inventive killings and great effects. story was ok, kept me entertained
PatrolDave
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by PatrolDave »

my only qualm was the violence to the horse and i know its not a real horse but non the same,im not a fan of horses being hurt real or not.
I was pretty chuffed when I saw that horse get taken down, just because I like to see how many people will complain about it [in a film where humans are shot, set of fire and pulled apart].

I liked Survival. I thought there was a little too much comedy and a little too much CGI [flare head, tut tut].

I wish they would just give Romero more money and let him go crazy with the genre. I couldn't help thinking this was very reserved and a little too intimate, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but Romero's outbreak is epic and he should be able to cover it.

I loved the fueding families and the final shot was AMAZING!
Best final shot of the night [that's how you finish a film, Umbrage].
I have a trailer and everything;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1S-qvSjrY
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

New Romero movie - preview. Nice.

:D
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Rufus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Rufus »

I was really happy with this - a definite return to form I reckon.
Loved the ferry scene with the underwater zombies.
I also like that it had some deeper themes but without the preachiness of Diary, which pissed me off a bit with the stuff about how youtube makes us into uncaring monsters.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Hmmm, not too sure about this one. It kept my interest more than Diary but I felt the 'big' scenes of zombie gorefest a little underwhelming. Some pretty bad CGI in there too.

Didn't hate it but wouldn't watch again.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

didn't think this one was that great, about on a level with Diary I'd say, a bit "meh" overall.
Pumpkin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pumpkin »

I thought this was a great return to form and proof of what a good director can achieve on a relatively restrained budget.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Loved it, but I knew I would! But I agree about the CGI, very dodgy in some places.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!